GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Prepare a Concrete Application Plan!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

30-minutes personal consultation for application planning.
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.

chance of getting into mba programs (low gpa, but crazy story)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
chance of getting into mba programs (low gpa, but crazy story)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 21:15
Hello mbaMission,

Please take some time to evaluate my profile,

-Asian or Pacific Islander Male (U.S. citizen)

-4.0 Major GPA at a SEC school (double major in digital marketing and entrepreneurship)/ a perfect senior thesis and capstone project/ 2.85 cumulative GPA (switched major as a junior, increased from lower 2s to 2.85 without retaking classes)

Some of you might know that, Asian parents want their male children to grow poor so they can develop a hard-working mentality, but I never wanted to be poor at school, and I worked 50 hours per week at Domino's to finance my sport car and lifestyle, which messed up the grade a lot (I feel SO regretful until this very moment). Due to poor grades, I got into an elevated academic probation from my major department. I later switched from Financial Engineering to digital marketing as a junior to focus on my new passion of advertising, but more importantly, to strategically get registration clearance from the the university itself rather than my major department, and yeah, my plan got terribly wrong... my previous department's retention committee noticed my major change, they went so far and called the business school to expel me as a student, although my mid-semester grades are in A ranges. They later forced me to switch major to liberal studies (virtually means nothing, everyone knows it :cry: :cry: ), or permanently expel me as a student because they viewed my major change as a serious disciplinary issue rather than a change of better career path. I knew that, with a low GPA in liberal studies major, my future career could be over before even starting. Then, for the first time of my college career, I opened up to my parents about my academic and personal struggles, and they thought a lawsuit against my major department was the only option to save me from these messes. I took a full year gap and formed a team of legal experts, detectives and psychological professionals that we considered as a dream team in my state, and I eventually gathered enough evidence to sue my major department for some very serious charges, ended up settling with my university out of court for a huge settlement ( :tongue_opt1 I guess they really messed up at this time, big time... and the result was an instant millionaire), because they didn't want me to release detailed evidence to news outlets :lol: :lol: :lol:

- I have 4 years of relevant working and internship experience in business management and digital marketing field, all after the academic probation (One summer at a local advertising company under brand management department, one summer at Accenture as a digital marketing intern, and last summer, before graduating, I did an intelligence analysis internship at the Fed with the help of a customer. In addition, I also co-found a relatively successful chain of barbecue restaurants and three automobile dealerships using my settlement money)

-My GRE score is slightly above 320 after three tries (near perfect quant score in all three tries), but only 660 in GMAT after two tries (low verbal score)

-relevant skills: indesign, photoshop, sql, tableau, google analytics, microsoft office

-values: very detail orientated, strong teamwork ability, strong desire of making positive changes, strong analytical, critical and strategical thinking skills.

-tons of extracurricular activities and volunteering experiences (red cross, local churches and police station)

-I wish to apply for a school that has strong marketing or advertising focus, and hopefully I can translate these skills into my brand's growth and success in the future.

List of schools:

-Darden
-Ross
-NYU
-Carroll
-USC
-Minnesota
-Uconn
-Iowa
-Purdue

I know the full-time program at any school can be an uphill battle for me due to my low GPA and 8 W's on my transcript, so I will probably only consider part time and online programs at these schools. I also intentionally dodged all SEC schools, since they may blackball me altogether due to the lawsuit I had with my UG school.

What is my chance of getting into these schools? I am really appreciated for your help! :please :please :please :please
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: chance of getting into mba programs (low gpa, but crazy story)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 18:05
Hi joelee7007,
Thanks for reaching out. You're right that you've got a pretty atypical story! You will definitely need to write an optional essay explaining the low GPA and transcript -- be honest, show remorse, and keep it brief. I think you need to tread carefully regarding discussing the lawsuit, as that is a pretty unusual situation and could be viewed negatively by other schools, even non-SEC schools. To combat those GPA concerns, getting as high a GRE score as possible is the best strategy. Sounds like you're doing pretty well there, especially on the quant side. You could also consider taking (and getting As in) some supplemental coursework before you apply. I'm also concerned about your amount/consistency of work experience -- am I right that all of that has been summer internships? Most applicants have 4-6 years of full-time, post-college experience. It's possible to get accepted with less than that, but makes me wonder whether waiting to gain some more experience + gain some time away to reflect grow from the academic situation might be worth it.

But if you're going to apply now, then I agree that part-time or online options would be a better option because they are less competitive. I think some of the top ones on your list, like NYU, could still be challenging though.

Hope this helps, and feel free to reach out to us for a free phone consult, since your situation is pretty unique (link in my signature).
-Kate

joelee7007 wrote:
Hello mbaMission,

Please take some time to evaluate my profile,

-Asian or Pacific Islander Male (U.S. citizen)

-4.0 Major GPA at a SEC school (double major in digital marketing and entrepreneurship)/ a perfect senior thesis and capstone project/ 2.85 cumulative GPA (switched major as a junior, increased from lower 2s to 2.85 without retaking classes)

Some of you might know that, Asian parents want their male children to grow poor so they can develop a hard-working mentality, but I never wanted to be poor at school, and I worked 50 hours per week at Domino's to finance my sport car and lifestyle, which messed up the grade a lot (I feel SO regretful until this very moment). Due to poor grades, I got into an elevated academic probation from my major department. I later switched from Financial Engineering to digital marketing as a junior to focus on my new passion of advertising, but more importantly, to strategically get registration clearance from the the university itself rather than my major department, and yeah, my plan got terribly wrong... my previous department's retention committee noticed my major change, they went so far and called the business school to expel me as a student, although my mid-semester grades are in A ranges. They later forced me to switch major to liberal studies (virtually means nothing, everyone knows it :cry: :cry: ), or permanently expel me as a student because they viewed my major change as a serious disciplinary issue rather than a change of better career path. I knew that, with a low GPA in liberal studies major, my future career could be over before even starting. Then, for the first time of my college career, I opened up to my parents about my academic and personal struggles, and they thought a lawsuit against my major department was the only option to save me from these messes. I took a full year gap and formed a team of legal experts, detectives and psychological professionals that we considered as a dream team in my state, and I eventually gathered enough evidence to sue my major department for some very serious charges, ended up settling with my university out of court for a huge settlement ( :tongue_opt1 I guess they really messed up at this time, big time... and the result was an instant millionaire), because they didn't want me to release detailed evidence to news outlets :lol: :lol: :lol:

- I have 4 years of relevant working and internship experience in business management and digital marketing field, all after the academic probation (One summer at a local advertising company under brand management department, one summer at Accenture as a digital marketing intern, and last summer, before graduating, I did an intelligence analysis internship at the Fed with the help of a customer. In addition, I also co-found a relatively successful chain of barbecue restaurants and three automobile dealerships using my settlement money)

-My GRE score is slightly above 320 after three tries (near perfect quant score in all three tries), but only 660 in GMAT after two tries (low verbal score)

-relevant skills: indesign, photoshop, sql, tableau, google analytics, microsoft office

-values: very detail orientated, strong teamwork ability, strong desire of making positive changes, strong analytical, critical and strategical thinking skills.

-tons of extracurricular activities and volunteering experiences (red cross, local churches and police station)

-I wish to apply for a school that has strong marketing or advertising focus, and hopefully I can translate these skills into my brand's growth and success in the future.

List of schools:

-Darden
-Ross
-NYU
-Carroll
-USC
-Minnesota
-Uconn
-Iowa
-Purdue

I know the full-time program at any school can be an uphill battle for me due to my low GPA and 8 W's on my transcript, so I will probably only consider part time and online programs at these schools. I also intentionally dodged all SEC schools, since they may blackball me altogether due to the lawsuit I had with my UG school.

What is my chance of getting into these schools? I am really appreciated for your help! :please :please :please :please

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
Re: chance of getting into mba programs (low gpa, but crazy story)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 07:20
Hello Kate,

Thank you so much for giving me these amazing suggestions, I think these are truly helpful to me!

I decide to enroll as a spring 2020 student, since I know most of online mba programs have rolling application, and I can work one more year to gain a total of 4 1/2 years of working experience.

My working experiences (business experiences) in the past 3 1/2 years are full-time, so I basically worked full-time while attending classes as a full-time student. I also did some internships over summers, some are big name companies and some are local firms.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 19:39
Hi again,

Got it -- I wasn't sure if that was full-time. Sounds like a great plan then!

Thanks,
Kate

joelee7007 wrote:
Hello Kate,

Thank you so much for giving me these amazing suggestions, I think these are truly helpful to me!

I decide to enroll as a spring 2020 student, since I know most of online mba programs have rolling application, and I can work one more year to gain a total of 4 1/2 years of working experience.

My working experiences (business experiences) in the past 3 1/2 years are full-time, so I basically worked full-time while attending classes as a full-time student. I also did some internships over summers, some are big name companies and some are local firms.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 08:39
Wow we have some similar experiences beside the lawsuit... Hope you the best bro!

chance of getting into mba programs (low gpa, but crazy story)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap