GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 09:16

Q&A in Progress!

AMA with ExamPAL. Ask all your questions about GMAT Prep to expert. Join HERE

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Chance with ACademic Violation on Transcript

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Chance with ACademic Violation on Transcript  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 11:26
Hey guys, so long and stressful story short the begining of my sophomore year I messed up and pulled out my phone before handing in my test and the teacher noticed and I recieved a Failure in the class and had an IA which got removed later. I know applications ask whether ive gotten in trouble regarding academic violations. I have deeply regretted my decision that day and its changed my in ways I cant describe. After the event I still tried even harder bringing my GPA back up (I retook the class for an A) as well as getting more involved with the community and volunteering. I was wondering is this on my application going to bar me out of any graduate business school. I know how bad it looks but Ive always wanted to go into healthcare administration and i feel as though my application is now worthless because of this incident. The incident happened about 3 years ago now and other than that I have a great graduating GPA and EC's and so on.

I just dont know whether my application is hopeless or not its really been a stressful time because of it.
ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
Re: Chance with ACademic Violation on Transcript  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 11:44
Hi peterchris123,

it shouldn't be an issue as long as you clearly explain the circumstances, how you reacted, the lessons learned and how it changed you positively.

May I ask which schools you're applying to? Feel free to PM me directly.

Good luck!
Alex

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +52 1 55 2702 0059
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: http://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Please, email us your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 15:04
Thanks for the advice man I appreciate it, right now im looking near my area which is the NJ/Penn. area so Temple, Penn, etc I haven't really been set on one but looking at the temple application it asks about it and im sure others do as well and I just didnt know whether checking the box would pretty much be the end of any chance at graduate schooling.
ARLee Consulting
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 15:21
Hi peterchris123,

you're welcome. I'm glad it helped.

Like I said, use the Optional Essay (when available) to clearly explain it.

May I ask for your GMAT score? Maybe you could consider other schools such as Tepper.

Best,
Alex

HR Executive Director

VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 20:49
I agree completely with Alex. As a reader, I would be interested in learning about where your head space was then and where it is now... I really like the fact that this is actually been a transformative experience for you and I think you should detail that. Would encourage you to be as transparent as possible in all areas of describing this.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 14:43
Thanks for the advice again, and my score is verbal 158 quant 162 writing 4.
And isnt tepper highly competitive. Ive been trying to find lower tier schools because of my Academic Integrity Violation, I felt as though top universities wouldnt want to take that chance with me :(
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 15:05
I'm not actually so sure that lower rate schools verses hiring schools would be more willing on this. It might be a wise idea for you to actually attend some of these admissions events that are coming up like the MBA tour or the QS tour and approach admissions officers with this particular inquiry and see what their thoughts are. I would hate for you to intentionally apply to lower ranks schools for no good. reason. Just because of some assumption that might be wrong.

Farrell Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 15:41
Ill definitely try and ask a few admissions comitee people about it and thats true, I should probably apply to all the schools near me, worst case scenario they just decline me rather than lowering my school pool. Also, I have been trying to search up online about my situation and the reason why I have been really stressed out is that most of my situation is found on a pre med forum and they essentially said that applying to medical school is hopeless with an Academic Violation. Ive been trying my hardest and I just hope that I can get into at least one graduate school. I realize how bad I messed up pulling out my phone, I just want thinking and I have to say its changed me a lot. Just got to hope that atleast one school will overlook it and I wont be stuck with just a BS forever. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply its helped alot and both of your optimistic views have helped me out a lot as well. I appreciate any more advice it all helps!
ARLee Consulting
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 16:26
I don't know much about med school, but I would assume admissions for med school and b-school are very different.

Definitely contact the schools and ask them about it.

Don't limit your school pool just to lower tier schools. I don't think they will necessary go easier just because they're lower ranked. Furthermore, your GRE score is not too bad for a school like Tepper. Higher would be better, but definitely still possible to get accepted with a strong application.

Good luck!

HR Executive Director

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 18:28
Thank you so much, you guys have given me some hope that my application isn't hopeless. I appreciate it greatly as I was hesitating to not even waste my time applying.
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 00:38
peterchris123 wrote:
Ill definitely try and ask a few admissions comitee people about it and thats true, I should probably apply to all the schools near me, worst case scenario they just decline me rather than lowering my school pool. Also, I have been trying to search up online about my situation and the reason why I have been really stressed out is that most of my situation is found on a pre med forum and they essentially said that applying to medical school is hopeless with an Academic Violation. Ive been trying my hardest and I just hope that I can get into at least one graduate school. I realize how bad I messed up pulling out my phone, I just want thinking and I have to say its changed me a lot. Just got to hope that atleast one school will overlook it and I wont be stuck with just a BS forever. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply its helped alot and both of your optimistic views have helped me out a lot as well. I appreciate any more advice it all helps!

peterchris123,
Suggest you look at the possibilities of schools NOT overlooking your mistake, but actually considering how that situation reformed you. Turn it on its head, and assert how you have been there, and rebounded to become a Clean person, NOT for the sake of getting admissions, but because you wanted to do the right thing.

Your A grades demonstrate your capabilities (and the degree you have changed). While there is no har in playing safe and applying to lower schools, you should apply to those higher up as well.

As for the location, may I suggest you broaden your locations you are considering. Or do domestic distances really matter?

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 14:50
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
peterchris123 wrote:

peterchris123,
Suggest you look at the possibilities of schools NOT overlooking your mistake, but actually considering how that situation reformed you. Turn it on its head, and assert how you have been there, and rebounded to become a Clean person, NOT for the sake of getting admissions, but because you wanted to do the right thing.

Your A grades demonstrate your capabilities (and the degree you have changed). While there is no har in playing safe and applying to lower schools, you should apply to those higher up as well.

As for the location, may I suggest you broaden your locations you are considering. Or do domestic distances really matter?

Yea I think I am going to try and show how it affected me and resulted in a huge growth in maturity amongst other things, as well as how I have learned from the situation and since have been trying to better myself. Its good to know that the checkbox isnt just a instant decline and that theyll hopefully look at what I have to say and possibly give me a chance.
Intern
Intern
B
Chance with ACademic Violation on Transcript  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 12:24
TheIvyLeagueEdge Also sorry I forgot to answer your other question, although being local would be great I actually began to realize how much I like commuting after the academic integrity incident and have been trying to do my best to stay at home if possible however, if I cant that is fine as well, I should probably apply everywhere then. I just didn't know whether i had a chance or not at any mba program or even graduate schooling.
Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 03:15
peterchris123 wrote:
Hey guys, so long and stressful story short the begining of my sophomore year I messed up and pulled out my phone before handing in my test and the teacher noticed and I recieved a Failure in the class and had an IA which got removed later. I know applications ask whether ive gotten in trouble regarding academic violations. I have deeply regretted my decision that day and its changed my in ways I cant describe. After the event I still tried even harder bringing my GPA back up (I retook the class for an A) as well as getting more involved with the community and volunteering. I was wondering is this on my application going to bar me out of any graduate business school. I know how bad it looks but Ive always wanted to go into healthcare administration and i feel as though my application is now worthless because of this incident. The incident happened about 3 years ago now and other than that I have a great graduating GPA and EC's and so on.

I just dont know whether my application is hopeless or not its really been a stressful time because of it.

Hey peterchris123,

Thanks for your query and we do hope we aren't too late in replying to you.

This story must be narrated in your Optional Essay and the portrayal of the same must focus on how you have transformed as an individual. Speak about your journey since then, the learning you have had and the approach that you adopted thereon. Focus on your academic credentials and GPA and just make no excuse at all for whatever happened :) Most importantly, do not fret :) A good essay and positive frame of mind will surely work in your favour!

All the best! :)

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Chance with ACademic Violation on Transcript &nbs [#permalink] 01 Feb 2018, 03:15

Chance with ACademic Violation on Transcript

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap