GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 12:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Check my loan math? Interest only vs full deferment.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Check my loan math? Interest only vs full deferment.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 07:43
Hi All,

I feel like I'll be much more qualified to figure all this out post MBA :), so I'd love for someone to take a look. Hopefully it will help others as well. This math may be completely wrong, I'm an engineer not a financial analyst!

Let's say for the sake of simplicity that the total amount I'm borrowing over 2 years is $140,000, and I'll look at CommonBond fixed rate only. What I want to determine is the trade-off between full deferment, and making interest only payments while in school.

Terms are all the same:
- 6% APR fixed
- 2% fee
- 10yr period

For simplicity, let's break it up into two equal loans of $70,000 (this is how it works right??).

Year 1
- Loan amount: $70,000
- Deferral period: 2 years
- Principal after 2 years: $78,924
- Monthly interest accrued: $371

Year 2
- Loan amount: $70,000
- Deferral period: 1 year
- Principal after 1 year: $74,328
- Monthly interest accrued: $360

So with no interest only payments:
Total principal after deferral: $153,252
Monthly payment: $1,735

But then it looks like in year 2 I'm accruing over $700 per month in interest. Let's say I pay that down every month, and my total principal upon graduation is an even $140,000. My monthly payment only goes down to: $1,585. Only a difference of $150.

I'd rather pay an extra $150/mo once I have a job than $700 per month with no job. It seems as though interest only payments are not worth it.

Is my math wrong / should I have come to a different conclusion?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Check my loan math? Interest only vs full deferment.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:02
I think you are close. I came up with slightly different numbers.... maybe I am off with some of my assumptions - attaching excel file for reference.
(I would also recommend checking LendKey - i met the guy who runs their student loan program and they work heavily with local small lenders such as credit unions. They have no origination fees)

Balance difference: $13,483.00
Pmt difference $177.19

I think you are spot on with analysis. Your payment would be around 10% more as the result of not paying interest while at school. Most don't and most choose to borrow less as the result. I can tell you, however, is that there are many expenses, trips, and opportunities while at business school and you want to have a reserve.... you don't want to scramble or be like me and live on the credit cards part of the way, though I have to say it worked out.

Attachment:
pmt calc.png
pmt calc.png [ 111.99 KiB | Viewed 511 times ]

Attachments

nycengineer loan math.xlsx [11.72 KiB]
Downloaded 9 times

To download please login or register as a user

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Check my loan math? Interest only vs full deferment.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 11:04
Thank you! I'm glad we are in the ballpark. Yeah, I plan to to extensive comparisons between lenders, but I just wanted to fix all that for the purposes of the interest-only payment decision.

I definitely hear you on the reserve for trips etc. This may seem like a low number overall but I'm lucky to have some other funding sources to contribute with.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Check my loan math? Interest only vs full deferment. &nbs [#permalink] 23 Mar 2018, 11:04

Check my loan math? Interest only vs full deferment.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap