Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Chicago trip [#permalink]
Anyone have any tips/suggestions for touring Kellogg? Its campus visits seem less structured than Booth Live, so if I have to be active in my approach I want to get the full value from the experience. Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Moss wrote:
Anyone have any tips/suggestions for touring Kellogg? Its campus visits seem less structured than Booth Live, so if I have to be active in my approach I want to get the full value from the experience. Thanks.

Yes, I recommend you just skip Kellogg altogether. It's such a third tier school anyway.

Jokes aside, my advice is to check out more than the Kellogg building, ask someone to point you towards the Norris student center and walk around that area. One of the nice things about NU is its location right on the lake.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Also, if anyone wants to go out for a drink thursday night let me know
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
rhyme wrote:

I'm def in for a drink Rhyme.

So if people are planning to go to both Chicago and NW,where should we stay? Is it better by either school?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
rhyme wrote:
Yes, I recommend you just skip Kellogg altogether. It's such a third tier school anyway.

Yes, well at least we don't need to wear body armor to class to avoid the drive by shootings in Hyde Park.

I actually would disagree with rhyme about exploring other buildings on the NU campus. Yes, the lakefront campus is very nice, but to be completely honest for the most part Kellogg students spend the vast majority of their time in Jacobs. So unless you want to hang out with undergrads (and I'm not judging you if you do), I'd say the time is better spent either sitting in on another class you're interested in or just hanging out in the atrium and talking to current students.

As for where to stay, I'd actually recommend staying in downtown Chicago since its roughly midway between the two schools. If you stay in Evanston, it's a long, long train ride or expensive cab ride down to the southside ghetto that Booth calls home, and if you stay in Hyde Park, it's a long, long train ride or expensive cab ride up to the upscale northside area where Kellogg is.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Yes, well at least we don't need to wear body armor to class to avoid the drive by shootings in Hyde Park.

I actually would disagree with rhyme about exploring other buildings on the NU campus. Yes, the lakefront campus is very nice, but to be completely honest for the most part Kellogg students spend the vast majority of their time in Jacobs. So unless you want to hang out with undergrads (and I'm not judging you if you do), I'd say the time is better spent either sitting in on another class you're interested in or just hanging out in the atrium and talking to current students.

As for where to stay, I'd actually recommend staying in downtown Chicago since its roughly midway between the two schools. If you stay in Evanston, it's a long, long train ride or expensive cab ride down to the southside ghetto that Booth calls home, and if you stay in Hyde Park, it's a long, long train ride or expensive cab ride up to the upscale northside area where Kellogg is.

LOLOLOL....wooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww..

Anywho, couldn't agree more...with the where to stay part....I stayed downtown Chicago when I was there. Like Jerz said, it is about halfway between the two schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategic Management
Schools:Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
 Q46  V47
Send PM
I'll probably be attending those days as well. PM me!

Rhyme, definitely down for a drink on Thursday.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:

Hi Rhyme,

Count me in. Could you drop me a PM with details.

Thanks in advance!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey guys, let me know your final plan. I don't have any classes on Thursday but maybe I will substitute my Friday class for Thursday one. So, we can meet at Harper Center.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I have a completely full schedule on thursdays. Next friday at Booth I bet will be a little slower than most. I know a lot of people here that don't have classes on friday are taking off early for the holidays. Thursdays at Kellogg aren't that exciting, you wont get to see TG or anything like that. However, it will probably be less crowded...today there were 200 visitors on campus I guess. Do not go to an accounting or finance class. You are much better off attending something much more interactive like marketing or strategy...if you go to a finance class try to get into international fin or entrepreneurial fin. Much more interesting than a plain boring core fin class.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the tip, RR. Does anyone else have suggestions for good classes to visit at Kellogg this Thursday?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Any idea on what could be a proper attire for the chicago live?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:

Most people go business casual, a few people wear suits. Those in suits usually stick out like blinking neon signs and frankly look a little silly. I'd suggest business casual if you want to "blend in" with candidates, and jeans if you want to blend in with students and don't mind being a little more dressed down than the average candidate. Either way, you won't be judged on what you wear so don't spend much time fretting about it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

Most people go business casual, a few people wear suits. Those in suits usually stick out like blinking neon signs and frankly look a little silly. I'd suggest business casual if you want to "blend in" with candidates, and jeans if you want to blend in with students and don't mind being a little more dressed down than the average candidate. Either way, you won't be judged on what you wear so don't spend much time fretting about it.

Thanks Rhyme!!!

bottom line: DONT wear suits.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Moss wrote:
Thanks for the tip, RR. Does anyone else have suggestions for good classes to visit at Kellogg this Thursday?

Prof. Grayson teaches the core marketing class at 1:30 and 3:30 on Thursday afternoons. There's not a lot of space for visitors but if you can sit in I'd highly recommend it. He and Prof. Hennessy are the most sought after professors for the intro course.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategic Management
Schools:Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Hmm, I may be coming from work which equals suit. Maybe I'll just bring a change of clothes! :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
Moss wrote:

Prof. Grayson teaches the core marketing class at 1:30 and 3:30 on Thursday afternoons. There's not a lot of space for visitors but if you can sit in I'd highly recommend it. He and Prof. Hennessy are the most sought after professors for the intro course.

Thanks for the tip! I'm looking to focus on finance for my MBA -- any suggested courses that would appeal to someone going into the finance industry (specifically i-banking or equity research)?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2