GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Children who are educated at Evans High School tend to do better

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Children who are educated at Evans High School tend to do better  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 02:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

96% (01:06) correct 4% (01:26) wrong based on 52 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Children who are educated at Evans High School tend to do better than children who are educated at Gilbert T. Sloan High School. Since Samuel achieved higher grades than any of his classmates in his first year at the university, he was probably educated at Evans.

Which one of the following most closely parallels the flawed reasoning in the argument above?

A. Quarter Horses are usually taller than Appaloosas. Since Dandy Jim Zip is taller than the other horses in the competition, he must be a Quarter Horse.

B. When people make more money, they generally are able to accumulate more wealth.

C. When children practice piano scales for half an hour each day, they usually do extremely well at recitals. Since Hannah practices scales for less than a half an hour a day, she will have difficulty doing well at her recital.

D. When children have parents who participate in their education, the children generally do better in school. Therefore, if parents want to help their children do better in school, they should participate in their children’s education.

E. When children study math from an early age, they tend to do better in math in adulthood. Therefore, if you want to do better in math as an adult, you should study more as a child.

Hit Kudos :thumbup:
Senior RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Nonprofit
Schools: Haas '21
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Children who are educated at Evans High School tend to do better  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 02:14
Prethinking : The passage starts with comparison of two entities in a particular aspect. Then the passage brings some outside information and links it to the better entity of the initial comparison.

A. Quarter Horses are usually taller than Appaloosas. Since Dandy Jim Zip is taller than the other horses in the competition, he must be a Quarter Horse.

This option compares horses. The later part brings some other information and links it to the better entity from the first line.

B. When people make more money, they generally are able to accumulate more wealth.

There is no comparison in this option. INCORRECT

C. When children practice piano scales for half an hour each day, they usually do extremely well at recitals. Since Hannah practices scales for less than a half an hour a day, she will have difficulty doing well at her recital.

D. When children have parents who participate in their education, the children generally do better in school. Therefore, if parents want to help their children do better in school, they should participate in their children’s education.

E. When children study math from an early age, they tend to do better in math in adulthood. Therefore, if you want to do better in math as an adult, you should study more as a child.

Hence option A

If you like my post press kudos +1

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Tag me in RC questions if you need help. Please provide your analysis of the question in the post along with the tag.

ISB, NUS, NTU Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Children who are educated at Evans High School tend to do better  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Aug 2018, 22:50
Children who are educated at Evans High School tend to do better than children who are educated at Gilbert T. Sloan High School. Since Samuel achieved higher grades than any of his classmates in his first year at the university, he was probably educated at Evans.

The argument states a relationship:
E(children who are educated at Evans High School) > G(children who are educated at Gilbert T. Sloan High School)
It Then applies this relationship ,that if Samuel is better then he must be from Evans, while ignoring other possible causes.

Thus, we look for an answer choice relationship and similar flaws.

Which one of the following most closely parallels the flawed reasoning in the argument above?

Contender. Keep it.

Straightforward relation. Loose it.

Applies the relationship the correct way, while we also want similar flaws. Loose it.

Similar to C. Loose it.

Similar to C. Loose it.

Hence, the Answer is A.

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Originally posted by GmatDaddy on 02 Aug 2018, 22:38.
Last edited by GmatDaddy on 02 Aug 2018, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Senior RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Nonprofit
Schools: Haas '21
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Children who are educated at Evans High School tend to do better  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 22:48
GmatDaddy wrote:
Hence, the Answer is C.

Do you mean option A ?

If you like my post press kudos +1

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Tag me in RC questions if you need help. Please provide your analysis of the question in the post along with the tag.

ISB, NUS, NTU Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 22:50
workout wrote:
GmatDaddy wrote:
Hence, the Answer is C.

Do you mean option A ?

Ohh..Sorry. My bad. Was in hurry.
Will mend it right away.

Thanks for pointing it out ! :thumbup:

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Children who are educated at Evans High School tend to do better &nbs [#permalink] 02 Aug 2018, 22:50

Children who are educated at Evans High School tend to do better

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap