Last visit was: 14 Jul 2024, 09:07 It is currently 14 Jul 2024, 09:07
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33568 [2]
Given Kudos: 4557
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 815 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 756 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Re: Children whose biological parents both have Tic Syndrome Z (TSZ), whic [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO.
C must be the correct answer.

E states that TSZ, in children whose biological parents do not have the illness, goes undiagnosed. This implies that even children whose biological parents don't have TSZ posses the illness but it is not diagnosed at times. This is contradicting our conclusion that TSZ is inherited trait.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Re: Children whose biological parents both have Tic Syndrome Z (TSZ), whic [#permalink]
Kudos
carcass wrote:

This question is a part of QOTD Question Collection

Children whose biological parents both have Tic Syndrome Z (TSZ), which is characterized by the involuntary contraction of certain muscles, are about four times more likely to develop such contractions than are children whose biological parents do not have TSZ, It is likely, therefore, that predisposition to TSZ is an inherited trait.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion above?

(A) Children whose parents have TSZ are more likely to develop TSZ if they are under unusual stress at school or at home than if they are not under such stress.
(B) Children whose biological parents do not have TSZ are more likely to develop TSZ if they are raised by adoptive parents with TSZ than if they are raised by their biological parents.
(C) Children whose biological parents have TSZ are as likely to develop TSZ if they are raised by adoptive parents who do not have TSZ as if they are raised by their biological parents.
(D) Children whose biological parents have TSZ and who develop TSZ usually avoid developing a severe form of the syndrome if they seek treatment for TSZ shortly after developing the first signs of it.
(E) Children with TSZ whose biological parents do not have TSZ are less likely to have the syndrome diagnosed when symptoms first appear than are children with TSZ whose biological parents have TSZ.

Child whose parents BOTH have TSZ = involuntary control of muscles >> have 4x chance of develop such contracts than Child whose parents don’t have TSZ >> So, likelihood of having TSZ is an inherited.

a) Child with TSZ parents are more like to get TSZ if they are stressed >> doesn’t explain y its inherited..
b) Child with non-TSZ parents are more like to get TSZ from TSZ not-parents >> this would weaken.. its saying TSZ can be developed from something else other than inherited..
c) Child with TSZ parents are likely to have TSZ if they are raised by non-TSZ not-parents or by TSZ parents >> so “maybe” its inherited…
d) Out of scope.. doesn’t explain if TSZ is mostly inherited or else..
d) Out of scope.. doesn’t explain if TSZ is mostly inherited or else..

(C) i think is the answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
821 posts