Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Design (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: Clearly something went from 500 to 610 to 460 [#permalink]
Kudos
Don't give up. Keep studying.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you kostyan5 for the encouragement!! :-D

Have you taken exam?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Not yet. I'm studying now. I'm in no hurry so I'm doing it without pressure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Hey, if you are not planning to apply this year.. I would say take more time for GMAT for example take gmat in February . Also don't take the appointment now.. but wait until you are prepared and then take the earliest available.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Hey albe,

I would definitely say yes to your question "can studying too much burn you out?".

I'm on a really similar path on my GMAT journey as you are. My first attempt in 2010 I scored a dismal 420, even though I was scoring a 600 on average. That got me soo upset that I took a few months off, and started studying again in Jan 2011. I originally scheduled my 2nd attempt at the GMAT for April 2011, but after almost 4 months of studying hard core, I burnt myself out again and decided to move the date. So now I'm currently studying, and my exam is scheduled for Dec 13, 2011. I took some time off during the summer to really find that inspiration again and to listen to myself. I found out that personally I got caught up in the go go go of GMAT studying too much, which was in addition to running a business, and would easily burn myself out after 3 months or so of studying. So this time around, i've made a few changes to my studying strategy. In general I put in about 2-3 hours a day on the weekday, and on the weekend about 3-5 hours each day. If i feel myself really getting agitated and frustrated though, I take a break, even for a full day if I have to; as appose to the first couple of attempts where I would just keep going even if I was insanely frustrated.

My practice GMAT's aren't at the level I want them to be yet, but I know what my weaknesses are, especially thanks to an error log, and I know I still have to work on my timing, which actually tends to hurt my score the most it seems.

I think in the end the GMAT is a true test of really knowing yourself in and out, and I think everybody that has taken the GMAT, and i'm talking about those people that don't score a 600+ on there first practice tests or actual attempts, which there seems to be a lot of on this forum :lol: , would agree with me that alot of it comes down to having HOPE! Hope in yourself!

Anyways let me know how your journey is going, and if I come across anything that I think can help you, i'll definitely keep you posted.

Don't give up HOPE! Keep your head up!

NoObstacles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
One more word of caution: do not try to study the night before.. Unwind and have fun.. since you have already worked hard for last few months and nothing that you do or worry about is gonna change the outcome.
I spent almost all of the evening the day before exam watching TV and thinking of funny answers to essay questions on GMAT :P
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts