GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 10:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Columbia EMBA Americas or Chicago Booth EMBA? Thank You

new topic post reply Update application status  

Columbia EMBA Americas or Booth EMBA?

• 100% [1]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Booth   Columbia   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Columbia EMBA Americas or Chicago Booth EMBA? Thank You  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 May 2018, 22:50
I have been accepted by Booth while plan to apply for Columbia next month. Appreciate if you can openly share your critics based on the following information (some of them could be subjective based on my research).

Background:
Male, 30-35 years old, 5-8 years of WE, engineering background (not IT).

Study Goal:
1. Enhance all round business skills including general management, marketing, strategic planning, etc.
2. Learn as much knowledge of capital market, finance, etc. as possible to potentially use it as a tool for my future career.

Post-graduation Goal:
1. First of all, staying at my current field to get constant promotion while in parallel, if opportunity is right, pursue one of the followings
2. Switching to engineering related biz-tech consulting firms;
3. Shortly after or during EMBA span, I might get CFA I & II accomplished and pursue a finance related career. It is more of a long shot while I do have fairly strong quant background.

Pros of Booth:
1. Very strong quant and finance reputation while being ranked #1 in MBA and EMBA category in US NEWS;
2. Very academic with many Nobel laureates while 1-2 will be teaching during class;
3. Strong and wider networking, I felt like.

Cons of Booth:
1. Felt like too academic and not much of international reputation;
2. Curriculum is kind of fixed--48 credits of core curriculum with only 12 credits of electives so I could not apply much of it to my personal goals in capital market, finance, and entrepreneurship;
3. Downtown Gleacher center location made it separated away from main campus.

Pros of Columbia:
1. Flexible curriculum--24 credits of core curriculum while I have 36 credits in electives which I can target 2-3 focused areas of study towards my personal goal;
2. Slightly better international reputation as it is an IVY school located in the City;
3. Better access to the finance industry.

Cons of Columbia:
1. Lower business school ranking;
2. Smaller class size which means stronger networking but limited networking;
3. Faculty might not be in the same caliber compared to Booth, especially in electives.

Originally posted by Alwayszwy on 13 May 2018, 22:21.
Last edited by Alwayszwy on 13 May 2018, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Columbia EMBA Americas or Chicago Booth EMBA? Thank You  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 22:39
Booth has a very strong network in Chicago and will open many doors. CBS will do the same in New York.

But your post sounds a bit like you are unsure about the next career move. MBA is good opportunity to restart your growth and adjust trajectory. Why not FT MBA from Insead for example?

At the same time, I am not sure the brand of the EMBA carries as much as FT when you have a recruiting component to it. If you are staying at your company and growing there, do they care if it Booth, Columbia, or Kelley? Many companies don’t give a flip. Just a checkbox. This has to be personal - something you feel a part of and something you can accomplish with big pride.

Columbia will be stronger internationally but if you want to push it to the max, you only get an MBA once, why not Wharton? Or MIT for Tech and Finance (not sure i know much about their EMBA)? Another school would be Stanford MsX for a more life changing experience in a FT program.

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 23:02
BB, great suggestions which I truly appreciate. Please see my feedback and few follow-up questions and appreciate if you can give more inputs.

1. Sorry about confusion on my career move. I have updated my career goals. As of now, I prefer to stay at my current position while I definitely want to look for opportunities in finance industry--I dont want to sound naive as I dont have much background so I am thinking to use MBA plus CFA I&II to open this door while working for my current employer in parallel. Again, I am not sure if it is realistic or naive;

2. When you mentioned EMBA and FTMBA doesnot carry the same weight in recruiting, do you mean recruiting personnel will potentially close some doors for EMBA students from the same school?

3. My top choice was MIT EMBA while they suggested me to wait for few more years due to lack of WE. Personally, I don't want to wait;

4. I will fall into fellow applicants of Wharton. Although I have strong quant background and good EA result, they could not waive GMAT for me. Considering GMAT and wait for one year for Wharton, I might skip it;

5. Insead and both Sloan Fellow programs (Standford and MIT) are actually fantastic in my mind but I am not sure if I have luxury to stay away from work for even 1 year.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Columbia EMBA Americas or Chicago Booth EMBA? Thank You  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 07:18
I think you’re doing it right. EMBA programs are designed for people staying within their company or industry and looking to get promoted and eventually go to upper management.

With FT programs, you get the advantage of an internship and support from the career services in terms of on campus recruiting events, job leads, etc. This there are more opportunities to move into a diff industry or function.

Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 08:01
Thank you BB, great answers!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Columbia EMBA Americas or Chicago Booth EMBA? Thank You   [#permalink] 14 May 2018, 08:01

Columbia EMBA Americas or Chicago Booth EMBA? Thank You

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch