It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia - Too Late for Rolling Admission?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Columbia - Too Late for Rolling Admission? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 10:08
Hi,

I'm interested in applying to Columbia's B-school but the deadline for fall admission is in 2 weeks on April 15. They also have a program to start in January where they have not yet begun accepting applications. I have only recently begun thinking of applying to business school at all. Would applying for fall admission dramatically reduce my chances of getting in at this point? Is it worth it to try for fall admission or strongly advisable to wait and be one of the first applicants for January term.

Of note, somebody mentioned Columbia strongly wants applicants to want to go there. I'm interested in their value investing program and CBS is the only program in the country that has this so I could convincingly communicate it would be my #1 choice by far. I might not even want to apply elsewhere to be honest.

Thanks

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 10:09
Hi,

I'm interested in applying to Columbia's B-school but the deadline for fall admission is in 2 weeks on April 15. They also have a program to start in January where they have not yet begun accepting applications. I have only recently begun thinking of applying to business school at all. Would applying for fall admission dramatically reduce my chances of getting in at this point? Is it worth it to try for fall admission or strongly advisable to wait and be one of the first applicants for January term.

Of note, somebody mentioned Columbia strongly wants applicants to want to go there. I'm interested in their value investing program and CBS is the only program in the country that has this so I could convincingly communicate it would be my #1 choice by far. I might not even want to apply elsewhere to be honest.

Thanks

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 30

Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.6
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there! I just visited Columbia last week, and I agree, the Value Investing Program is impressive. A note on J-term, as they call their January-start option: it graduates at the same time as those starting in the fall. That means classes throughout the summer and no formal opportunity to complete an internship. If an internship is important to you or your future career, then I would caution you to think hard about applying to J-term. However, Columbia is also in Manhattan, and the students I spoke to mentioned it was very possible to obtain an internship/job in your target industry during the semester. In fact, it's almost an unspoken prerequisite to the Value Investing Program. So I think if you were enterprising and willing to work very hard, you'd be able to achieve all of your goals in the shorter timeframe of J-term.

Good luck!

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 30

Current Student

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.81
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Re: Columbia - Too Late for Rolling Admission? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 18:02
I would say, apply.

Two weeks is short, so be prepared for that. I did 4 apps in two weeks over vacation and it was a pain train, but you can absolutely do Columbia if you are thoughtful about the timeline.

The point you mentioned about your preference for CBS is on point, and important. Say that. The way you put it here was great, only needs a little "formalizing".

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Schools: CBS '14
Re: Columbia - Too Late for Rolling Admission? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2016, 12:20
It is very late for CBS. If you have a stellar profile, you may be ok. What do you think about applying to jterm? Jterm has a lot of people with great buyside experience who do the value investing program.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Columbia - Too Late for Rolling Admission?   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2016, 12:20

Columbia - Too Late for Rolling Admission?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap