It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Combinations/Warcraft

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Combinations/Warcraft [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2008, 05:55
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

i dono how many guys have played the game -- warcraft before, here is an interesting question

in a 4 vs 4 competition, if all team members choose RANDOM when selecting races, how many kinds of races combinations can a team have?
(don't need to consider the order of races, means Orc+NE+HUM+UD and UD+HUM+NE+Orc are the same)

p.s. warcraft is game, which has 4 races, Orc, Night Eve, Human, and Undead. you can choose RANDOM when selecting races, and the chance of being selected in each races is the same.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Combinations/Warcraft [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2008, 11:31
never played warcraft before, so pardon me ignorance about the rules..Since some of the details are sketchy(IMHO), I'm going to assume a few things
1) for each of those games, you'd need exactly 2 players(1 from Team1 and 1 from Team2)
2) Also, in a team, once a player from a team has chosen to play Orc, then the other 3 can't chose Orc. They have to chose between NE+HUM+UD.

Then, for Team1 the race participation will be 4P1 permutations..which is 4! / 1! = 4x3x2

For Team2 race participation equals same as above 4P1 = 4x3x2

Now total # of combinations across the teams for players to be lined up against their opponents for each of Orc,NE,HUM, UD etc is 24x24 = 576 combinations.

Is that the OA or way off target?

excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Re: Combinations/Warcraft [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2008, 18:54
masuhari wrote:
never played warcraft before, so pardon me ignorance about the rules..Since some of the details are sketchy(IMHO), I'm going to assume a few things
1) for each of those games, you'd need exactly 2 players(1 from Team1 and 1 from Team2)
2) Also, in a team, once a player from a team has chosen to play Orc, then the other 3 can't chose Orc. They have to chose between NE+HUM+UD.

Then, for Team1 the race participation will be 4P1 permutations..which is 4! / 1! = 4x3x2

For Team2 race participation equals same as above 4P1 = 4x3x2

Now total # of combinations across the teams for players to be lined up against their opponents for each of Orc,NE,HUM, UD etc is 24x24 = 576 combinations.

Is that the OA or way off target?

ok, let me explain, "4 vs 4" means 2 teams fight together in a competition, with each team has 4 members. now we are considering the possible races combinations of one team. iow, the races combinations of 4 members.
and there is no restriction in choosing races. iwo, you may choose any race no matter what others have chosen.
e.g. one team can be consisted of 4NEs, 3UD+1ORC, or whatever.

also, we DO NOT consider the order of races.
e.g. HUM+HUM+ORC+ORC = ORC+HUM+ORC+HUM

im not sure whether i've explained adequately, feel free to ask

Re: Combinations/Warcraft   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2008, 18:54

Combinations/Warcraft

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap