It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Come to Tsinghua to start your China adventure!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Come to Tsinghua to start your China adventure! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 20:55
This post received
KUDOS
Before coming to China, my understanding of this Asian giant stopped at the language, the negative press we sometimes see in the papers, and historical dramas of my youth. I came here with the intent of learning more about this country, especially with the rapid rise of China in the world economy. Wrapping up my first year in the Tsinghua-MIT Global MBA, I thought I should share my two cents on why I think the decision to come here was the right one!

Firstly, I experienced first hand the power of the Tsinghua student/alumni network. In my first year, I worked on several projects, including organizing a social innovation hackathon, and undertaking a market access strategy study for a healthcare company. For each of these, I had to look for sponsors, speakers, interviewees and the like. All it took was several WeChat messages through the student/alumni network to be able to garner suitable candidates. Looking to find out more about job opportunities in your field of interest, there will definitely be someone in the student/alumni network that will be able to help you out.

Secondly, the MBA program allows you to interact freely with Chinese students in a relatively sheltered environment. Contrary to the perception of the competitive nature of students here, my classmates were an incredibly fun bunch who were able to balance work and play. It was not uncommon to see classmates post lecture notes/recordings in the WeChat groups, or post information about the latest job openings. The smaller class size (<100) also meant that everyone knew each other and we were able to develop closer relationships. Speaking to the Chinese students allowed me to see cultural nuances that exist even with a similar Asian upbringing. These eventually helped me to assimilate better during my summer internship in China.

Yes, coming to China will be a step out of comfort zone; Yes, i have had my fair share of frustrations over not being able to use google and have my vpn hang on me at the worst moments. Coming from the little island of Singapore, the vastness of Beijing still amazes me and expect to be on the road for much longer than you expect due to poor traffic.

But, no city is perfect and I believe that the experiences I have had and friendships forged here makes it all worth the while!

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
CAT Tests
Re: Come to Tsinghua to start your China adventure! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 07:38
Thank you for detailing your experience. Like you, I am from Singapore, I am currently thinking if I should apply to the program this year.

I would love to hear more from you and your experience, I have sent you a pm, hope you can take a look!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Re: Come to Tsinghua to start your China adventure!   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2017, 07:38

Come to Tsinghua to start your China adventure!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap