GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

November 18, 2018

November 18, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

Coming back to GMAT again after a few months of rest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Thread Master - Part Time MBA Programs
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)
Coming back to GMAT again after a few months of rest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 10:45
Hi there,

I started studying GMAT earlier this year and got the score lower than expected back in March/April. I decided to take a few months off as I was burnt out. I still have the fear of whether I will be able to get the score I want (anything above 680 at this point) even after multiple mock exam scores in the range. My official score was 620.

I am planning to study for the next two months and re-take the exam mid-September, giving myself enough time to review the materials again and mentally prepare to tackle GMAT.

If you have any tips for re-takers or any tips for sentence correction, please share! I am extremely bad at sentence correction.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Booth '20 (II)
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
CAT Tests
Re: Coming back to GMAT again after a few months of rest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 18:41
Hi hanamana,
I have a similar story. I took GMAT three times between late 2017-early 2018 and got 600, 650 and 650. I took some months to rest and got back on track one month ago. It is a bit painful to revise all the concepts again - I was first taking live classes in Brazil and now I'm following up the @e-gmat course, planning to retake the test on late august and still catch the first round of schools. Wish you luck on your journey! :)
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jul 2018, 09:38
Hi hanaman,

I’m glad you reached out and I’m happy to help. However, in order to provide some personalized advice, I’d like to first learn some more about you. I have some questions.

1) What was the score breakdown of your official GMAT?

2) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

3) Please describe how you studied. How many hours a day did you study and for how many months? What resources did you use?

4) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

5) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

6) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

7) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

Thanks!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Originally posted by ScottTargetTestPrep on 18 Jul 2018, 06:51.
Last edited by ScottTargetTestPrep on 20 Jul 2018, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 10:01
thiagod wrote:
Hi hanamana,
I have a similar story. I took GMAT three times between late 2017-early 2018 and got 600, 650 and 650. I took some months to rest and got back on track one month ago. It is a bit painful to revise all the concepts again - I was first taking live classes in Brazil and now I'm following up the @e-gmat course, planning to retake the test on late august and still catch the first round of schools. Wish you luck on your journey! :)

Keep up the great work. 650 is a great score, but I am confident you will get the desired score given your dedication and commitment. Wish you the best and please let me know how your August test goes! I'm signed up for mid-September test date!
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 10:07
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi hanaman,

I’m glad you reached out and I’m happy to help. However, in order to provide some personalized advice, I’d like to first learn some more about you. I have some questions.
- Thank you so much for your response.

1) What was the score breakdown of your official GMAT?
- 620 (Q46,V30) with IR 6 and Essay 6

2) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).
- I took 10 practice GMAT tests

1st (Q39, V35) 6/18/2017 - 620 MGMAT I
2nd (Q41, V34) 7/5/2017 - 620 MGMAT II
3rd (Q44, V34) 1/20/2018 - 640 - Kaplan I
4th (Q47, V33) 1/21/2018 - 660 - Kaplan II
5th (Q38, V37) 1/28/2018 - 630 - MGMAT III
6th (Q47, V32) 2/10/2018 - 640 - GMAT Official I
7th (Q44, V35) 2/25/2018 - 650 - MGMAT IV
8th (Q49, V36) 3/11/2018 - 700 - GMAT Official II
9th (Q49, V38) 3/24/2018 - 710 - GMAT Official III
10th (Q49, V38) 4/1/2018 - 710 - GMAT Official IV

3) Please describe how you studied. How many hours a day did you study and for how many months? What resources did you use?
- 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour at night - one hour of each Quant or Verbal. Did that 6 days out of one week with one weekend dedicated for test-taking as well as reviewing the questions I got wrong. Manhattan Prep books, Kaplan, and Official GMAT were primary resources that I used. I did this for good 2-3 months.

4) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?
- I am looking at Booth PT, Kellogg PT, and Haas PT. I was debating between FT and PT and am leaning more towards PT program. Their deadlines is January 7th 2019. I might be applying to HSW during Round 2, but that is also due January 2019.

5) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?
- Signed up for 9/22 test date. I'd like to be done with GMAT by end of October.

6) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?
- I can dedicate two hours during the week and 5 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday. I'd like to take the Friday night off to give my mind a relax.

7) Have you ever had accommodations on any test? For example, extra time, a private room, or extra breaks? Do you have any medical diagnoses that could impact your studying or GMAT performance, such as ADHD, generalized anxiety, depression, or learning disabilities?
- I have not and will not.

8) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.
- I tried to mimic the test environment as much as I could while taking the practice exams. I don't think it's the nerves, but rather my tendency to not perform well on the test day. I am looking to score anywhere above +680 at this point.

Thanks!

See my responses in the quote box.
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 13:22
I took a practice exam after a month of studying and scored a 710. Will I be capable of scoring in the high 600s? I've scored 710s in the last three GMAC exams (including two prior to the 1st test which I got a 620).
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 13:29
hanamana,
My experiences with GMAT prep were not very good. I score really bad on 2 first tests (don't remember exactly but around 610-640). Then I got back to studies and managed to score really well on the other 4 tests (720-730). However on actual GMAT my highest score was 650. I feel there is a dramatic difference between real test and official prep software in terms of questions level, especially in verbal. My quant score was comparable to those I got on prep, but verbal was a disaster (from 39-42 on preps to 28-34 on actual test).
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 13:38
thiagod wrote:
hanamana,
My experiences with GMAT prep were not very good. I score really bad on 2 first tests (don't remember exactly but around 610-640). Then I got back to studies and managed to score really well on the other 4 tests (720-730). However on actual GMAT my highest score was 650. I feel there is a dramatic difference between real test and official prep software in terms of questions level, especially in verbal. My quant score was comparable to those I got on prep, but verbal was a disaster (from 39-42 on preps to 28-34 on actual test).

My quant was in the range of 47-49 and i got a 46 and my verbal was in the range of 34-38 as well, but got a 30.. I agree Verbal didn't align with the official prep software. Are you still re-taking it in the end of august?
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 13:50
hanamana wrote:

My quant was in the range of 47-49 and i got a 46 and my verbal was in the range of 34-38 as well, but got a 30.. I agree Verbal didn't align with the official prep software. Are you still re-taking it in the end of august?

My quant was ranging exactly like yours and i got the same 46 as well. Actual RC and CR are WAY tougher than prep.
Yes, I actually just finished revision of all quant contents and should start preps again this week. I'll retry oficial preps (it's been 6 months I don't look at them) and Gmat Club preps (since I'm following egmat course). What about you?
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 13:56
thiagod wrote:
hanamana wrote:

My quant was ranging exactly like yours and i got the same 46 as well. Actual RC and CR are WAY tougher than prep.
Yes, I actually just finished revision of all quant contents and should start preps again this week. I'll retry oficial preps (it's been 6 months I don't look at them) and Gmat Club preps (since I'm following egmat course). What about you?

That's funny - I actually did 80~90% percentile on both CR and RC, but 20% on SC and this hurt my score the most. I thought SC was a lot harder than CR/RC on the actual exam. For math, I got first 10 questions correct but got thrown off by one easy question in the middle of test and lost it after that.

I am sticking to OG, MGMAT (for concepts only), and GMAC Prep software. My retake is in four weeks and I am planning to give one or two more practice exams in between. For CR, PowerScore CR Bible was super helpful if you want to prep on CR more. My strategy is to focus on reviewing problems, rather than doing more problems.
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 13:09
thiagod wrote:
hanamana wrote:

Did you take your test? If so, how did it go?
Manager
Manager
G
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 17:00
Hi
In my case I improved my SC when I studied from Magoosh and used flashcards. Plus I tried to understand the meaning and skip one or two long questions so that I used more time in the other ones.
Hope it helps you.

Cesar
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 18:55
hanamana wrote:
I took a practice exam after a month of studying and scored a 710. Will I be capable of scoring in the high 600s? I've scored 710s in the last three GMAC exams (including two prior to the 1st test which I got a 620).
The GMATPreps are very representative of the actual GMAT (they use real GMAT questions and the same algorithm as the actual GMAT). So, unless you were already familiar with some of the questions you saw on your practice tests, there is plenty of evidence that you are capable of getting a 700 or more on the actual exam. On the day of the actual exam though, there are a couple of important things that we need to understand (and accept):

1. A score, whether on the GMAT or a GMATPrep, is never absolute. That is, it's better to look at your recent 710 as indicating a range of possible scores. The probability that the score on any one specific test will be much lower than 710 is low, but not 0. However, the probability that you'll get a score closer to your "true" score does go up with number of attempts.

2. Exam day conditions (due to lack of sleep, exam pressure, conditions at the center etc.) can lead to major variations in scores. Of these, exam pressure and lack of sleep are the most important. You can prepare for the first and control the second (to a certain extent).

Taking the GMAT again does help: all the pressure associated with taking the GMAT for the first time won't be there. Just remember that you are capable of getting a great score, and that now it is just a matter of actually doing it.

All the best for the attempt in September.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

S

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 07:55
AjiteshArun wrote:
hanamana wrote:
The GMATPreps are very representative of the actual GMAT (they use real GMAT questions and the same algorithm as the actual GMAT). So, unless you were already familiar with some of the questions you saw on your practice tests, there is plenty of evidence that you are capable of getting a 700 or more on the actual exam. On the day of the actual exam though, there are a couple of important things that we need to understand (and accept):

1. A score, whether on the GMAT or a GMATPrep, is never absolute. That is, it's better to look at your recent 710 as indicating a range of possible scores. The probability that the score on any one specific test will be much lower than 710 is low, but not 0. However, the probability that you'll get a score closer to your "true" score does go up with number of attempts.

2. Exam day conditions (due to lack of sleep, exam pressure, conditions at the center etc.) can lead to major variations in scores. Of these, exam pressure and lack of sleep are the most important. You can prepare for the first and control the second (to a certain extent).

Taking the GMAT again does help: all the pressure associated with taking the GMAT for the first time won't be there. Just remember that you are capable of getting a great score, and that now it is just a matter of actually doing it.

All the best for the attempt in September.

Thanks! Rather than doing more problems at this point, I am reviewing my old tests (both from GMAC and MGMAT) and review my concepts. Do you have any recommendation for basic and fundamental Geometry? It is my weakness and I haven't done so well on the real test in geometry.
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 19:34
hanamana wrote:
Thanks! Rather than doing more problems at this point, I am reviewing my old tests (both from GMAC and MGMAT) and review my concepts. Do you have any recommendation for basic and fundamental Geometry? It is my weakness and I haven't done so well on the real test in geometry.
I really don't think anyone will mess around with the basic concepts tested in the quantitative section (although that happens in the verbal section). So, as far as concepts go, any good GMAT-focused book should be fine. There's even a GMAT Club Math Book that you can use.

Go ahead and revise Geometry, but don't give it too much time if you feel that you are generally quite good at that topic. Given that most people get a relatively small number of questions on any one topic on the GMAT, getting 2 out of (let's say) 4 questions wrong on test day may not mean much. On the other hand, if you do need to put in effort there, I suggest that you start with the easiest questions and work your way up.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

S

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 10:44
AjiteshArun wrote:
hanamana wrote:
I really don't think anyone will mess around with the basic concepts tested in the quantitative section (although that happens in the verbal section). So, as far as concepts go, any good GMAT-focused book should be fine. There's even a GMAT Club Math Book that you can use.

Go ahead and revise Geometry, but don't give it too much time if you feel that you are generally quite good at that topic. Given that most people get a relatively small number of questions on any one topic on the GMAT, getting 2 out of (let's say) 4 questions wrong on test day may not mean much. On the other hand, if you do need to put in effort there, I suggest that you start with the easiest questions and work your way up.

Thank you for the advise. I will report back after my test. I am doing all OG math questions (PS and DS) along with less questions but more thorough review on SC (my weakness) questions. I am looking to take one more exam a week prior to actual date at the same time for simulation.
GMAT Club Bot
Coming back to GMAT again after a few months of rest &nbs [#permalink] 28 Aug 2018, 10:44

Coming back to GMAT again after a few months of rest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap