It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Confused about Kaplan Clasees... and lots more!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Confused about Kaplan Clasees... and lots more!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2008, 17:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hi,

i m planning to take my test mid-dec. i have just started studying. (kaplan 2008 workbook).

about myself-
i just quit my job and i am going to spend the next two months studying (during which i am also moving houses...).
i am not a maths whiz... or a techie. and i am not sure... where and how to start my gmat preperation. i have been reading some of the posts on this site... they are very helpful but also a bit scary...!

nhow here are my q's-

1.kaplan classes?? i cant decide if i should take them... my knowledge of maths is average. nothing great.. but i managed to pass in school.is it worth spending $1500

2. maths books ?? if anyone can reccommend any basic book for beginners....

3. verbal...again same q. which is a good grammar book to start with.

thankkkkksssssssss....!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 3

Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Re: Confused about Kaplan Clasees... and lots more!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2008, 17:37
I would suggest just reading the Kaplan workbook, as it helps a lot (I used it). If you are more adept at learning in a classroom environment as opposed to teaching yourself, then maybe you should, but it is a lot of money. I would suggest Manhattan GMAT if you were going to do a class though, as they have a really good reputation. Kaplan is the inferior test prep supplier, if you wanted my opinion. I think most people just study a lot on their own and never take classes, and I have never heard of someone improving their score dramatically after taking an in-person class.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2008, 18:51
hmm.... thanks...!
should i buy the entire Manhattan series??

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma

Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2008, 10:49
I wouldn't, I would subscribe to the exams tho. take a few practice exams on GMATprep and Manhattan and figure out where your weak areas are and study from that. If you think a book of 1000 random sample questions of each type will help you than go for it....but I would say that taking the GMAT practice tests is the best way to increase your score (esp GMATprep and MGMAT). Who actually reads the books anyway? You can get only what you need and spend a lot less than $270. I have heard ppl say they were helpful tho, so don't make ur decision wholly based on my input.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2008, 13:45
If you're going to do a prep course, do Princeton Review. They have a math bootcamp that you can do as an option, to brush up on math.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 12:21
thankeee.. for your inputs!

i took an online gmatclub test yesterday.. got the worst maths score of my life!
i finished the test in less than 40 mins! so you can imagine how many q's i knew and acutally understood. it seemed like a foriegn language :oops:
( maths... is my undoing !!!)

i have finally decided- to get a basic class 10th maths book.. get my fundamentals sorted..and then do as many q's online and from workbooks!

as for verbal my socre was just ok. i got most of the r.c. but had quite a few silly grammatical errors...
i read somewhere on this site that the manhattan verbal is the bible for Gmat Grammar...
any commnets on that.

Best, sh.

ps: have already ordered the manhattan series.. :? (i guess, i need it!)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Schools: Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2008, 18:02
I may be too late to respond to this, but I'm currently taking the Kaplan course and here is my take on it.

First of all, I'm working full time and wanted to prepare for the GMAT. Now really knowing the timeline, I decided to go for the 10week plan instead of 4 week Kaplan course (same number of classes, difference in 2 times a week vs. once a week).

I paid 1350 for the full course and so far attended 5 classes. I enjoy the material and what they have to offer through online materials but I honestly think the Kaplan teachers are not helpful. Not only I find myself trying to get my teacher to explain better, I sometimes correct him with his method. I'm sure it'll be a different experience from teacher to teacher, but I was bit disappointed in what I get from the in-class session.

The true reason to take Kaplan was,
1. They offer High Score Guarantee program where you can retake it for free if you are not satisfied.
2. I just couldn't get myself to study after work sometimes. Having 1350 committed, if definitely reminds me what I need to be doing.

if you get yourself motivated to study and have more time, I would suggest doing it on your own.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Confused about Kaplan Clasees... and lots more!!   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2008, 18:02

Confused about Kaplan Clasees... and lots more!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap