GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 11:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Confused :-( Too many error types in SC - Whats the general strategy?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Confused :-( Too many error types in SC - Whats the general strategy?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 12:21
I've been studying the SC part of a GMAT prep course. To my shigrin apparently there are about 6 errors to look for in SC namely:

1. Subject-Verb Agreement
2. Pronouns
3. Misplaced Modifiers
4. Parallel Construction
5. Idioms
6. Verb Tenses.

There's also a strategy to pick the best answer under "each" error type according to the GMAT prep course I referenced. So, being that there are so many error types, and you're not informed which type exists during the actual test, ....what is an effective strategy to incorporate during a SC question no matter which of the 6 errors listed above presents itself in the question?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stern '21
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Confused :-( Too many error types in SC - Whats the general strategy?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 12:34
Check for all the errors one by one! Yes, initially it may sounda lengthy process but gradually you will answer right and faster

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
G
Re: Confused :-( Too many error types in SC - Whats the general strategy?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 09:04
Agreed. Too many error types can be confusing on SC. While there are numerous concepts that can potentially be tested in Sentence Correction, the saving grace is that a single SC question is likely to test you on only 2-3 of these concepts.

Hence, you need to develop an eye for doing a vertical scan of the five options, to quickly figure out which 2-3 concepts are being tested in the given question.

For example,

(1) if three options use play while others use plays, you know that subject-verb agreement is being tested. Use your subject-verb knowledge to eliminate incorrect options, and focus on remaining.

(2) Similarly, if three options use played while others use have played, you know that tenses are being tested. Use your knowledge of tenses to eliminate incorrect options and focus on remaining.

(3) Similarly, if three options use it while others use they/them, you know that pronouns are being tested. Use your knowledge of pronouns to eliminate incorrect options and focus on remaining.

---and so on.

This strategy of successively splitting the answer choices, is normally sufficient to bring you down to the final two possibly correct options. Choosing between these last two, might require slightly refined understanding of the finer nuances of SC.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 10:41
egrizzly wrote:
I've been studying the SC part of a GMAT prep course. To my shigrin apparently there are about 6 errors to look for in SC namely:

1. Subject-Verb Agreement
2. Pronouns
3. Misplaced Modifiers
4. Parallel Construction
5. Idioms
6. Verb Tenses.

There's also a strategy to pick the best answer under "each" error type according to the GMAT prep course I referenced. So, being that there are so many error types, and you're not informed which type exists during the actual test, ....what is an effective strategy to incorporate during a SC question no matter which of the 6 errors listed above presents itself in the question?

These are the basic type of errors that you have mentioned, but there are few more error types you may encounter in SC.

You need to learn about all errors types if you want to score high in SC, and that can be done through practice.

Tip 1. Use Process of Elimination in every Verbal question. It really helps in narrowing down the choices and makes you less prone to fell into trap answers.

Tip 2. Use splits to your advantage.

Tip 3. Look answer choices vertically and remove all answer choices containing the same error.

Tip 4. Learn what you read, Remember what you learn, Implement correctly what you remember.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Confused :-( Too many error types in SC - Whats the general strategy? &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 10:41

Confused :-( Too many error types in SC - Whats the general strategy?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap