Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: NUS '18
GPA: 2.08
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Confused with the mock results?? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Funambulist,

Back in December (which was closer to 75 days ago), you posted a series of messages here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-prepar ... l#p1622347

1) What are your current plans?
2) Is your score goal still 730?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT now?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Yes I did post this post in December but I couldn't study continuously due to some professional commitments.

Mt target score is still the same and I am planning to give the GMAT in July -2016 (as I know that I am gonna take lot of time to improve my verbal)

After studying quant for about 45 days religiously I am getting such score but my concern is the accuracy? Now I will start preparing for verbal section, please advice like how should I take on verbal now and what should be my overall strategy from here on?

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 945 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
DO NOT evaluate non-official scores as definitive.Treat only GMAT Prep , the official tests, as correct. Do not waste your time scratching your head over scores.
Define your accuracy. Know the type of mistakes you made. Evaluate the weak areas, silly mistakes and conceptual errors.The scoring of most non-GMAC sources must be taken with a pinch of salt.
If you want to check your accuracy, buy gmat question pack 1 and practice making sets.
GMATClub tests are great for extra practice .
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Funambulist wrote:
I have given 3 mock tests (quant only) and below are my scores:

GMAT Prep - Q29
GMAT Club test - Q35
GMAT Club test - Q42
Not sure what you mean by "quant only". Did you guess your way through (say) verbal? That's probably not the best way to use a GMATPrep. As for the scores, I'd advise you not to overanalyze the process involved. The GMATPrep tests are the only practice tests that come close to working the same way as the GMAT.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use other tests. It's just that looking at the number of "700+" (did you know that the GMAT doesn't even classify questions like that?) questions you got across different tests is not likely to yield any meaningful information.

Hi AjiteshArun

I meant to say that I studied only Quant for whatever time I have studies so far. Yes I did attempt verbal too with any preparation but scored extremely low.

Now I am done with the concepts of all the topics in Quant and I am facing difficulty to solve 700+ questions. My accuracy is above 85% in 500+, 600+ questions but very low in 700+ questions.

Also now I have started preparing for Verbal as well and giving my maximum time to verbal section and studying Quant only once in week for 3 hours. Please let me know if there is anything which I should add in my strategy.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Funambulist,

A July Test Date gives you plenty of time to study and improve, which is good. Given the information that you've provided, you'll have to make some BIG improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections to score 730+ though. Since it sounds like it's been awhile since you took a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections), you should plan to take one soon. That score result will provide valuable information about how well you've been studying on your own, as well as what you might specifically need to focus on going forward. Once you have that score result, you should post back here and we can talk through your study plans.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
Funambulist wrote:
I have given 3 mock tests (quant only) and below are my scores:

GMAT Prep - Q29
GMAT Club test - Q35
GMAT Club test - Q42
Not sure what you mean by "quant only". Did you guess your way through (say) verbal? That's probably not the best way to use a GMATPrep. As for the scores, I'd advise you not to overanalyze the process involved. The GMATPrep tests are the only practice tests that come close to working the same way as the GMAT.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use other tests. It's just that looking at the number of "700+" (did you know that the GMAT doesn't even classify questions like that?) questions you got across different tests is not likely to yield any meaningful information.

Hi AjiteshArun

I meant to say that I studied only Quant for whatever time I have studies so far. Yes I did attempt verbal too with any preparation but scored extremely low.

Now I am done with the concepts of all the topics in Quant and I am facing difficulty to solve 700+ questions. My accuracy is above 85% in 500+, 600+ questions but very low in 700+ questions.

Also now I have started preparing for Verbal as well and giving my maximum time to verbal section and studying Quant only once in week for 3 hours. Please let me know if there is anything which I should add in my strategy.

I understand that you have taken three practice tests - only Quant seriously. This is not a good strategy. You should take a full length practice test after working through the concepts of most topics at least once (Quant as well as Verbal).

To know whether you understand the fundamentals, you just need to work on practice questions. If you want to figure out whether you have any timing issues, practice a bunch of questions in a limited time frame and aim to spend an average of 2 mins per question.

Take a full length practice test as seriously as possible after completing the Verbal basics too. It takes about 4 hrs to complete all sections of a practice test and that gives you a feel of the actual test. Else you will be wasting your time. You won't understand the timing problems, the stamina issues and you will always have an excuse for your low score. The idea of taking a practice test is to find out the areas in which you need more work. A high or a low score doesn't prove anything and makes no difference to your final GMAT score. Take it in the spirit of testing yourself to know your weaknesses only.

Also, ensure that while working on the basics of Verbal, you keep working on Quant too. Else, after a month you will realise that your performance in Quant has dipped again. You must give at least an hour to Quant 5-6 days in a week.
GMAT Club Bot