It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 13:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consistent V40+ on practice, V38 on actual...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
Consistent V40+ on practice, V38 on actual... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 19:01
Hi everyone - looking for some words of advice and maybe encouragement here.

I just did my first official GMAT today and scored a 700 (Q47, V38). While I know this is a good score, I was aiming for a 720+ and had hit a 740 (Q48, V42) on the practice exam that I had taken one week before the official test.

My gripe is whether or not my Verbal level is actually 40+ or if it's just under 40. I've been hearing that the GMATPrep and Exam Packs are a little dated and do not represent the current state of the test. Is this true? Because I've been using these exact sources to gauge where I'm at. What's even worse is that I was feeling very confident when I finished the Verbal section (I selected my order as V, Q, IR/AWA), so I'm not even sure where I went wrong.

Below are my practice scores:
GMATPrep 1: 710 (Q47, V41)
GMATPrep 2: 710 (Q47, V40)
Exam Pack 1 Test 1: 710 (Q45, V42)
Exam Pack 1 Test 2: 740 (Q48, V42)
In addition to these scores, I had been getting V40+ on the last 3 CATs on Manhattan Prep as well. This is why I'm so shocked that I got a 38 on the actual.

I've already signed up for another exam in three weeks and will buckle down to do what I can to hit that 720+. PLEASE DO NOT tell me that this timing is bad or whatever, I've already signed up after all. I'm just looking for advice and insights here.

Thanks!

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 911 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Consistent V40+ on practice, V38 on actual... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 21:06
Hi erenjaeger ,

I believe your verbal score is fair enough considering your mock scores. A slight decrease must be due to exam environment, anxiety (maybe?) and the day factors.

I believe in order to hit a 740+, you should follow either of the following steps:

1. Work on your quant and target 49+. This will ensure a constant score and hence improvement.

2. Make sure you start hitting in the middle 40s in the verbal section. Try to find your weakness (obviously order your ESR) and work on them more.

All the best :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: Consistent V40+ on practice, V38 on actual... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 22:01
Check ESR and see where you have gone wrong. That should help you a bit.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 06:16
Thanks! Does the ESR give me a breakdown of each and every question and whether or not I got them right? Or is it just an overall view of how I did in each section?

I imagine GMAC is probably not releasing the questions but do correct me if I'm wrong.

Additionally, my next exam is coming up in 3 weeks. Will I only be able to get the ESR 20 days after my test (which was yesterday)?

Thanks again guys!

Board of Directors
D

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 06:27
erenjaeger wrote:
Thanks! Does the ESR give me a breakdown of each and every question and whether or not I got them right? Or is it just an overall view of how I did in each section?

I imagine GMAC is probably not releasing the questions but do correct me if I'm wrong.

Additionally, my next exam is coming up in 3 weeks. Will I only be able to get the ESR 20 days after my test (which was yesterday)?

Thanks again guys!

This link will answer all your questions related to ESR. :)

https://www.mba.com/india/the-gmat-exam ... -demo.aspx

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 04:16
Thank you! So I'm assuming that the "rumour" I'm hearing about GMATPrep and Exam Packs being outdated is false then? And they're still representative of my level?

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 21:03
erenjaeger wrote:
Thank you! So I'm assuming that the "rumour" I'm hearing about GMATPrep and Exam Packs being outdated is false then? And they're still representative of my level?
Some test prep companies release questions that are barely disguised "versions" of GMATPrep questions, and these questions can completely ruin the validity of the GMATPrep tests.

But if the questions were "fresh", your GMATPrep scores should be reliable.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 6

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 03:50
erenjaeger wrote:
I just did my first official GMAT today and scored a 700 (Q47, V38). While I know this is a good score, I was aiming for a 720+ and had hit a 740 (Q48, V42) on the practice exam that I had taken one week before the official test.

Hi erenjaeger, while 40 might seem a watershed when it comes to Verbal, clearly it's a continuum in the GMAT's internal marking scheme. So, your V38 is perhaps just a couple of questions off the magic figure of 40. Hence, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Quote:
My gripe is whether or not my Verbal level is actually 40+ or if it's just under 40.

Just under 40 would be my guess, since you say whether or not, while it should have been just whether :-)

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 12

Re: Consistent V40+ on practice, V38 on actual...   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2017, 03:50

Consistent V40+ on practice, V38 on actual...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap