GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4472
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 15:13
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi,

I feel, had the choice C read as "For some consumers, convenience is the only important factor in determining which type of washing machine is superior", it would have been an apt choice. I feel "only" is making it too strong.

mikemcgarry - can you please help?

Thanks

Dear hellosanthosh2k2,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I agree that the "only" makes (C) stand out as strong, and that's precisely the point. That's part of why it works as an answer.

You see, the argument itself is a relatively weak argument. This prompt argument easily could have been the prompt for a "weaken the argument" question.

Notice that the negation of (C) would be a devastating objection to this argument, and the Negation Test is one of the strongest for an assumption.

The fact that (C) is a laughably extreme statement and yet the assumption of the argument casts tremendous doubt on the validity of the argument. If Person #1 made the prompt argument, and then Person #2 said, "So, it seems you are assuming that . . ." and then said (C), this would be a brilliantly understated yet devastating objection to the argument. The extremity of (C) perfectly brings out the flimsy weakness of the prompt argument.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________
Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Nov 2017
Posts: 57
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 15:47
IMO OA is C

(A) For some consumers the convenience of frontloaders outweighs the advantages of toploaders in assessing which is superior.
-> This is a lure sentence. But! You have to think about a word 'some'. Because of the word 'some', this sentence is just one kind of fact.
So it cannot be an assumption.
(B) Washing machines of a given type should be compared only with washing machines of that type.
-> Nothing.
(C) Convenience is the only important factor in determining which type of washing machine is superior.
-> Correct. If not C, we have to think another factors between top-loading washing machines and front-loaders.
(D) Retrieving clothes from a top-loader is convenient for people who do not use wheelchairs.
-> This is just one kind of fact.
(E) Retrieving clothes from front-loaders is inconvenient for people who are not wheelchair users.
-> This is just one kind of fact.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 468
Location: India
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 10:41
mikemcgarry wrote:
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi,

I feel, had the choice C read as "For some consumers, convenience is the only important factor in determining which type of washing machine is superior", it would have been an apt choice. I feel "only" is making it too strong.

mikemcgarry - can you please help?

Thanks

Dear hellosanthosh2k2,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I agree that the "only" makes (C) stand out as strong, and that's precisely the point. That's part of why it works as an answer.

You see, the argument itself is a relatively weak argument. This prompt argument easily could have been the prompt for a "weaken the argument" question.

Notice that the negation of (C) would be a devastating objection to this argument, and the Negation Test is one of the strongest for an assumption.

The fact that (C) is a laughably extreme statement and yet the assumption of the argument casts tremendous doubt on the validity of the argument. If Person #1 made the prompt argument, and then Person #2 said, "So, it seems you are assuming that . . ." and then said (C), this would be a brilliantly understated yet devastating objection to the argument. The extremity of (C) perfectly brings out the flimsy weakness of the prompt argument.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Hi mikemcgarry, thanks for detailed explanation. It makes sense
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2018, 01:04
THE OFFICIAL ANSWER OF THIS QUESTION IS CHOICE A.
PLEASE CORRECT THE ANSWER!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2018, 01:11
Reason for why choice C is wrong:

In order for the conclusion to be true, an assumption MUST be true.

Let's say if choice C not true, i.e Convenience is not the only factor to determine superiority.

The conclusion may still valid. Thus choice C cannot be the assumption.

ONLY CHOICE A IS CORRECT ANSWER. I am damn sure.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Oct 2018
Posts: 17
Location: India
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V41
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2019, 21:45
sayantanc2k

I do not understand how C is correct .
Premise says : For some loading through top is inconvenient thus, for them front loading washing machines are superior .

Gap: there is no info provided that shows the connection between inconvenience and superiority .

C says , convenience is the only reason for judging superiority

IS this a MUST ? can it not be subjective ? can i not find something superior to the other because i find one aspect more important than the other ?
can it not be judged by making a total of all the points given to a list of factors ?

A allows for all the above .
A says for some convenience is the most important factor and thus gives a link as to why for some front loader are better , while also allowing for other factors to be as more important for the people who are not in the wheel chair .

i do not understand how option A is only a reiteration of what is already in the passage as , A provides the link between convenience and superiority ( not blatantly provided in the stimulus)

would be thank full if you could help me understand this
Veritas Prep Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 409
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 08:21
1
Top Contributor
As a few people pointed out, the LSAT forums all have the correct answer to this one as A, which makes a lot of sense because:

-Rarely (I won't say "never" when discussing Critical Reasoning!) do you ever need a word like "all," or "only" in an assumption answer. The correct answer is a necessary assumption - without it the argument falls apart. Here what if convenience isn't the ONLY factor but instead just the MOST IMPORTANT factor. That's different from C, but the conclusion is just as strong at that point. And you don't even need "most important" - it could be one of several important factors, and for some people it will weigh heavier than the others and the conclusion still holds. The negation of C is "Convenience is NOT the only important factor in determining superiority" and that doesn't cripple the argument at all.

-Generally the correct answer to an assumption question isn't a great Strengthen answer. We like to say that Strengthen answers are "swords" that advance your argument, whereas Assumption arguments are "shields" that protect your argument from an attack that you might not have seen coming. As many have pointed out, A doesn't seem to add much new value to the argument, but that's pretty common with Assumption answers: very often the assumption is an easy assumption to make so it almost feels like it was already there. But if you take it away, then you really see how much weight it was carrying. If you negate A, you get "For no consumers does convenience of front-loaders outweigh the overall superiority of top-loaders" and then you can see that the conclusion is just destroyed.

-Note that A isn't explicit in the argument. We know that a study says top-loaders are superior, but for some users front-loaders are more convenient. Those are the only premises...then we're told the conclusion that for some users front-loaders are superior. The only facts we have about front-loaders are 1) they're inferior and 2) they're more convenient for some people. To leap to "they're superior for some people" we absolutely need to connect convenience to superiority...that's not accomplished in the argument itself, although it's kind of obvious that those are the dots that need to be connected and so for most of us our brains already do that. If your take was that A was already stated in the argument...you just made the same assumption yourself. THAT's why Assumption Negation is so powerful...it turns these questions into weaken questions and then you get to attack the argument, which helps you better identify the gaps in it that your brain may have already started to fill in.
_________________
Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Oct 2018
Posts: 17
Location: India
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V41
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 01:12
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
As a few people pointed out, the LSAT forums all have the correct answer to this one as A, which makes a lot of sense because:

-Rarely (I won't say "never" when discussing Critical Reasoning!) do you ever need a word like "all," or "only" in an assumption answer. The correct answer is a necessary assumption - without it the argument falls apart. Here what if convenience isn't the ONLY factor but instead just the MOST IMPORTANT factor. That's different from C, but the conclusion is just as strong at that point. And you don't even need "most important" - it could be one of several important factors, and for some people it will weigh heavier than the others and the conclusion still holds. The negation of C is "Convenience is NOT the only important factor in determining superiority" and that doesn't cripple the argument at all.

-Generally the correct answer to an assumption question isn't a great Strengthen answer. We like to say that Strengthen answers are "swords" that advance your argument, whereas Assumption arguments are "shields" that protect your argument from an attack that you might not have seen coming. As many have pointed out, A doesn't seem to add much new value to the argument, but that's pretty common with Assumption answers: very often the assumption is an easy assumption to make so it almost feels like it was already there. But if you take it away, then you really see how much weight it was carrying. If you negate A, you get "For no consumers does convenience of front-loaders outweigh the overall superiority of top-loaders" and then you can see that the conclusion is just destroyed.

-Note that A isn't explicit in the argument. We know that a study says top-loaders are superior, but for some users front-loaders are more convenient. Those are the only premises...then we're told the conclusion that for some users front-loaders are superior. The only facts we have about front-loaders are 1) they're inferior and 2) they're more convenient for some people. To leap to "they're superior for some people" we absolutely need to connect convenience to superiority...that's not accomplished in the argument itself, although it's kind of obvious that those are the dots that need to be connected and so for most of us our brains already do that. If your take was that A was already stated in the argument...you just made the same assumption yourself. THAT's why Assumption Negation is so powerful...it turns these questions into weaken questions and then you get to attack the argument, which helps you better identify the gaps in it that your brain may have already started to fill in.





Makes Perfect sense and resonates with my reasoning for eliminating C and choosing A.
thanks a million :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 99
Location: India
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2019, 05:16
Hi Experts

Is choice C incorrect because it is a generic statement which includes entire population that uses top/front loading washing machine, and "only" makes it too strong as we are not aware what other factors are taken into consideration while selection one over the other??
I rejected it based on above thoughts.
Please let me know if I
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Oct 2013
Posts: 44
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 17:08
why cant ans be E

it states that non wheel chair will find it inconvinient in removing cloth from front loader

so front loader is prefered by some

why assumption is wrong
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Posts: 226
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 18:54
VeritasKarishma chetan2u generis mikemcgarry

Can you please tell which option is the correct answer here ? Option A or option C ? There seems to be a diffrence in opinion among people over this question. Can you please help ?

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8007
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 20:09
sayan640 wrote:
VeritasKarishma chetan2u generis mikemcgarry

Can you please tell which option is the correct answer here ? Option A or option C ? There seems to be a diffrence in opinion among people over this question. Can you please help ?

Posted from my mobile device


Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing machines are superior overall to front-loaders. But front-loaders have the controls and access in front. This is more convenient for wheelchair users, some of whom find it highly inconvenient to remove laundry from top-loaders. So for some consumers front-loaders are superior.

Let us first look at the argument to answer
Argument : Top loaders are superior as per a study -->> People using wheel chairs find front loaders more convenient ---->> So, for some consumers front-loaders are superior.


I think it is very clear from the flow of the argument that the ASSUMPTION should connect convenience of these few consumers to superiority.

So, A should be the answer and C does not come close to this choice.

Let us check on A and C

Which one of the following is an assumption upon which the consumer advocate’s argument depends?

(A) For some consumers the convenience of frontloaders outweighs the advantages of toploaders in assessing which is superior.
Firstly it is NOT a premise but a very valid assumption. It connects few consumers convenience to the superiority of that machine.
Thus, we are not generalizing the taste of people, and just concentrating on this particular group. As a matter of fact, this choice contains the information of choice C, but without generalizing everyone.

(C) Convenience is the only important factor in determining which type of washing machine is superior.
Yes, if this were an assumption, the argument will surely stand,
but if this choice were that convenience for some consumers is the only important factor, that too will be sufficient.
Also, if this choice were that convenience for some consumers is one of the most important factor, that too will be sufficient.

So, it is too extreme, and the argument will stand even if we say xyz is the most important factor. It leaves room for other factors and yet be sufficient.

So, I would go with A.
_________________
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9701
Location: Pune, India
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 01:30
rulez161 wrote:
Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing machines are superior overall to front-loaders. But front-loaders have the controls and access in front. This is more convenient for wheelchair users, some of whom find it highly inconvenient to remove laundry from top-loaders. So for some consumers front-loaders are superior.

Which one of the following is an assumption upon which the consumer advocate’s argument depends?

(A) For some consumers the convenience of frontloaders outweighs the advantages of toploaders in assessing which is superior.
(B) Washing machines of a given type should be compared only with washing machines of that type.
(C) Convenience is the only important factor in determining which type of washing machine is superior.
(D) Retrieving clothes from a top-loader is convenient for people who do not use wheelchairs.
(E) Retrieving clothes from front-loaders is inconvenient for people who are not wheelchair users.


Top loading are superior to front loading.
But for some, front loading are more convenient and top loading highly inconvenient.
So front loading are superior for them.

The moment I read the argument, my first question was that what if the other features of top loading outweigh convenience? Just because of convenience, we cannot establish superiority.
The argument assumes that for these specific consumers, convenience outweighs the advantages of top loaders. What if the top loaders save a lot of money and the wheelchair users find that more appealing than inconvenience? Then our conclusion cannot hold.

(A) For some consumers the convenience of frontloaders outweighs the advantages of toploaders in assessing which is superior.
Correct. This has been assumed by the argument.

(B) Washing machines of a given type should be compared only with washing machines of that type.
Irrelevant.

(C) Convenience is the only important factor in determining which type of washing machine is superior.
Not necessary. There can be other important factors too. The conclusion will still hold as long as convenience outweighs others i.e. as long as convenience is the most important. Convenience need not be the ONLY important factor.

(D) Retrieving clothes from a top-loader is convenient for people who do not use wheelchairs.
Irrelevant

(E) Retrieving clothes from front-loaders is inconvenient for people who are not wheelchair users.
Irrelevant

Answer (A)
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 263
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Reviews Badge
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 03:44
Ankita5330 wrote:
A recent study concluded that
top-loading washing machines are superior
overall to front-loaders.

If it is saying about overall superiority.There must be multiple factors. Hence C is not correct.
i.e
(C) Convenience is the only important factor in
determining which type of washing machine
is superior.


Answer choice (C) is too extreme. We cannot assume that convenience is the only factor required to assess the superiority of a washing machine. Maybe convenience is one of the many factors wheelchair users consider or maybe convenience is not the most important factor for non-wheelchair users. The point is that we don't know and therefore should not make any assumptions about this. Even if there are many factors, but convenience is most important then also a user will chose convenient choice.

Also note that answer choice (C) is general and does not mention a particular group of people like wheelchair users, non-wheelchair users or just some consumers.
_________________
In case my post helps you, please provide me with kudos. Thank you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 263
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Reviews Badge
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 03:48
GMATMasterBlaster wrote:
Reason for why choice C is wrong:

In order for the conclusion to be true, an assumption MUST be true.

Let's say if choice C not true, i.e Convenience is not the only factor to determine superiority.

The conclusion may still valid. Thus choice C cannot be the assumption.

ONLY CHOICE A IS CORRECT ANSWER. I am damn sure.


Yes Exactly. What necessary in this case to make a choice based on convenience is that, convenience remain the most important factor. If that happen, then no matter how many factors are there, they won't change our choice.
_________________
In case my post helps you, please provide me with kudos. Thank you
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing   [#permalink] 08 May 2019, 03:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne