GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jul 2018, 08:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2015
Posts: 17
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 07:43
3
16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:14) correct 57% (01:35) wrong based on 795 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing machines are superior overall to front-loaders. But front-loaders have the controls and access in front. This is more convenient for wheelchair users, some of whom find it highly inconvenient to remove laundry from top-loaders. So for some consumers front-loaders are superior.

Which one of the following is an assumption upon which the consumer advocate’s argument depends?

(A) For some consumers the convenience of frontloaders outweighs the advantages of toploaders in assessing which is superior.
(B) Washing machines of a given type should be compared only with washing machines of that type.
(C) Convenience is the only important factor in determining which type of washing machine is superior.
(D) Retrieving clothes from a top-loader is convenient for people who do not use wheelchairs.
(E) Retrieving clothes from front-loaders is inconvenient for people who are not wheelchair users.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3195
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 11:50
10
2
A is not an assumption, but just a restatement of what has already been stated in the passage. At most it could be an inference. An assumption should link the premise and conclusion. Option A does not do so.

C is better than A.The premise is about convenience, and the conclusion is about superiority. Option C links convenience with superiority. The word "only" is required because if there were other features that determine superiority then the conclusion that more convenient machines are superior cannot be drawn .

OA has been changed.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2015
Posts: 17
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 08:06
I was confused between A and C. Somebody please explain the thought process.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jan 2015
Posts: 13
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GPA: 3.9
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 08:09
After reading through the options once, it seems B,D,E can be ruled out as they are not a necessary assumption.

For me it was a bit tough to choose between A and C, and A definitely seems more apt. C is a contender because it felt like for some users, main factor to determine superiority is convenience. But this is wrongly understood, as it seems to say that the main factor is convenience. But it doesn't have to be so, argument just implies that for some users, although there are other important advantages, convenience outweighs them all.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Posts: 32
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 2.91
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 15:02
C is too strong with the word "only"

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

+1 Kudo, if my post helped

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2016
Posts: 1
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 03:45
1
A recent study concluded that
top-loading washing machines are superior
overall to front-loaders.

If it is saying about overall superiority.There must be multiple factors. Hence C is not correct.
i.e
(C) Convenience is the only important factor in
determining which type of washing machine
is superior.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3195
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 22:08
2
1
Ankita5330 wrote:
A recent study concluded that
top-loading washing machines are superior
overall to front-loaders.

If it is saying about overall superiority.There must be multiple factors. Hence C is not correct.
i.e
(C) Convenience is the only important factor in
determining which type of washing machine
is superior.


From your post it seems that you are confused between inference and assumption. I have already clarified the issue. Yet I shall try once again to explain (taking your point into consideration).

You have INFERRED that there must be multiple factors since the conclusion is about overall superiority. Thus your point FOLLOWS from the conclusion. The following arrow diagram explains the difference between an assumption and an inference:

1. Premise ------- (Assumption) --------> conclusion
2. Premise / conclusion / other information in the passage ---------> inference

Your point falls under the second category above and hence is an inference.

Now once again consider the reasoning in the given passage:

Premise: X is more convenient than Y.
Conclusion: X is superior (/overall superior) to Y.

Link: Convenience is the only factor to determine the superiority (/overall superiority).

Whether you consider overall superiority or superiority, the premise is the same that X is more convenient. Thus C is the correct option.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 144
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 03:06
2
sayantanc2k wrote:
A is not an assumption, but just a restatement of what has already been stated in the passage. At most it could be an inference. An assumption should link the premise and conclusion. Option A does not do so.

C is better than A.The premise is about convenience, and the conclusion is about superiority. Option C links convenience with superiority. The word "only" is required because if there were other features that determine superiority then the conclusion that more convenient machines are superior cannot be drawn .

OA has been changed.


Hi Sayantan, Don't you think 'C' is too strong? The argument actually assumes that 'Convenience is a criteria of superiority for a particular group of people(Wheel chair users in this case)'. But the argument does not even hint that convenience is the only criteria of superiority. With that we did not know 'why top-loading washing machines are superior overall to front-loaders?'. Whether that is for convenience to all other group of users. Actually I do not think that this might be a GMAT question. What do you think? GMAT may ask this type of question?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3195
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 05:41
1
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
A is not an assumption, but just a restatement of what has already been stated in the passage. At most it could be an inference. An assumption should link the premise and conclusion. Option A does not do so.

C is better than A.The premise is about convenience, and the conclusion is about superiority. Option C links convenience with superiority. The word "only" is required because if there were other features that determine superiority then the conclusion that more convenient machines are superior cannot be drawn .

OA has been changed.


Hi Sayantan, Don't you think 'C' is too strong? The argument actually assumes that 'Convenience is a criteria of superiority for a particular group of people(Wheel chair users in this case)'. But the argument does not even hint that convenience is the only criteria of superiority. With that we did not know 'why top-loading washing machines are superior overall to front-loaders?'. Whether that is for convenience to all other group of users. Actually I do not think that this might be a GMAT question. What do you think? GMAT may ask this type of question?


It does not matter whether the scope of the premise is for one particular group of users or all the users. In either case the explanation given above holds. (If the premise is applicable for a particular group, the conclusion is also applicable for that particular group). Let me try once again to elaborate my explanations above:

The concept of "too strong" is applicable only for inference type questions, not for assumptions. In assumptions "too strong" statements are required to eliminate any possibility of alternative cases.

Take this general example:
Premise: X and Y happen together (scope: one particular group of users)
Conclusion: X causes Y (scope: only that particular group of user)

Strengthening statement: Some other event Z does not cause Y
Assumption: NO other event causes Y ( or in other words ONLY X causes Y).
(Both the above types are limited to the particular scope considered in premise and conclusion.)

In the subject question:
X= convenience
Y = superiority
The scope is limited to particular group of users.

If the question were a strengthening type question then a statement similar to the following could be answer:
Price is not an important factor in determining superiority. (Price = Z)

Since the the subject question is an assumption type question, the following statement is a correct answer:
Price or any other factor except convenience is not important in determining superiority. (for a particular group of users)
or in other words,
Convenience is the only factor in determining superiority. (for a particular group of users)
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 674
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 19:19
1
A IMO ;
Here isn't it taking a particular group "for some consumers"to say something about universal in C ?.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3195
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 22:06
Nightmare007 wrote:
A IMO ;
Here isn't it taking a particular group "for some consumers"to say something about universal in C ?.


A is an inference, not an assumption. Rather A is just a restatement of what has already been given in the passage.

However for option C, you are right. Ideally in option C it should have clarified that the statement is only about the particular group in question. In a real GMAT test, this kind of omission is probably not expected.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 84
Location: India
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 09:42
2
As per the below links, it seems like A is the answer..

https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11329

https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... t2035.html

Kindly change the OA..
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jun 2016
Posts: 89
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 19:08
Hello Expert, in this question, what will be the conclusion for above passage, i expected : top loading washing machines are superior overall to front loaders.

And for this conclusion, i selected 'D' option as assumption.

Please suggest where i am wrong ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 376
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 00:48
VKat wrote:
Hello Expert, in this question, what will be the conclusion for above passage, i expected : top loading washing machines are superior overall to front loaders.

And for this conclusion, i selected 'D' option as assumption.

Please suggest where i am wrong ?



Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that
top-loading washing machines are superior
overall to front-loaders. But front-loaders have
the controls and access in front. This is more
convenient for wheelchair users, some of
whom find it highly inconvenient to remove
laundry from top-loaders. So for some
consumers front-loaders are superior.

This bold text is the conclusion.

Assumption must be shatter proof :) meaning even if there is one case where the conclusion wont hold it breaks the conclusion. Hence we must make sure the underlying assumption is fool proof.
The conclusion says that based on convenience people decide which is superior. What if there is another factor which along with convenience decides which is superior.
In that case the entire argument falls apart. Hence assumption must be the exact opposite i.e., to say there is no other factor than convenience that decides which is superior. Hence C

as for D ,it is just an inference that needn't be true. Negating it doesn't do anything to the argument. Remember Assumption is an unstated premise that links the premises and the conclusion.

Hope I am clear.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 284
CAT Tests
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 18:54
1
VKat, as explained by goforgmat, choice D does not need to be true...

Quote:
(D) Retrieving clothes from a top-loader is convenient for people who do not use wheelchairs.


According to a recent study, "top-loading washing machines are superior overall to front-loaders." This suggests that many users find top-loaders superior in many ways (ie perhaps most users find that top-loaders clean their clothes faster and more thoroughly than front-loaders do). This does not require that most users find top-loaders to be superior in EVERY way. In fact, most users may find that "retrieving clothes from a top-loader" is actually INCONVENIENT; however, those users can still view top-loaders as superior to front-loaders overall based on other factors. Thus, D is not necessary.

Choice C is also not necessary. Several IMPORTANT FACTORS may have been considered when surveyed users compared front-loaders to top-loaders. For example, imagine that the surveyed users considered 10 different factors (ie energy efficiency, cleanliness of clothes, noise level, etc.) when comparing the two types. It is possible that most users considered top-loaders to be superior in most of those categories and thus superior overall. Wheelchair users may have considered top-loaders to be superior in several ways as well. The author is assuming that, because wheelchair users find front-loaders to be more convenient, then those wheelchair users must find front-loaders to be superior; however, it is certainly possible that wheelchair users consider top-loaders to be superior overall (based on OTHER advantages), even though they find front-loaders to be more convenient. Given that wheelchair users find front-loaders to be more convenient, we can only safely conclude that "for some consumers front-loaders are superior" if we assume that the "the convenience of front-loaders outweighs the advantages of top-loaders in assessing which is superior." Thus, the answer is A, as given in the original source.
_________________

www.gmatninja.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 345
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 06:22
Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing machines are superior overall to front-loaders. But front-loaders have the controls and access in front. This is more convenient for wheelchair users, some of whom find it highly inconvenient to remove laundry from top-loaders. So for some consumers front-loaders are superior.

Which one of the following is an assumption upon which the consumer advocate’s argument depends?

(A) For some consumers the convenience of front-loaders outweighs the advantages of top-loaders in assessing which is superior.

(B) Washing machines of a given type should be compared only with washing machines of that type.

(C) Convenience is the only important factor in determining which type of washing machine is superior.

(D) Retrieving clothes from a top-loader is convenient for people who do not use wheelchairs.

(E) Retrieving clothes from front-loaders is inconvenient for people who are not wheelchair users.
_________________

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Aug 2015
Posts: 32
Reviews Badge
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 09:57
1
This is a question from Manhattan LSAT. And the official answer is "A". Please correct the OA.
Below explanation has been mentioned in one of the forums of Manhattan website.

Answer choice is (C) is actually the sufficient assumption, as the truth of answer choice (C) would guarantee the conclusion. But it's not necessary that convenience is "the only" important factor. It's simply too strong...

Answer choice (A) is necessary to the argument. We know that there are some advantages to top-loaders and, for wheelchair users, there are some advantages to front-loaders.

_________________

** When even your best effort fails, do you back down from chasing your dreams ??? **

Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 39
Location: India
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.29
Reviews Badge
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 20:21
OA - A

Conclusion - For some consumers front loaders are superior

Negating C- Even if Convenience is the not the only important factor in determining which type of washing machine is superior, the conclusion can be true. For some people, it's just a more important factor (A).
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1210
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 22:35
Imo C
The author is classifying washing machines based on convenience.
Hence C is the necessary assumption

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 486
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 05:16
Hi,

I feel, had the choice C read as "For some consumers, convenience is the only important factor in determining which type of washing machine is superior", it would have been an apt choice. I feel "only" is making it too strong.

mikemcgarry - can you please help?

Thanks
Re: Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2018, 05:16

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Consumer advocate: A recent study concluded that top-loading washing

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.