Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [53]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2860 [12]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer banks to tur [#permalink]
nusmavrik wrote:
The biggest fallacy in this argument is it is causal. X -> Y shortage of competition (X) leads to higher (Y) interest rates on personal loans. If there is a reverse trend. i.e. X leads to Negative (Y) then the argument goes for a toss.

The interest rates in CA is not higher than other regions of the US because ......

Perhaps the depositors get lower interest rates since there is lack of competition. The trend reverses and weakens the argument substantially. E is correct.

Hi nusmavrik..
I am somehow not be able to understand this ..pls explain it again ...regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer banks to tur [#permalink]
Kudos
My bad :wink: . Sorry.

The passage uses a single premise to base the judgement that CA banks have a higher interest rates than those of the banks in most parts of US.
Premise: Lack of competition.
Conclusion : X leads to Y. Lack of competition (X) leads to higher (Y) interest rates on personal loans.

E says there is lack of competition to attract the customers in CA hence interest rates paid by banks to depositors are lower than by banks in other parts of US. Argument is about interest rates on personal loans NOT savings account. Irrelevant.

A says that since the wages of qualified customers in CA are high the banks charge more fee. A is an alternate explanation to Y (high interest rates on personal loans). Z -> Y. This weakens the main conclusion.

Answer should be A.

gauravnagpal wrote:
Hi nusmavrik..
I am somehow not be able to understand this ..pls explain it again ...regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 736 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
A for me
CDE are just out of scope or they strengthen the argument, but the tricky part is choose between A and B
The conclusion of the argument states that Shortage of banks ---> higher interest rates. This is cause and effect

A says that there is another cause for the higher interest; They have to pay higher wages in California -----> higher interest rates (so it shows another cause for the issue, and that's what we want)

B says personal loans are riskier...so what? B at the least strengthen the argument, because it says other things constant the interest rates are still higher in California compared to interest rates in any other state.
A is the best

Originally posted by elevinty on 15 Oct 2010, 01:31.
Last edited by elevinty on 15 Oct 2010, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I don't understand the OA. What's the relationship between high depository fee and high interest rate on personal loans? I cannot see any positive correlation here. Please help explain. Tks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
phamduyha wrote:
I don't understand the OA. What's the relationship between high depository fee and high interest rate on personal loans? I cannot see any positive correlation here. Please help explain. Tks

We need to weaken the conclusion in the question. What is the conclusion?
- Interest rates on personal loans in California are higher than in any other region of the US because of shortage of competition.

Option (A) says that California banks pay higher wages than others to attract qualified workers. So they charge depositors more than other banks. Could it also be the reason why interest rates on personal loans are higher? If banks have to pay higher wages, their expense is more and hence, they may be charging more from their customers. So shortage of competition may not be the reason of higher interest rates. Remember, I only need to weaken my conclusion. I don't need to prove it invalid. This information has weakened my conclusion.

Option (B) personal loans are riskier for all banks. Why then do California banks charge higher interest? The reason could very well be lack of competition. So it does not weaken my conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Kudos
IMO A,

I guess we are pretty certain why B and C are wrong. Lets take the other options

D: The proportion of consumers who default on their personal loans is lower in California than in any other region of the United States
This option simply suggests that this is one of the reasons why banks should not charge higher rate of interests on personal loans, since their debtors or defaulters are much less (in proportion) as compared to other regions in the country. Even though this may be luring, this is NOT WEAKENING the conclusion at all. It just points one reason why banks should not over charge customers.

E: Interest rates paid by California banks to depositors are lower than those paid by banks in other parts of the United States because in California there is less competition to attract depositors
This option is actually out of context for current argument. The argument talks about interest rates on personal loans and NOT ON DEPOSITS made in the bank. Even if we try to relate it somehow to the argument, to my understanding this is in fact strengthening the argument by demonstrating a separate event with same reasoning or trend.

A: Because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of me services they offer
Now, 'A' suggests that operating cost of banks in California is higher than elsewhere because they must pay to attract qualified workers. Since the operating cost is higher, to make profits, they may need to charge higher interest rates to customers. 'A' clearly gives an alternate reason why banks are charging higher interest rates to customers.

Hope this helps.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
The argument states that the banks in California charge a higher rate of interest to consumers because of a dearth of banks in California. Hence the reason stated is the lack of competition among banks. Answer choice stating any other factor for the same can be the answer."A" states a different reason altogether. The reason is the higher wages banks need to pay qualified workers which is completely different from the reason stated in the argument. Hence "A" is the answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM

The answer is A

Explanation :- As I have said again and again in all my critical reasoning post. The success to critical reasoning depends on isolating the premise and conclusion. Depending on what the question is asking, we then evaluate the options, based solely upon premise or conclusion.
This is a weaken question and we will evaluate the answer choices based only on the Conclusion of the argument.

Lets quickly identify and isolate the premise and conclusion
Premise 1) Only a small number of banks in California gives personal loans to people.
Premise 2) Because of small number of banks there is no competition among these banks.
Conclusion) Since there is no competition the bank charge higher interest rate.

So as we can see according to the reasoning of the argument:- Higher interest rate are because of lack of competition in California.. Now if we want to weaken this argument then we will have to show that higher interest rate are not because of lack of competition but higher interest rate are because of some other reason.

The answer choice that will show another reason for higher interest rate will be correct

Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer banks to turn to than do consumers elsewhere in the United States. This shortage of competition among banks explains why interest rates on personal loans in California are higher than in any other region of the United States.
Which of the following, if true, most substantially weakens the conclusion above?

(A) Because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of me services they offer
HOLD IT .. SOUNDS VAGUE BUT RELATED TO OUR OBJECTIVE (OUR OBJECTIVE IS TO SHOW THAT THERE IS ANOTHER REASON FOR HIGH INTEREST)

(B) Personal loans are riskier than other types of loans, such as home mortgage loans, that banks make.
WRONG:- This is just telling us that some loans are riskier than other. It is not mentioning competition or high interest rate. DISCARD THIS OPTION

(C) Since bank deposits in California are covered by the same type of insurance that guarantees bank deposits in other parts of the United States, they are no less secure than deposits elsewhere.
WRONG:- This is strengthening the argument. If all back have same security , then all bank should follow similar banking practise. It is not showing why the interest rate is higher. DISCARD THIS OPTION

(D) The proportion of consumers who default on their personal loans is lower in California than in any other region of the United States.
WRONG:-Some guys may chose it as a correct answer but remember this is out of scope. It does not talk about how competition or lack of it affects interest rates. It is not addressing our conclusion. DISCARD THIS OPTION

(E) Interest rates paid by California banks to depositors are lower than those paid by banks in other parts of the United States because in California there is less competition to attract depositors
WRONG:- This is contradicting the premise and conclusion both by saying interest rate are lower and competition is less DISCARD THIS OPTION

so we are left with option A
Now lets recheck it quickly
(A) Because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of me services they offer
RIGHT :- Now we can see why this choice is right. This options tells us that because California bank pay more to their employee, they charge their customers more for everything; not only personal loans but for every service. California bank charge more for locker, more for saving account, more for credit card annual fees, more for car loans, more for education loans. AND THIS OPTION ALSO TELL US THAT CALIFORNIA BACK CHARGE MORE NOT BECAUSE OF LACK OF COMPETITION BUT BECAUSE ITS EMPLOYEES ARE THE BEST IN BUSINESS AND THEY BANK HAD TO PAY THEM MORE MONEY THAN BANKS IN OTHER AMERICAN CITIES.

Essentially this option destroys the conclusion by telling not only personal loans but all baking services charge more and that the reason for it is not the lack of competition
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
My ans. A , below is the explanation :

What to weaken : Shortage of competition among banks explains why interest rates on personal loans in California are higher than in any other region of the United States.

Lets check whcih option fails to weak this conclusion

seems reasonable why banks in california charge more depositors for many of their services . Lets keep this option

(B) Personal loans are riskier than other types of loans, such as home mortgage loans, that banks make.

General and Out Of Scope . Doesn't expalin any reason why specifically bank in california charges more interset for Personal loans. eliminate this

(C) Since bank deposits in California are covered by the same type of insurance that guarantees bank deposits in other parts of the United States, they are no less secure than deposits elsewhere.
This doesn't expalin the difference between charges of banks in US or california. eliminate this

(D) The proportion of consumers who default on their personal loans is lower in California than in any other region of the United States.

This strengthen the conclusion and doesn't weaken . eliminate this

(E) Interest rates paid by California banks to depositors are lower than those paid by banks in other parts of the United States because in California there is less competition to attract depositors.

It doesn't explain the situation in hand ( why California bank charges more interset on personal loans). It explains the out of scope situation that why califonia banks providing less interest to depositors. eliminate this

Hence answer is A :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma
keeping in mind the conclusion, shortage of competition for me B looked out of scope
am I right?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM