It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2009, 05:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (01:42) correct 35% (01:57) wrong based on 474 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer banks to turn to than do consumers elsewhere in the US. This shortage of competition explains why interest rates on personal loans in California are higher than in any other region of the US.

Which of the following, if true, most substantially weakens the conclusion above?

(A) because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of the services they offer.

(B) personal loans are riskier than other types of loans, such as home mortgage loans, that banks make.

(C) since bank deposits in California are covered by the same type of insurance that guarantees bank deposits in other parts of the US, they are no less secure than deposits elsewhere

(D) the proportion of consumers who default on their personal loans is lower in California than in any other region of the US.

(E) interest rates paid by California banks to depositors are lower than those paid by banks in other parts of the US because in California there is less competition to attract depositors.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 766 [0], given: 17

Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2009, 09:46
clearly between
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A & D

we need an "alternate explanation"

hence
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Kudos [?]: 766 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Schools: Columbia(RD-ding w/o int),

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2009, 09:47
In my opinion, Answer is A.

Option A clearly shows another reason why banks in California charge higher interest rates and hence weakens the argument.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1658 [1], given: 18

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2009, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
wolver123 wrote:
Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer banks to turn to than do consumers elsewhere in the US. This shortage of competition explains why interest rates on personal loans in California are higher than in any other region of the US. Which of the following, if true, most substantially weakens the conclusion above?

a) because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of the services they offer. This tells us that the banks in california charge more for some of their services because costs incurred by them are higher than those incurred by banks elsewhere. Thus it gives us a valid alternate reason for higher interest rates.

b) personal loans are riskier than other types of loans, such as home mortgage loans, that banks make. This just tells us that personal loans are riskier in general. If it stated that personal loans are specifically riskier in california then it would've been a contender. Cannot weaken the argument since it provides us with no alternate reason as to why interests rates in california are higher.

c) since bank deposits in California are covered by the same type of insurance that guarantees bank deposits in other parts of the US, they are no less secure than deposits elsewhere. This talks about deposits whereas we are interested in loans. It doesn't even try to relate the two. Not valid due to scope shift.

d) the proportion of consumers who default on their personal loans is lower in California than in any other region of the US. Could be a contender but the reasoning is indirect and doesn't tell us that a lower defaulting rate is directly responsible for higher interest rates on loans. Not valid because reasoning is weak in comparison to choice A.

e) interest rates paid by California banks to depositors are lower than those paid by banks in other parts of the US because in California there is less competition to attract depositors. Again this talks of depositors whereas we are concerned with personal loans. In addition, the reasoning might even strengthen the argument by stressing on the fact that competition is an important factor in deciding interest rates. Not valid because of partial scope shift and partial strengthening of main conclusion.

Explanations please.

Hope this helps.

Answer : A

Click below to check out some great tips and tricks to help you deal with problems on Remainders!
http://gmatclub.com/forum/compilation-of-tips-and-tricks-to-deal-with-remainders-86714.html#p651942

Word Problems Made Easy!
1) Translating the English to Math : http://gmatclub.com/forum/word-problems-made-easy-87346.html
2) 'Work' Problems Made Easy : http://gmatclub.com/forum/work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html
3) 'Distance/Speed/Time' Word Problems Made Easy : http://gmatclub.com/forum/distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html

Kudos [?]: 1658 [1], given: 18

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2009, 12:38
Totally agree - A

---------------------------------------------------------------
Check-out the following:
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Math Divisibility Test

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2009, 01:08
yup. thanks for the explanations. OA is A

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 23:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer banks to turn to than do consumers elsewhere in the United States. This shortage of competition among banks explains why interest rates on personal loans in California are higher than in any other region of the United States.
Which of the following, if true, most substantially weakens the conclusion above?

(A) Because of the comparatively high wages they must pay to attract qualified workers, California banks charge depositors more than banks elsewhere do for many of me services they offer

(B) Personal loans are riskier than other types of loans, such as home mortgage loans, that banks make.

(C) Since bank deposits in California are covered by the same type of insurance that guarantees bank deposits in other parts of the United States, they are no less secure than deposits elsewhere.

(D) The proportion of consumers who default on their personal loans is lower in California than in any other region of the United States.

(E) Interest rates paid by California banks to depositors are lower than those paid by banks in other parts of the United States because in California there is less competition to attract depositors

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 00:29
The biggest fallacy in this argument is it is causal. X -> Y shortage of competition (X) leads to higher (Y) interest rates on personal loans. If there is a reverse trend. i.e. X leads to Negative (Y) then the argument goes for a toss.

The interest rates in CA is not higher than other regions of the US because ......

Perhaps the depositors get lower interest rates since there is lack of competition. The trend reverses and weakens the argument substantially. E is correct.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 02:09
E for me too. ..Thanks gauravnagpal

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 33

GPA: 4
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 04:47
I chose E because the other options are all out of scope. Can somebody explain why "E"?

-If you like my post, consider giving KUDOS

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 33

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 05:33
nusmavrik wrote:
The biggest fallacy in this argument is it is causal. X -> Y shortage of competition (X) leads to higher (Y) interest rates on personal loans. If there is a reverse trend. i.e. X leads to Negative (Y) then the argument goes for a toss.

The interest rates in CA is not higher than other regions of the US because ......

Perhaps the depositors get lower interest rates since there is lack of competition. The trend reverses and weakens the argument substantially. E is correct.

Hi nusmavrik..
I am somehow not be able to understand this ..pls explain it again ...regards

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 07:46
My bad :wink: . Sorry.

The passage uses a single premise to base the judgement that CA banks have a higher interest rates than those of the banks in most parts of US.
Premise: Lack of competition.
Conclusion : X leads to Y. Lack of competition (X) leads to higher (Y) interest rates on personal loans.

E says there is lack of competition to attract the customers in CA hence interest rates paid by banks to depositors are lower than by banks in other parts of US. Argument is about interest rates on personal loans NOT savings account. Irrelevant.

A says that since the wages of qualified customers in CA are high the banks charge more fee. A is an alternate explanation to Y (high interest rates on personal loans). Z -> Y. This weakens the main conclusion.

Answer should be A.

gauravnagpal wrote:
Hi nusmavrik..
I am somehow not be able to understand this ..pls explain it again ...regards

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 09:32
I don't agree that OA is E. It should be A.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 20:28
Hi Nusmavrik ,mrik
Even I believe E is not the correcr answer but it is ..I donot have any OE for it ..

reg

Director
Director

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 20:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
thanks ! I'm looking at this one second day in a row and argument is definitely causal.

There are 3 ways to destroy a causal argument - X leads to Y
1. Alternate explanation : Z leads to Y ----> This is used in this CR
2. Reverse causal hypothesis : Y leads to X
3. Confusing correlation with causation. If you can cast a doubt that argument is a mere correlation, causal argument is destroyed

The worst you can do is contradict a premise. First I thought E contradicts the premise but then GMAT designs question in such a way that choice doesn't look ridiculous. So I guess E is a scope shift.

gauravnagpal wrote:
Hi Nusmavrik ,mrik
Even I believe E is not the correcr answer but it is ..I donot have any OE for it ..

reg

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 21:44
gud 1 nusmavrik
A is correct. This is a simple causal argument. the author cites shortage aof competetion as the only reason 4 high interest rates. To break this causal link, we could show that another factor explains the reason 4 high int rates.

consider cudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2010, 20:40
should it be A??...I went for A but gmatprep doesnt give wrong OAs :(

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2010, 01:25
psychomath wrote:
should it be A??...I went for A but gmatprep doesnt give wrong OAs :(

I am not 100% sure about the source ..( one of my friend gave it to me )

So dont worry about that part .. I posted this becuase I did not agree with the OA ..
So if u picked A , then u are correct .( as explained by NUSMAVRIK)..cheers

cheers

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 789 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2010, 09:18
I think A it is.

E is not correct.

Kudos [?]: 789 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2010, 09:00
Bit confused between A and E :-(

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2010, 09:00

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 

Consumers in California seeking personal loans have fewer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap