It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Core Course Waivers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Schools: Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
Core Course Waivers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2009, 13:55
I am curious as to what experiences may be with waiving core courses. I understand the trade off, more time getting to know/bonding with your sections vs. the opportunity to take more electives.

I am looking at Ross in particular and I almost feel like I would be able to test out of three or possibly four of the core courses. I doubt that I will attempt to do that many but my thinking is that if I already know this "basic" stuff, why not push myself into the more difficult/interesting courses.

What do you guys think? How often is this done? Am I underestimating what is covered in the core economics, accounting, or statistics courses? Should I simply relax and enjoy some somewhat "easier" classes my first semester to get adjusted?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Schools: Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
Re: Core Course Waivers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2009, 14:03
Just because you might be able to get waivers for some classes, I don't think it means that you can take 2nd year classes sooner. After all, 1st year is all about bonding and taking classes with your section.

Also, more prestigious the program, tougher to get waivers. For example, should all investment bankers be waived from finance classes and all accountants waived from accounting classes? That defeats the whole purpose of taking classes together and sharing your knowledge. If the classes will be "easy" for you, then take it anyway. You will be able to ace it, no?

Also, just because you are an expert of certain core classes, don't waive it. Part of bschool is to share your knowledge with your classmates.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Current Student

Schools: Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2009, 13:26
I appreciate the advice BearSterner. Anyone else currently enrolled have any thoughts on this?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Schools: Ross 2010

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2009, 17:39
At Ross a lot of people waive out of financial accounting in Fall A and take the more advanced finance class then especially people with MC/IB backgrounds. Hardly anyone waives stats or econ. I think you can only waive econ if you were an econ major or took a ton of econ classes in undergrad. Stats is very tough unless you have done a lot of statistics work in your job. Besides the stats professors are AMAZING. From what I remember something like 6 people took the test and only one passed. I don't know anyone who waived operations or managerial accounting.

Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: Core Course Waivers   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2009, 17:39

Core Course Waivers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: aeropower, OasisGC, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap