Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmmm

This doesn't sound like your run of the mill mass email/mailings. I would jump on it.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would also jump on that.

Interesting how they reached out to you when you aren't even in their database with an in-progress application.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
May we ask your profile?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
May we ask your profile?

I think that this may be more because I live in the NY area (any other NY'ers recently took the GMAT and can confirm this?)

my profile is not extrordinary by any means... especially compared to some of the folks here. all GMASS knows about me is this:

3.1 GPA from public university
710 GMAT 48Q 40V 5.5 AWA

other profile info:

I've got about 6 1/2 years progressive managerial work experience in nonprofit sector. nothing too spectacular, but i started my career young, worked hard, and reached middle management for the industry where i was in... but my industry was definately non-standard so I win points here.

zero extra curriculars while in college (see progressive work experience above :0)

non minority male
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
I would also jump on that.

Interesting how they reached out to you when you aren't even in their database with an in-progress application.

well, see my post in the PhD forum. Cornell = dream school for me as far as PhD is concerned.

I never even considered applying to them for grad school. now, I can't see how I can NOT apply. I thought I was just about done with apps. now I have to write four more essays... grrr!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also took the GMAT last month and received this email today, and live in the NYC area.
I assume they're pretty much basing it on GMAT score. I don't think they're accepting us and inviting us into the school/program, but it seems like a neat little reception at the very least, held in "The Library of the Cornell Club." Haha.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry but.... I'm-a-gonna pour a little water on the party here.

It is a run of the mill email, its triggered by your GMAT.

I got one last year, as did LOTS of people. They try to make it sound like they are actually selecting you - they aren't. The phrase: "You have been selected from a group of prospective students to attend this event." seems deceivingly personal and like some thought was actually put into who got invited.

This couldn't be further from the truth: its an entirely automated process based on GMAT score. Last year, it sent that email to non-us citizens as well - who are not even eligible for the program! I nearly went to the breakfast they had planned in Chicago, but fortunately discovered the truth beforehand. I called the school and pressed them a little about how I was selected - they finally admitted it was just a database grab based on GMAT score.

Whats worse, they sent the invite out on TWO separate occasions and eventually had to send follow up emails apologizing to all the non us-citizens they accidentally "selected" for a program they can't even apply for.

You should be happy you got it certainly, but sadly, it means little - its not just a NY thing either, they hold these little get togethers all over the US.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
To me, the important question is not whether I am eligible for the program, but rather, what sorts of food will they be serving at the reception.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ohhh man....

I just received an email from Cornell.... I was expecting it to be an invite for the scholarship, but it was invite for the gay club that's meeting in San Francisco. lol.

I'm not gay or have anything against gay people, but just thought it was funny. haha on me.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]