GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 05:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Nov 2018, 02:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:10) correct 56% (01:14) wrong based on 1775 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses

(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using

(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses

(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses

(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses

Please explain me why the answer "C" is preferred over "D"?

PS.before posting this Q,I looked at below mentioned url but 227 Q was not there.
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1-1000sc-100- ... 85402.html

Originally posted by SoniaSaini on 01 Feb 2011, 09:09.
Last edited by Bunuel on 16 Nov 2018, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2012, 16:19
The correct idiom is 'method for diagnosing'. Eliminate (D), (E). The subject 'coronary angiography' is interrupted by the phrase, 'a sophisticated...'. As soon as that parenthetical phrase ends we need a verb that goes together with the subject. Only 'involves' does this. Therefore (C).

Hope that helps!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.07
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2012, 14:07
@maybeam

regarding your question
when speaking in manners of procedures or a way to do something (using the word method), use "method for".
But when speaking in manners of using a certain method to find out or conclude something, use "method to".
Eg. Use the negating method to weaken the arguments conclusion.

Using the explanation above there is only one answer choice that stands out:
C) Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function. Correct structure.

Anwser choice D might be confusing at first but the use of "that" incorrectly modifies disease.
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

Hope this helps!

PS: i find it very helpful that you keep posting all this questions in forum, for discussion, etc. Kudos to you @maybeam!
General Discussion
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2011, 14:01
SoniaSaini wrote:
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using
(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses
(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses

Please explain me why the answer "C" is preferred over "D"?

PS.before posting this Q,I looked at below mentioned url but 227 Q was not there.
1-1000sc-100-brutal-q-explanations-2-level-of-question-85402.html

Hi!

When you see lots of clauses and phrases, think modification.

The problem with D is the phrase "that involves the introduction of dye"; since that phrase immediately follows "coronary disease", that's what it modifies. However, that doesn't make any sense; we want that phrase to modify "coronary angiography".

In C, we have a comma after disease, turning that whole clause into a parenthetical comment that we can ignore when evaluating the sentence. So, C actually reads:

Quote:
Coronary angiography, blah blah blah, involves the introduction of dye...

which is exactly what we want.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2012, 23:51
maybeam wrote:
227. Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

I agree that its the angiography that involves the introduction of the dye and not the diesase.
But is the usage
Quote:
method for
a correct usage.

I was confused b/w the forms

method for and method to

and choosed method to as right, though it turned out to be wrong. Can somebody help me on this?

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 00:53
Prominent misplaced modifier error in wrong choices: modifier is modifying diseases instead of angiography

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 23:29
i have still confusion between A and C. i found A grammatically correct but it is wrong meaning wise as it says "disease involves introduction of dye ..". but in C, there is something wrong with "and is". can anyone please explain the difference between A and C.

although i selected A, now i realize that A is wrong meaning wise.

C is correct.
CA,..., involves...., and is administered...
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 00:02
brs1cob wrote:
i have still confusion between A and C. i found A grammatically correct but it is wrong meaning wise as it says "disease involves introduction of dye ..". but in C, there is something wrong with "and is". can anyone please explain the difference between A and C.

although i selected A, now i realize that A is wrong meaning wise.

C is correct.
CA,..., involves...., and is administered...

brs1cob

Here the present participle "involving" modifies the immediately preceding noun disease. But disease doesn't involve the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart but rather the method involves that. Therefore A is wrong.

C correctly describes the method by saying two things using parallel predicates: invoves... and is administered...

Hope it helps

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 02:49

meaning : CA is a sophisticated method. CA involves bla bla.
CA is NOW administered selectively. Why administered selectively?? because CA uses X-rays to observe....
( Here the reason provided is only for "now administered selectively " and not why it involves dye ,,)

- meaning : CA involves the intro of dye... and is now administered selectively. why?? (Here "because " is providing a reason for the entire clause " involves and administered) . I disagree with this answer choice.

We have to choose best answer which makes sense. . Here structurally provoding a reaon for "involves" is not right.

I disagree with the OA .
P.S. I agree that rest all are grammatically incorrect but even C is logically at fault.
ChrisLele @mikemcagrayy DmitryFarber GMATNinja chetan2u daagh
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 02:20
[quote="SoniaSaini"]Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses( involving is modifying disease,not correct)

(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using(same as in A,no subject in clause)

(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses(prepositional phrase correctly modifies C. Angiography,involves an action verb correctly describes the C.angiography)

(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses( that modifies disease illogically,it is not disease that involves rather it is CA)

(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses(involving is incorrectly modifying disease,which is incorrectly modifying heart)

Would go with choice C

Thanks

IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 04:21
Hello,

Greetings for the day!

Can anybody please explain the usage of "method to" and "method for" ?

Thanks in anticipation!

Best,
Kunal
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary &nbs [#permalink] 27 Nov 2018, 04:21

Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap