GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 17:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Correct my TOEFL essay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Correct my TOEFL essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 10:15
Everyone can send his or her own TOEFL essay and experts can judge the essay and rate it.
Intern
Intern
Re: Correct my TOEFL essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 10:18
Do you agree or disagree?
Young people care about community less now.
TPO 25- Independent Task

In today's world, everyone seeks his or her own success through different ways. By macroscopic view, the people are gathered together in a large community which plays an important role in their life. There are a lot of people who do not recognize how this large structure has an influence on them. Therefore, they do not care about it so much. As far as I am concerned, there are two different views toward this question. Some people think that young people care about their communities as much as they did in the past. While, others believe otherwise. I subscribe to the latter one, and there are several reasons to name. Three of which—that is—there is no understanding of the community's importance, technology makes young people distant from community, and the business of young people prevents them from caring about their environment, are the most conspicuous ones.

The most important point that I am advocating is that nowadays young people cannot understand the importance of their community. As compared to the past, parents pay extra attention to their children now. This satisfies the requirements of young people in some way. For example in the past, everyone was forced to work in farms or in garages to help the family survive. Therefore, they were forced to be in their community. But, everything is provided by the parents now which prevents children from entering their community. Therefore, they do not think that it could be critical to take part in it as an important member and help its success.

The second reason that comes to mind is that technology puts distance between young people and their community. By this I mean in the past every one needed to go out to satisfy his or her own demands. Go shopping, meeting friend, hiking, and etc. were forced children to go out sometimes. On the other hand, young people can go shopping and meet their friend by using the Internet now. Besides, exercise facilities can be provided at home which prevents them from going out for climbing and hiking. Therefore, they cannot interact with elements of the community properly, which could be a motivator for them to participate in the community more than before.

Last but not least, young people are so busy with their tasks which prevent them from participating in the society and community. In the past, young people were surrounded with activities most of which were related to the community. But, in today world, juvenile’s tasks are completely exclusive from the community, and they tend to accomplish them alone.

All in all, to sum up what I outlined above, it is obvious that prevention of young people from entering into the community, their business with their own tasks, and less chance to interact with community members, and several other reasons, are reasons which play an important role in their less attention to the community.
Intern
Intern
Re: Correct my TOEFL essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 05:05
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
At universities and colleges, sports and social activities are just as important as classes and libraries and should receive equal financial support.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

As we all know, acquiring knowledge has a tremendous influence on students. However, over recent years people have conflicting opinions about whether sports and social activities deserve the same treatment as classes and libraries. As far as I'm concerned, classes and libraries should dominate the expenditure of colleges.

First, classes and libraries benefit almost all students, whereas investment on sports and social activities can only serve a part of students. It is because not every student is keen on sports and social activities but everyone has to learn capability to survive. Furthermore, studying is the duty of students. Francis Bacon, one of the most eminent British philosophers, once remarked, "Knowledge is power." I totally agree with him since his comment discloses that acquiring knowledge is vital to every student. Evidently, classes and libraries will benefit more students.

Second, the consumption of classes and libraries is more than that of sports and social activities. It is due to the cost of education is becoming higher and higher. For instance, scientific research equipment is usually expensive, and universities and colleges must employ authoritative professors to elevate the quality of the classes. Plus, the libraries require to be filled up with quantities of documentations and academic materials. However, holding sports meetings and organizing social activities merely cost a little money compared to classes and libraries.

Admittedly, sports and social activities do require funding, but they are only a small amount. Moreover, they can be supported by commercial companies. Now many universities have associations composed by students. They can pull sponsorship for their daily social activities. The sponsor provide the students funding, and in exchange, student associations advertise for them. For example, our class went to a home party to celebrate the new year. This may be a little expensive for us students. Whereas, since we had got financial support from our sponsor, everybody enjoyed himself for totally free.

In conclusion, universities should allocate more funding on classes and libraries rather than on sports and social activities.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Correct my TOEFL essay &nbs [#permalink] 14 Aug 2018, 05:05

Correct my TOEFL essay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: carcass

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap