GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 04:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Could I work with a PhD?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
Could I work with a PhD?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 18:36
Hi everybody, even before I finalize my MBA admissions It has been suggested by many family members with PhDs in non business fields that I should consider a PhD in business right after my MBA. I really don't know anything about PhDs in business but off the top of my head I do happen to really be interested in management research and decision making. At the same time I am pretty ambivalent about an Academic career.
I am just wondering if PhDs in business do have good job opportunities in the business world? For example if I do a PhD with a research focus on management and strategy, are there consulting jobs available for people with this profile?

Also, considering MBA programs do not have a thesis, how exactly are you supposed to prove to PhD adcom that you have good research ability/potential? Research assistant positions for MBA students?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Could I work with a PhD?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 14:24
Emilio95 wrote:
Hi everybody, even before I finalize my MBA admissions It has been suggested by many family members with PhDs in non business fields that I should consider a PhD in business right after my MBA. I really don't know anything about PhDs in business but off the top of my head I do happen to really be interested in management research and decision making. At the same time I am pretty ambivalent about an Academic career.
I am just wondering if PhDs in business do have good job opportunities in the business world? For example if I do a PhD with a research focus on management and strategy, are there consulting jobs available for people with this profile?

Also, considering MBA programs do not have a thesis, how exactly are you supposed to prove to PhD adcom that you have good research ability/potential? Research assistant positions for MBA students?

Thank you

Hi Emilio95,

These are all good questions. From personal experience in the NYC financial markets, a Ph.D. is only relevant in the business world when a job involves working in data. Financial institutions, in particular, are using data to increase their efficiency and find better solutions to serve their clients. You will find a lot of PhDs in Data Sciences holding positions in quant research and data analytics groups within the greats. A Ph.D. in data analytics (or related field) may help you have a seat at the decision-making table.

There are numerous ways to showcase your Ph.D. readiness. I'm happy to schedule a complimentary consultation to discuss further. Please email me at info[at]SiaAdmissions[dot]com

Best of luck!

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

GMAT Club Bot
Could I work with a PhD? &nbs [#permalink] 05 Apr 2018, 14:24

Could I work with a PhD?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: carcass, billionaire

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap