It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR - Artistic Expression

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

CR - Artistic Expression [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2009, 20:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Not entirely convinced by the answer to the below stem.Give it a shot .Will post OA soon.

The extent to which a society is really free can be gauged by its attitude towards artistic expression.Freedom of expression can easily be violated in even the most outwardly democratic of societies.When a governmnet arts council withholds funding from a dance performance that its members deem obescene,the voices of a few have in fact censored the work of the choregrapher,thereby committing the real obscenity of repression.

Which of the following ,if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

A)Members of government arts councils are screened to ensure that their beliefs reflect those of the majority.
B)The term obscenity has several different definitions that should not be used interchangeably for rhetorical effect.
C)Failing to provide financial support for a preformance is not the same as actively preventing it.
D)The council's decision could be reversed if the performance were altered to conform to public standards of appropriateness.
E)The definition of obscenity is something on which most members of society can agree.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 566 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Artistic Expression [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2009, 20:57
IMO C

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1342 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2009, 00:43
Kiski wrote:
Not entirely convinced by the answer to the below stem.Give it a shot .Will post OA soon.

The extent to which a society is really free can be gauged by its attitude towards artistic expression.Freedom of expression can easily be violated in even the most outwardly democratic of societies.When a governmnet arts council withholds funding from a dance performance that its members deem obescene,the voices of a few have in fact censored the work of the choregrapher,thereby committing the real obscenity of repression.

Which of the following ,if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

A)Members of government arts councils are screened to ensure that their beliefs reflect those of the majority.
B)The term obscenity has several different definitions that should not be used interchangeably for rhetorical effect.
C)Failing to provide financial support for a preformance is not the same as actively preventing it.
D)The council's decision could be reversed if the performance were altered to conform to public standards of appropriateness.
E)The definition of obscenity is something on which most members of society can agree.

B, so tired now, I will come back explain if correct

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1342 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2009, 02:41
A. If the members of government represt majority then the conclusion will fall apart.

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2009, 12:04
scthakur wrote:
A. If the members of government represt majority then the conclusion will fall apart.

This was my reasoning as well for selecting option A. OA provided is C. I feel choice A > C. Could those who have chosen C explain how it is a more appropriate answer over choice A ? Thanks.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2009, 15:20
Kiski wrote:
scthakur wrote:

This was my reasoning as well for selecting option A. OA provided is C. I feel choice A > C. Could those who have chosen C explain how it is a more appropriate answer over choice A ? Thanks.

A - Even if a majority of society agrees with the government then it is still screening and undemocratic. The issue in this question doesn't involve the number of people who are affected (rather its questioning the presence of censorship).

C - States that even if these projects are censured they can still be developed (through private contributions).

Hope this helps....if it doesn't let me know and I'll try to be more thorough.

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 2

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2009, 20:41
Agree with you
chicagocubsrule wrote:
Kiski wrote:
scthakur wrote:

A - Even if a majority of society agrees with the government then it is still screening and undemocratic. The issue in this question doesn't involve the number of people who are affected (rather its questioning the presence of censorship).

C - States that even if these projects are censured they can still be developed (through private contributions).

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2009, 23:10
IMO C......

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 14

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 510 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 00:18
Can u explain wht does thi smean? "thereby committing the real obscenity of repression"
I didnt understand the stem well
chicagocubsrule wrote:
Kiski wrote:
scthakur wrote:

Kudos [?]: 510 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 12:44
I agree with C.

C attacks the issue at its core.

A weakens it but C is saying that the comparison itself is not valid. Just because financial support is not provided does not mean that artistic expression is being prevented entirely. The stem starts out with the artistic expression

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 14:56
Hi mates,

I'd go with C

The argument assumes that failing to fund the dance performance means to violate the freedom of expression. C denies that assumption

OA and Source?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

Re: CR - Artistic Expression   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2009, 14:56