It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 08:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR-obese

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

CR-obese [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 08:03
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Help me guys !!!again got to to options then confused!!!share the approach!!

Statistics show that although consumption of
low-calorie, alternative sweeteners has gone up
in each of the past five years, so has the
percentage of the population that is obese.
According to sugar manufacturers, this shows
that the low-calorie, alternative sweeteners are
not effective weight loss aids.
Which of the following assertions, if true, would
most weaken the sugar manufacturers’
conclusion?

(A) Many people who use low-calorie,
alternative sweeteners eat some foods
that are not low-calorie.
(B) Some low-calorie, alternative sweeteners
can increase the appetite, making a
person eat more than he or she normally
would.
(C) Many people use low-calorie, alternative
sweeteners to accompany a wellbalanced,
low-calorie diet.
(D) Obesity has declined among people who
have consistently used low-calorie,
alternative sweeteners.
(E) The rise in the consumption of low-calorie,
alternative sweeteners is primarily due to
an increase in the number of users rather
than an increase in the amount each user
consume
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-obese [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 08:44
Long time lurker...couldn't help but start answering.

IMO (D)

The assumption is that the impact on the general population can be applied to the specific group (sweetener consumers).

(D) directly contradicts. Consumers of sweetener actually are losing weight, (an effective weight loss aid), and those that don't have an increasing obesity rate

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 210

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-obese [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 09:23
D for me too and I agree with the reasoning above.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 429

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-obese [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 09:29
spriya wrote:
Help me guys !!!again got to to options then confused!!!share the approach!!

Statistics show that although consumption of
low-calorie, alternative sweeteners has gone up
in each of the past five years, so has the
percentage of the population that is obese.
According to sugar manufacturers, this shows
that the low-calorie, alternative sweeteners are
not effective weight loss aids.
Which of the following assertions, if true, would
most weaken the sugar manufacturers’
conclusion?

(A) Many people who use low-calorie,
alternative sweeteners eat some foods
that are not low-calorie.
(B) Some low-calorie, alternative sweeteners
can increase the appetite, making a
person eat more than he or she normally
would.
(C) Many people use low-calorie, alternative
sweeteners to accompany a wellbalanced,
low-calorie diet.
(D) Obesity has declined among people who
have consistently used low-calorie,
alternative sweeteners.
(E) The rise in the consumption of low-calorie,
alternative sweeteners is primarily due to
an increase in the number of users rather
than an increase in the amount each user
consume


IMO D)

The main argument is that sweetners have not affected obesity. However if D) is true then this argument is weakened.

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-obese [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 10:01
sumproduct wrote:
Long time lurker...couldn't help but start answering.

IMO (D)

The assumption is that the impact on the general population can be applied to the specific group (sweetener consumers).

(D) directly contradicts. Consumers of sweetener actually are losing weight, (an effective weight loss aid), and those that don't have an increasing obesity rate


what about (A) ??
whenever we want to go for an option weakening the argument we either need to contradict the argument or need to show that some other premise let to conclution!! A Vs D
D uses consistent consumption !!!so i got muddled up !can u explain the same
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 429

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-obese [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 10:06
spriya wrote:
sumproduct wrote:
Long time lurker...couldn't help but start answering.

IMO (D)

The assumption is that the impact on the general population can be applied to the specific group (sweetener consumers).

(D) directly contradicts. Consumers of sweetener actually are losing weight, (an effective weight loss aid), and those that don't have an increasing obesity rate


what about (A) ??
whenever we want to go for an option weakening the argument we either need to contradict the argument or need to show that some other premise let to conclution!! A Vs D
D uses consistent consumption !!!so i got muddled up !can u explain the same


A) does weaken argument as well.

However if you consider the main point it says that sweetners do not help reducing obesity. D) directly contradicts this and therefore much better than A).

You should always list choice which directly contradicts.

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1374

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-obese [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 10:11
nmohindru wrote:
spriya wrote:
sumproduct wrote:
Long time lurker...couldn't help but start answering.

IMO (D)

The assumption is that the impact on the general population can be applied to the specific group (sweetener consumers).

(D) directly contradicts. Consumers of sweetener actually are losing weight, (an effective weight loss aid), and those that don't have an increasing obesity rate


what about (A) ??
whenever we want to go for an option weakening the argument we either need to contradict the argument or need to show that some other premise let to conclution!! A Vs D
D uses consistent consumption !!!so i got muddled up !can u explain the same


A) does weaken argument as well.

However if you consider the main point it says that sweetners do not help reducing obesity. D) directly contradicts this and therefore much better than A).

You should always list choice which directly contradicts.

Ok that ways !! good explanation !!

Thanks for clearing my doubts !!
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-obese   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2008, 10:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

CR-obese

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.