Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
Re: CR Television [#permalink]
i wud have gone for A as well i.e only 1 ... but it seems that 2 might make some sense here esp because of "attention span has been shortened "...

3 is totally out of scope (as we are talking about the effects of television on political campaign )
so C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Send PM
2 premises
Because of shortened television trained attention spans, candidates must use 30-60sec slogans
Because television costly, candidates spent most of the time fundraising, rather then addressing issues

Conclusion
Preeminence of TV in modern campaigns has produced several deleterious effects to democratic system

This sounds like an inference question so we have to derive an answer from the info provided

I and II are provided in the premises

C for me
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Send PM
I believe we will find that the OA is A. The passage says that TV causes viewers to have a short attention span, but it does NOT relate this to whether they can absorb "complex" ideas. In fact, it never even says that today's political issues are complex. All that it says in relation to attention span is that this short attention span does not allow politicians to EXPRESS anything but "mere slogans embellished with emotionally evocative imagery". It doesn't say whether or not the viewers CAN absorb complex ideas if they choose to be less impatient.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
Okay.
I is definitely in and III is definitely out. At first I chose C (which is an OA), but... II says influence of television on the ability of viewers to absorb complex ideas, lets refer back to the stem because the attention span of television-trained audience has been artificially shortened, etc. .
Who said that viewer can not absorb complex ideas presented in a short summary, which fits in the viewer's "attention span". Ability to absorb complex ideas depends more one one's mental capacity, than on the lengh of presentation. One lacking common sense can wach c-span all day long and still won't get it. Moreover, if presentation is concise and clear viewers will absorb it. Timing is secondary.
I thought that C was a trap.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [0]
Send PM
E should be the correct answer. The last line says "...rather than delving deep into the issues.....". This means, today's issues are complex that cannot be encapsulated in a 30-60 second summaries. Also, since the audience has developed "short attention span", it will be difficult to provide complex ideas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
scthakur wrote:
E should be the correct answer. The last line says "...rather than delving deep into the issues.....". This means, today's issues are complex that cannot be encapsulated in a 30-60 second summaries. Also, since the audience has developed "short attention span", it will be difficult to provide complex ideas.

IMO, delving deep into the issues means going into more detail. I don't believe that more detail is the same as "complex issues".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 581 [0]
Concentration: MC, PE, VC
 Q50  V37
Send PM
somerandomguy wrote:
scthakur wrote:

IMO, delving deep into the issues means going into more detail. I don't believe that more detail is the same as "complex issues".

Exactly.

>>Because the attention span of television-trained audiences has been >> artificially shortened
clearly implies (II) is true

I think C should be the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
"attention span of television-trained audiences has been artificially shortened"- Will go with (C).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Can anyone comment on this?

linau1982 wrote:
Okay.
I is definitely in and III is definitely out. At first I chose C (which is an OA), but... II says influence of television on the ability of viewers to absorb complex ideas, lets refer back to the stem because the attention span of television-trained audience has been artificially shortened, etc. .
Who said that viewer can not absorb complex ideas presented in a short summary, which fits in the viewer's "attention span". Ability to absorb complex ideas depends more one one's mental capacity, than on the lengh of presentation. One lacking common sense can wach c-span all day long and still won't get it. Moreover, if presentation is concise and clear viewers will absorb it. Timing is secondary.
I thought that C was a trap.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts