It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 01:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR Television

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

CR Television [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2008, 14:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

I was torn between the answer I chose and OA and I disagree with OA... I'll post it once I get some posts
Thanks
Attachment:
CR television.jpg
CR television.jpg [ 64.42 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Television [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2008, 15:13
good cuestion.

IMO E

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2008, 15:17
C

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2008, 16:08
i wud have gone for A as well i.e only 1 ... but it seems that 2 might make some sense here esp because of "attention span has been shortened "...

3 is totally out of scope (as we are talking about the effects of television on political campaign )
so C

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2008, 16:09
2 premises
Because of shortened television trained attention spans, candidates must use 30-60sec slogans
Because television costly, candidates spent most of the time fundraising, rather then addressing issues

Conclusion
Preeminence of TV in modern campaigns has produced several deleterious effects to democratic system

This sounds like an inference question so we have to derive an answer from the info provided

I and II are provided in the premises

C for me

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2008, 16:44
I believe we will find that the OA is A. The passage says that TV causes viewers to have a short attention span, but it does NOT relate this to whether they can absorb "complex" ideas. In fact, it never even says that today's political issues are complex. All that it says in relation to attention span is that this short attention span does not allow politicians to EXPRESS anything but "mere slogans embellished with emotionally evocative imagery". It doesn't say whether or not the viewers CAN absorb complex ideas if they choose to be less impatient.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2008, 16:56
Okay.
I is definitely in and III is definitely out. At first I chose C (which is an OA), but... II says influence of television on the ability of viewers to absorb complex ideas, lets refer back to the stem because the attention span of television-trained audience has been artificially shortened, etc. .
Who said that viewer can not absorb complex ideas presented in a short summary, which fits in the viewer's "attention span". Ability to absorb complex ideas depends more one one's mental capacity, than on the lengh of presentation. One lacking common sense can wach c-span all day long and still won't get it. Moreover, if presentation is concise and clear viewers will absorb it. Timing is secondary.
I thought that C was a trap.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2008, 00:36
E should be the correct answer. The last line says "...rather than delving deep into the issues.....". This means, today's issues are complex that cannot be encapsulated in a 30-60 second summaries. Also, since the audience has developed "short attention span", it will be difficult to provide complex ideas.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2008, 01:00
scthakur wrote:
E should be the correct answer. The last line says "...rather than delving deep into the issues.....". This means, today's issues are complex that cannot be encapsulated in a 30-60 second summaries. Also, since the audience has developed "short attention span", it will be difficult to provide complex ideas.

IMO, delving deep into the issues means going into more detail. I don't believe that more detail is the same as "complex issues".

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2008, 01:48
somerandomguy wrote:
scthakur wrote:

IMO, delving deep into the issues means going into more detail. I don't believe that more detail is the same as "complex issues".

Exactly.

>>Because the attention span of television-trained audiences has been >> artificially shortened
clearly implies (II) is true

I think C should be the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2008, 04:52
"attention span of television-trained audiences has been artificially shortened"- Will go with (C).

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 14:52
Can anyone comment on this?

linau1982 wrote:
Okay.
I is definitely in and III is definitely out. At first I chose C (which is an OA), but... II says influence of television on the ability of viewers to absorb complex ideas, lets refer back to the stem because the attention span of television-trained audience has been artificially shortened, etc. .
Who said that viewer can not absorb complex ideas presented in a short summary, which fits in the viewer's "attention span". Ability to absorb complex ideas depends more one one's mental capacity, than on the lengh of presentation. One lacking common sense can wach c-span all day long and still won't get it. Moreover, if presentation is concise and clear viewers will absorb it. Timing is secondary.
I thought that C was a trap.

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 5

Re: CR Television   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2008, 14:52

CR Television

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap