It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 13:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Crashed on 580 (V25, Q44)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 637 [1], given: 6

Crashed on 580 (V25, Q44) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 04:29
This post received
KUDOS
After a lengthy and discreet preparation of six months, yesterday was my D-day for GMAT battle. Completely distressed though still hope for a high score, I have scored a humiliated 580 with V 25 and Q 44. This is the first time I got such a low score in quant. In my two previous attempts of GMAT I struggled with verbal (17 in both) though quant scores were pretty decent (47 and 48) though not excellent. Yesterday I shelled my third attempt and regrettably failed to secure upper 600. Strange news is I did not feel too much ashamed after getting a rocking 580 on screen but I felt that I have improved my verbal score at some par and again my journey will start for the rest.
Preparation consisted with OG10 and OG11 mainly. I have exhausted almost both the OGs and GMATPrep and even I can do 96% problems from both the OG correctly (yes I know why other choices are wrong). This time I need to think whether I will continue with same OG problems or go for new resources? In another thought I am planning to give a break for 3-4 months so that I can start practicing with OG again. Anybody has idea about the OG Supplements? Any suggestions are most welcome.
This time I am planning to apply at least few colleges with my current score and continue with preparation for next and probably the last attempt. I am planning for US colleges mostly. Can anybody provide information on average or good colleges that have average score within 580 and 630?
Thanks to all members.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Crashed on 580 (V25, Q44) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 17:21
If you are looking to improve your Quant score to around 48-49. I'd suggest you to get Manhattan Quant guides, drive your concepts and give their practice tests and question banks. It is so important to learn from your mistakes as you give your practice tests. Make flash cards and revisit them periodically. Also use GmatClub challenges for additional practice. The difficulty level of OG supplements is pretty much the same as that of OG11. Just relying on OG and its supplements for your situation doesn't seem to be of great use.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks rakesh22, that's a wonderful suggestion. DO you know how far supplements imitate questions from OGs?

I am thinking whether I can use GMATchallange because lot of people suggested that so far and looking for good Verbal challenges too. Anybody has idea about Powerscore GMAT CR bible? I am still struggling with Inference and Evaluate type question. If Powerscore is good stuff for CR, I will probably opt for that.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1062 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 07:12
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Thanks rakesh22, that's a wonderful suggestion. DO you know how far supplements imitate questions from OGs?

I am thinking whether I can use GMATchallange because lot of people suggested that so far and looking for good Verbal challenges too. Anybody has idea about Powerscore GMAT CR bible? I am still struggling with Inference and Evaluate type question. If Powerscore is good stuff for CR, I will probably opt for that.

Power Score is .. great book for CR...go for it .

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks suresh. Which one is good - LSAT CR guide or GMAT CR guide?

Just a weird question: is there any auspicious effect on test centers? I mean people tend to get high scores from few test centers and do not from few others. I have observed that people in different forum scored in higher 600 zone or in lower 700 zone and told that they hard of few people who had secured 750+ within past few weeks from the same center.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 10:48

Just a weird question: is there any auspicious effect on test centers? I mean people tend to get high scores from few test centers and do not from few others. I have observed that people in different forum scored in higher 600 zone or in lower 700 zone and told that they hard of few people who had secured 750+ within past few weeks from the same center.

I believe both have same contents..... It doesn't matter
Buy GMAT CR ..unless you already have LSAT CR guide..

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 12:10

bOTH ARE THE SAME...In almost all the places, lsat is replaced with GMAT. in other places, where there is significant change is the format of the gmat , time strategy etc etc,. so any one of them is ok.

Dont get bogged down by all such things as auspicious and all that . DONT LOSE FOCUS. its all in your head. Just pray to god, put in your best , and leave the rest to fate.

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 20:29
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you arjtryarjtry. I went through your "tryst with destiny" and that's great.

Today I was comparing my scaled score and Percentile with my previous attempt on May 2008; I have found that percentile in both verbal and quant had deduced 1-2 percentile within 5-6 months span!! My quant score is 44 that was 72 percentile and now it is 70 percentile whereas verbal score at 25 was 37 percentile and now it is 36 %tile and therefore the total score is affected too. It means in coming days either applicant has to secure 730-750(+) or Pearson has to make questions trickier. Still I doubt that how the scoring algorithm system considers pool of examinees and probable scores? Do it accounts for all the examinee for last 5 years or just go with a 365 days span?

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2008, 21:23
This post received
KUDOS
I have just received my AWA score. It is 5.5 (80 %tile). Score has been increased from my last attempt 4.5. Anyway I am targetting for more effort on CR and RC now.

Re: Crashed on 580 (V25, Q44)   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2008, 21:23

Crashed on 580 (V25, Q44)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap