GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CRITICAL REASONING (ASSUMPTION)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CRITICAL REASONING (ASSUMPTION) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 17:50
QUES: Inorganic pesticides remain active on the surfaces of fruits and vegetables for several days after
spraying, while organic pesticides dissipate within a few hours after application, leaving the
surface of the sprayed produce free of pesticide residue. Therefore, when purchasing from a
farm that uses inorganic pesticides, one must be careful to wash the produce thoroughly before
eating it to prevent the ingestion of toxins. But one need not worry about ingesting pesticides
when purchasing from farms that use only organic pesticides. The argument above assumes that
• Consumers are aware of the origins of the produce they purchase.
• Produce from farms that use organic pesticides reaches the consumer within hours after it is
picked or harvested.
• No farm uses both organic and inorganic pesticides.
• No pesticide is capable of penetrating the skin of a fruit or vegetable.
• The use of either type of pesticide does not increase the cost of produce.

The answer is D. Though C seems correct, why is A incorrect? my explanation:if consumers are not aware of the origins how would they choose organic/inorganic
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
CRITICAL REASONING (ASSUMPTION) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 18:09
Hello,

Welcome to the GMAT Club. Please search the forum before posting a question. You can post your questions directly in the thread.

The question that you posted has been discussed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/inorganic-pe ... 98929.html

Quote:
The answer is D. Though C seems correct, why is A incorrect? my explanation:if consumers are not aware of the origins how would they choose organic/inorganic.

Choice A says that consumers are not aware of the origins of the produce. --> The origins of the produce has nothing to do with organic or inorganic use of pesticides and pesticides consumption. So if you read the conclusion: "Therefore, when purchasing from a farm that uses inorganic pesticides, one must be careful to wash the produce thoroughly before eating it to prevent the ingestion of toxins. But one need not worry about ingesting pesticides when purchasing from farms that use only organic pesticides." -- Origins of the produce doesn't affect the conclusion. Even if a consumer doesn't know the origin, he/she can still ingest the pesticides that are present in produce of an inorganic farm. This is NOT a valid assumption. It's IRRELEVANT.

If you negate choice D - Some pesticides are capable of penetrating the skin of a fruit or vegetable. - this breaks our conclusion, because now whether the pesticide was organic or inorganic, it doesn't matter. Because in both cases there is a possibility that the pesticide will penetrate into the skin, and thus one will be exposed to pesticides even if they are eating from an organic farm.

Hope this helps!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Intern
Intern
B
Re: CRITICAL REASONING (ASSUMPTION) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 18:18
Thanks alot! Yeah D seemed quite obvious but I just wanted to confirm why A isn't the answer. And is this a 500/600/700 level question in your opinion?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: CRITICAL REASONING (ASSUMPTION) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 18:25
yashmehta27101995 wrote:
Thanks alot! Yeah D seemed quite obvious but I just wanted to confirm why A isn't the answer. And is this a 500/600/700 level question in your opinion?

Posted from my mobile device

Sure. I would say this is a 650-700 level.

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Re: CRITICAL REASONING (ASSUMPTION)   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2018, 18:25

CRITICAL REASONING (ASSUMPTION)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap