GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 21:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

D01-10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 600 Q50 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.4
Re: D01-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 06:51
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

(1) \(\frac{1}{x} \gt - 1\). Rewrite as \(\frac{1+x}{x} \gt 0\), two cases:

A. \(x \gt 0\) and \(1+x \gt 0\), (\(x \gt -1\)). So, \(x \gt 0\);

B. \(x \lt 0\) and \(1+x \lt 0\), (\(x \lt -1\)). So, \(x \lt -1\).

So, the given inequality holds true in two ranges: \(x \gt 0\) and \(x \lt -1\), thus \(x\) may or may not be greater than 1. Not sufficient.

(2) \(\frac{1}{x^5} \gt \frac{1}{x^3}\). Rewrite as \(\frac{1-x^2}{x^5} \gt 0\), two cases:

A. \(x \gt 0\) (it's the same as \(x^5 \gt 0\)) and \(1-x^2 \gt 0\), (\(-1 \lt x \lt 1\)). So, \(0 \lt x \lt 1\);

B. \(x \lt 0\) and \(1-x^2 \lt 0\), (\(x \lt -1\) or \(x \gt 1\)). So, \(x \lt -1\);

We got that given inequality holds true in two ranges: \(0 \lt x \lt 1\) and \(x \lt -1\), ANY \(x\) from this ranges will be less than 1. So the answer to our original question is NO. Sufficient.

Answer: B

can we use pluggin method to make it easy ?? where can we use and where we cannot depend on pluggin method ?

success is the best revenge

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 04:28
(1) 1x>−11x>−1. Rewrite as 1+xx>01+xx>0, two cases:

A. x>0x>0 and 1+x>01+x>0, (x>−1x>−1). So, x>0x>0;

B. x<0x<0 and 1+x<01+x<0, (x<−1x<−1). So, x<−1x<−1.

How can we distribute the numerator and denominator.Is it okay to do it?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Operations

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 20:17
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

I don't understand this. Is there a rule or something that says when a/b > 0 then a>0 and b>0?
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 02:06
joondez wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

I don't understand this. Is there a rule or something that says when a/b > 0 then a>0 and b>0?

Yes. a/b to be positive a and b must have the same sign, so both must be positive or both must be negative.

You should brush-up fundamentals before attempting questions, especially hard ones.

Inequalities Made Easy!

Solving Quadratic Inequalities - Graphic Approach
Inequality tips
Wavy Line Method Application - Complex Algebraic Inequalities

DS Inequalities Problems
PS Inequalities Problems

700+ Inequalities problems

http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-trick-91482.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/data-suff-ine ... 09078.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/range-for-var ... 09468.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-is ... 08884.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/graphic-appro ... 68037.html

Hope this helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Operations

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 07:09
Bunuel wrote:
joondez wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Yes. a/b to be positive a and b must have the same sign, so both must be positive or both must be negative.

You should brush-up fundamentals before attempting questions, especially hard ones.

Inequalities Made Easy!

Solving Quadratic Inequalities - Graphic Approach
Inequality tips
Wavy Line Method Application - Complex Algebraic Inequalities

DS Inequalities Problems
PS Inequalities Problems

700+ Inequalities problems

http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-trick-91482.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/data-suff-ine ... 09078.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/range-for-var ... 09468.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-is ... 08884.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/graphic-appro ... 68037.html

Hope this helps.

Oh ok. I actually already knew that, I just have never seen it written like that in inequality form and could not make the connect. I read all the quant manhattan books already
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 22:45
Hi Bunuel,
How did you write 1/x-1>0 as x+1/x without knowing the sign of x?
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 06:31
supra2411 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
How did you write 1/x-1>0 as x+1/x without knowing the sign of x?

We are concerned about the sign when we are multiplying/dividing an inequality by a variable. Here we are simply re-arranging the inequality:

\(\frac{1}{x} \gt - 1\).

\(\frac{1}{x} +1\gt 0\).

\(\frac{1+x}{x} \gt 0\).

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

DS Forum Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 11:31
pratyushk1 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Can you please explain S1 (case 1). 1+x>0 and x>0. So it should be x>-1 and x>0. How have you written x>0 after that.

Hi

Let me try. You have written 1+x>0 and x>0 from Bunuel's first explanation to this question.
you are correct that 1+x > 0 translates to x > -1. And we already have x > 0.

So when we are given that x>-1 and x>0 (these are Two different ranges of x given) we have to figure out the common range - that will be our final range for x.

You see x>-1 includes all numbers greater than -1 till infinity. So this means -1<x<0 and 0<x<infinity
But when we say x>0 it includes all numbers from o to infinity. So this means 0<x<infinity

So if you look at both the ranges above.. which range is common between both? Its 0<x<infinity.. So when we say that x>-1 and x>0, then our conclusion is that x>0 (because that is the only range which is common to both the above ranges)..

I think thats why Bunuel wrote (in his very first explanation to this question) that x>0

(You can also think of it this way: Say your boss tells you that you will receive your salary after 10th June and your Super Boss tells you that you will receive your salary after 12th June.. and if you know that both these statements are true - then the only conclusion which can be drawn from these is that your salary will come only after 12th June..from 10th to 12th June is NOT possible.)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Economics, Marketing
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 18:51
Iit possible to do this?

\(\frac{1}{x^5} > \frac{1}{x^3}\)become

\(x^3\)>\(x^5\) then \(x^3\)-\(x^5\)>0 then \(x^3\)(1-\(x^2\))>0
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 19:58
Hey, is this approach right:

Just for a:

1/x > -1 ,

if x > 0 ,

a) multiply both sides by x

x(1/x) > x(-1)

1 > -x

b) Divide by -1 and flip signs,

-1 < x

if x < 0
a) multiply both sides by x and flip signs cos x is negative

1 < -x

b) divide by -1 and flip signs

-1 > x

Same answer as with your process. Not sure if it is right though
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 21:17
jjacosta37 wrote:
Hey, is this approach right:

Just for a:

1/x > -1 ,

if x > 0 ,

a) multiply both sides by x

x(1/x) > x(-1)

1 > -x

b) Divide by -1 and flip signs,

-1 < x

if x < 0
a) multiply both sides by x and flip signs cos x is negative

1 < -x

b) divide by -1 and flip signs

-1 > x

Same answer as with your process. Not sure if it is right though

1/x > -1:

1. If x > 0, then x > -1 but since we are considering the range when x > 0, then x > 0.

2. If x < 0, then x < -1.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 08:21
Hey Bunuel, Nice question, appreciate all your help. Why exactly do we rewrite statement 1 as Rewrite as [1+x][/x]=0?

Thanks.

I'd love to hear any feedback or ways to improve my problem solving. I make a lot of silly mistakes. If you've had luck improving on stupid mistakes, I'd love to hear how you did it.

Also, I appreciate any kudos.

Intern
Intern
B
Re D01-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 04:57
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. In the case of option one. whithout solving it, by just considering the inequality, by taking inverse cant we write that x<-1?
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 05:40
HarshineV wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. In the case of option one. whithout solving it, by just considering the inequality, by taking inverse cant we write that x<-1?

The solutions HERE clearly show TWO possible cases for (1). Then again HERE it's explained why your way is NOT correct. This is further elaborated HERE and HERE and yet again HERE. And finally, the links to the theory which explains inequalities in detail is given HERE.

Still more:

9. Inequalities

For more check Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 00:04
I think when attempting these kind of inequality questions in timed condition in tests .

We need to figure out an easier approach and the one I could think of apart from Bunnels excellent solution was:

Imagine a number line and divide it into -1,0 and 1

And now we need to look into the statements and start plugging values just as we do for inuquality.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.41
WE: Business Development (Accounting)
Reviews Badge
Re D01-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 16:22
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I think its extremely important that explanations are student friendly, the explanations by expert Bunnel are amazing but often it feels likes those explanations assume that students have all the knowledge. We dont. The jargon of variables without some explanation can leave big gaps to fill. For this question, i felt explanation could have been MUCH MUCH easier.
Take it as constructive critique.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.41
WE: Business Development (Accounting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 16:39
Statement 1)
\(\frac{1}{x}\)\(>-1\)

\(\frac{1}{x + 1}\) \(>0\)

\(\frac{(1+x)}{x}\) \(>0\)

Now if \(x=2\) , then statement 2 becomes \(\frac{(1 + 2)}{2}\) \(= 3/2\)which is greater 1
But if\(x=1/2\) then statement 2 becomes \(\frac{1.5}{.5}\)\(>0\) ( which is true) but less than 1

Therefore statement 1 is insufficient.

Statement 2) \(\frac{1}{x^5}\)> \(\frac{1}{x^3}\)

\(\frac{1}{x^5}\) - \(\frac{1}{x^3}\) >0

\(\frac{(x^3 -x^5)}{x^5x^3}\) \(>0\)

\(\frac{x^3[1-x^2]}{x^5x^3}\) \(>0\)

\(\frac{(1 - x^2)}{x^5}\)\(>0\)

Now Only way expression above is \(>0\) when \(x^2\)is <1 therefore \(-1< x < 1\)
Which answers the question \(x>1\) ? as NO. Hence Statement 2 is sufficient.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V
D01-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 00:44
mtk10 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I think its extremely important that explanations are student friendly, the explanations by expert Bunnel are amazing but often it feels likes those explanations assume that students have all the knowledge. We dont. The jargon of variables without some explanation can leave big gaps to fill. For this question, i felt explanation could have been MUCH MUCH easier.
Take it as constructive critique.

Dear friend,

It's assumed that a student is not attempting questions, especially harder ones, and especially GMAT Club's hard questions, if the fundamentals are not clear. Solution for this particular questions includes all necessary steps and cannot possibly include underline theory. Still, if the solution is not clear you can always ask specific questions (will be glad to assist) and/or read the whole thread, often there you can find missing gaps.

9. Inequalities

For more check Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
Re D01-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 04:50
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Hi,
How did we go from (x+1)/x>0 to x+1>0 because we cant multiply both sides by x as we dont know whether x is positive or negative.
Best Regards.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 05:06
Furqan90 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Hi,
How did we go from (x+1)/x>0 to x+1>0 because we cant multiply both sides by x as we dont know whether x is positive or negative.
Best Regards.

For \(\frac{1+x}{x} \gt 0\) we should consider two cases:

Case A - both numerator and denominator are positive: \(x \gt 0\) and \(1+x \gt 0\), (\(x \gt -1\)). So, \(x \gt 0\);

Case B - both numerator and denominator are negative: \(x \lt 0\) and \(1+x \lt 0\), (\(x \lt -1\)). So, \(x \lt -1\).

So, the given inequality holds true in two ranges: \(x \gt 0\) and \(x \lt -1\), thus \(x\) may or may not be greater than 1. Not sufficient.

Can you please tell me which step is unclear?

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: D01-10   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2018, 05:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 43 posts ] 

D01-10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap