GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

D01-10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
D01-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

61% (01:22) correct 39% (01:16) wrong based on 269 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Math Expert
V
Re D01-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:11
Official Solution:

(1) \(\frac{1}{x} \gt - 1\). Rewrite as \(\frac{1+x}{x} \gt 0\), two cases:

A. \(x \gt 0\) and \(1+x \gt 0\), (\(x \gt -1\)). So, \(x \gt 0\);

B. \(x \lt 0\) and \(1+x \lt 0\), (\(x \lt -1\)). So, \(x \lt -1\).

So, the given inequality holds true in two ranges: \(x \gt 0\) and \(x \lt -1\), thus \(x\) may or may not be greater than 1. Not sufficient.

(2) \(\frac{1}{x^5} \gt \frac{1}{x^3}\). Rewrite as \(\frac{1-x^2}{x^5} \gt 0\), two cases:

A. \(x \gt 0\) (it's the same as \(x^5 \gt 0\)) and \(1-x^2 \gt 0\), (\(-1 \lt x \lt 1\)). So, \(0 \lt x \lt 1\);

B. \(x \lt 0\) and \(1-x^2 \lt 0\), (\(x \lt -1\) or \(x \gt 1\)). So, \(x \lt -1\);

We got that given inequality holds true in two ranges: \(0 \lt x \lt 1\) and \(x \lt -1\), ANY \(x\) from this ranges will be less than 1. So the answer to our original question is NO. Sufficient.

Answer: B

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
Re: D01-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 18:48
Hi Bunuel,
I appreciate your answer, but the method looks bit clumsy to me.
I solved it in simpler way, please guide me whether my approach is correct.

1) 1/x > -1. It means 1 > -x
That is x > -1 .
So we are not sure that if the x is greater than 1. So it is insufficient.
2) 1/x^5 > 1/x^3. It means 1/x^2 > 1 .
That is x^2 < 1.
If x^2 is less than 1, that definitely implies x is less than 1. So it is sufficient.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 05-23-2015
GPA: 3.45
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 22:36
Is x greater than 1?

(1) 1/x > -1

(2) (1/x)^5 >(1/x)^3

Alternate solution (Substituting numbers)
>> !!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 05:01
amitjathar wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
I appreciate your answer, but the method looks bit clumsy to me.
I solved it in simpler way, please guide me whether my approach is correct.

1) 1/x > -1. It means 1 > -x
That is x > -1 .
So we are not sure that if the x is greater than 1. So it is insufficient.
2) 1/x^5 > 1/x^3. It means 1/x^2 > 1 .
That is x^2 < 1.
If x^2 is less than 1, that definitely implies x is less than 1. So it is sufficient.

No, that's not correct.

You cannot multiply 1/x > -1 by x because you don't know the sign of x. If x is positive then yes, 1 > -x but if x is negative, then when multiplying by it you should flip the sign and you get 1 < -x.

Similarly you cannot reduce 1/x^5 > 1/x^3 by 1/x^3, because you don't know its sign.

Never multiply (or reduce) an inequality by a variable (or the expression with a variable) if you don't know its sign.

Other tips on Inequalities are here: inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

MBA Blogger
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 01:33
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Is x greater than 1?

So, the given inequality holds true in two ranges: \(x \gt 0\) and \(x \lt -1\), thus \(x\) may or may not be greater than 1. Not sufficient.

(2) \(\frac{1}{x^5} \gt \frac{1}{x^3}\). Rewrite as \(\frac{1-x^2}{x^5} \gt 0\), two cases:

A. \(x \gt 0\) (it's the same as \(x^5 \gt 0\)) and \(1-x^2 \gt 0\), (\(-1 \lt x \lt 1\)). So, \(0 \lt x \lt 1\);

B. \(x \lt 0\) and \(1-x^2 \lt 0\), (\(x \lt -1\) or \(x \gt 1\)). So, \(x \lt -1\);

We got that given inequality holds true in two ranges: \(0 \lt x \lt 1\) and \(x \lt -1\), ANY \(x\) from this ranges will be less than 1. So the answer to our original question is NO. Sufficient.

Hi Bunuel,
I did it like this:
Stmt1: \(\frac{1}{x} >-1\)
To make left side between -1 and 0, x must be negative.
To make left side greater than 0, x must be positive.
Not sufficient.

Stmt2: \(\frac{1}{x^5} > \frac{1}{x^3}\)
Multiply both sides by \(x^2\) => \(\frac{1}{x^3} >\frac{1}{x}\)
Now: \(\frac{1}{x^3} >\frac{1}{x}\)is true only if x<1
Sufficient.
Answer B.

Tell me if I did something wrong.

KUDOS please!! If it helped. :)
Warm Regards.
Visit My Blog

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 06:27
scofield1521 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Is x greater than 1?

Hi Bunuel,
I did it like this:
Not sufficient.

Sufficient.
Answer B.

Do the ranges you got match the ranges from my solution?

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

MBA Blogger
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 06:47
Bunuel wrote:
scofield1521 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Is x greater than 1?

Hi Bunuel,
I did it like this:
Not sufficient.

Sufficient.
Answer B.

Yes I did try with some examples. I believe they are true.
For stmt 1: x= -.5, x= 1;
For stmt 2: x= 0.9, x= 1.1.

Warm Regards.
Visit My Blog

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 07:07
scofield1521 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
scofield1521 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
I did it like this:
Not sufficient.

Sufficient.
Answer B.

Yes I did try with some examples. I believe they are true.
For stmt 1: x= -.5, x= 1;
For stmt 2: x= 0.9, x= 1.1.

\(\frac{1}{x} \gt - 1\) holds true for two ranges: \(x \gt 0\) and \(x \lt -1\). You got x>0 and x<0.

\(\frac{1}{x^5} \gt \frac{1}{x^3}\) holds true for two ranges: \(0 \lt x \lt 1\) and \(x \lt -1\) you got x<1.

How do they match???

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

MBA Blogger
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2014, 03:55
Bunuel wrote:

\(\frac{1}{x} \gt - 1\) holds true for two ranges: \(x \gt 0\) and \(x \lt -1\). You got x>0 and x<0.

\(\frac{1}{x^5} \gt \frac{1}{x^3}\) holds true for two ranges: \(0 \lt x \lt 1\) and \(x \lt -1\) you got x<1.

How do they match???

After taking more examples into consideration:

Stmt 1: Range: \(x \gt 0\) and \(x \lt -1\).
Eg:
If x=-0.5 Stmt is true and x is not greater than 1.
If x=2 Stmt still holds true but is greater than 1.
Not sufficient.

Stmt 2: Range: \(0 \lt x \lt 1\) and \(x \lt -1\)
Eg:
If x=0.5 Stmt is true and x is not greater than 1.
If x= 1.1 Stmt is false and x must not be greater than 1.
If x=-2 Stmt is true and x must be less than -1.
If x=-0.5 Statement is false and x must be less than -1.

These satisfy the range you have mentioned. I hope these are correct.

Warm Regards.
Visit My Blog

Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 13:00
Hi Bunuel.

I am not able to understand how to arrive at the bold part:

B. x<0 and 1−x2<0, (x<−1 or x>1). So, x<−1;

Can you please explain
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 02:43
Randude wrote:
Hi Bunuel.

I am not able to understand how to arrive at the bold part:

B. x<0 and 1−x2<0, (x<−1 or x>1). So, x<−1;

Can you please explain

1 - x^2 < 0 --> x^2 > 1 --> x < -1 or x > 1. Since we are also considering x < 0, then the intersection of these ranges gives x < -1.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 11:33
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Can you explain how did you arrive at (2) \(\frac{1}{x^5} \gt \frac{1}{x^3}\). Rewrite as \(\frac{1-x^2}{x^5} \gt 0\),

Kindly support by giving Kudos, if my post helped you!

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 05:03
harishbiyani8888 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Can you explain how did you arrive at (2) \(\frac{1}{x^5} \gt \frac{1}{x^3}\). Rewrite as \(\frac{1-x^2}{x^5} \gt 0\),

\(\frac{1}{x^5} \gt \frac{1}{x^3}\);

\(\frac{1}{x^5} - \frac{1}{x^3} \gt 0\);

\(\frac{1}{x^5} - \frac{x^2}{x^5} \gt 0\);

\(\frac{1-x^2}{x^5} \gt 0\).

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 07:31
arunspanda wrote:
Is x greater than 1?

(1) 1/x > -1

(2) (1/x)^5 >(1/x)^3

Alternate solution (Substituting numbers)

Solving this way consumes more time. We need to pick right numbers. And if we miss any of it, we dont get correct values.

Using inequality wavy curve method you can solve much early in a generic way [ w/o picking the numbers ]

Please search for wavy curve method in this forum or in google.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
D01-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 11:11
it is obvious for many people, but important to remember

x>0 and x<0, since x≠0

cannot be divided by 0
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 05:39
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Hi Bunuel,

I don’t understand why after getting x > -1 we are writing so x > o
Even in 2nd statement
-1< x <1 is re written as 0< x <1

Please explain this in both cases; A of statement 1 and in A of Statement 2

Thanks
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re D01-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2016, 20:53
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Can you please explain S1 (case 1). 1+x>0 and x>0. So it should be x>-1 and x>0. How have you written x>0 after that.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 01:25
pratyushk1 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Can you please explain S1 (case 1). 1+x>0 and x>0. So it should be x>-1 and x>0. How have you written x>0 after that.

Can you please tell me what does it even mean x > -1 and x > 0?

Please check the links below to study how to derive the ranges for inequalities:

Inequalities Made Easy!

Solving Quadratic Inequalities - Graphic Approach
Inequality tips
Wavy Line Method Application - Complex Algebraic Inequalities

DS Inequalities Problems
PS Inequalities Problems

700+ Inequalities problems

inequalities-trick-91482.html
data-suff-inequalities-109078.html
range-for-variable-x-in-a-given-inequality-109468.html
everything-is-less-than-zero-108884.html
graphic-approach-to-problems-with-inequalities-68037.html

Hope this helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge
Re D01-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 12:49
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Re D01-10 &nbs [#permalink] 09 Jan 2017, 12:49

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

D01-10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap