Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
GHIBI wrote:
No news for me. No phone call. No website update.

My status is "Pending for Alumni Interview" still. I don't know why. I had an alumni interview on Mar-9.
:? :?:
ghibi!

Call the school and ask them about that. Sounds wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats Pelihu, that's great news.

I'll be curious which school you end up choosing. Darden and Fuqua are obviously both great schools, but I think if I were on the fence between the two, the very-far-away-from-an-airport factor would push me away from Darden.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Woohoo, I made it at Darden. Website updated right after 12AM EST. I'll be back to post some more details. A little basketball to watch, and a little celebrating to do first.

Congrats Pelihu! You will certainly make a fine addition at whichever program you choose to attend. For personal reasons however, I am still hoping that you stay in the Bay Area so we can kick your butt at next spring's C4C competition!. :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
GHIBI, you should give them a call. In my experience, Darden has been very helpful and receptive to contact. I had a similar issue with Michigan, and without my knowledge my app got pushed to the follow round - which essentially drops them from my consideration because I can't bear waiting any more.

Jay, Died, thanks a lot. I'm pretty excited to get in.

Johnny, actually I have considered exactly that issue very carefully. Here's how it breaks down for someone like me interested in returning to the Bay Area. The closet airports to Darden are the small local airport, Richmond (1 hour) and Dulles (I drove it in 1:40 on Thursday afternoon during rush hour). The RDU airport is less than an hour from Durham. The key point for me though, is that there are several direct flights each day from the bay area (and Oakland specifically which is about 15 minutes from my house) to Dulles. There are no direct flights to RDU, you have to change planes at least once. Strangely enough, there are at least a 1/2 dozen flights a day from the bay area that reach the Charlottesville airport with 1 change. So, it's actually more efficient to travel to Charlottesville than Durham if you're starting from the bay area. I can get within 5 miles of Charlottesville with 1 stopover, or 1:40 away with a direct flight. With one stopover I can to get about :45-1:00 from Durham. I actually greatly prefer direct flights, which are simply unavailable between the bay area and RDU.

So, I realize that there are other destinations that I might want to go to other than the bay area, and the larger RDU ariport would be an advantage. I would call it a wash between the two places, but from a personal standpoint, Duke does not have much if any advantage in the travel department. People from other locales will probably conclude differently.

Another major factor for me is that I like Charlottesville a lot and I think it would be nice to live there for 2 years. I know a lot of people point out that the RTP area is great for young professionals, and I'm sure that it is. The problem is that I don't believe many students actually live in the RTP. I think most choose to live closer to school, and given the demands of the first year, I would probably live as close as possible. The area surround Duke ranges from almost nothing to do, to kind of dangerous if you move a little further away. Sure, Chapel Hill isn't far away, and there are other nice surrounding areas, but most will probably live in Durham and to be honest is kind of sucks there; according to my interviewer there really isn't anything to do in the immediate area. Living in Charlottesville is preferable to me.

Matt, who knows. Maybe Stanford will show me some last minute love (yeah right) and persuade me to stay. It would be a pleasure to kick your butt next year. I'm sure we will have the opportunity to get together sometime down the road.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2