GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT Club Tests are Free & Open for Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday!

January 21, 2019

January 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open January 21st for celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday.
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

January 22, 2019

January 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.

Debater: The average points scored per game

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Debater: The average points scored per game  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2014, 06:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:54) correct 39% (02:10) wrong based on 299 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Debater: The average points scored per game by a player on the starting roster of the New York Boomerangs is 12 points. Most players of the New York Boomerangs are on the starting roster. Furthermore, the average points scored per game by any player on the team generally does not fluctuate much from game to game. Therefore, each game, most players of the New York Boomerangs almost certainly score at least a few points.

The debater's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on which of these grounds?

(A)It takes for granted that the starting roster is representative of the overall team with regard to the average points scored per player each game.

(B)It takes for granted that if a certain average of points is scored each game by each player of the New York Boomerangs, then approximately the same amount of points must be scored in each game by each player of the starting roster.

(C)It confuses a claim from which the argument's conclusion about the New York Boomerangs would necessarily follow with a claim that would follow from the argument's conclusion only with a high degree of probability.

(D)It overlooks the possibility that even if, on average, a certain amount of points is scored by the members of some group, many members of that group may score no points at all.

(E)It overlooks the possibility that even if most players of the team score some points each game, any one team player may, in some games, score no points.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Debater: The average points scored per game  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2015, 01:58
Can anyone simplify C, D, and E?
I don't even understand what is said in C. D and E look same to me.
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2015, 17:54
b2bt wrote:

I agree that C is a total disaster. It's designed not to be correct but to completely wrap your brain in knots and is quite effective in doing so.

D & E do feel similar, but there are key differences based on some key words that are easily overlooked in the argument.

D is the correct answer and it points out that the argument starts by talking about the average of the group. The argument says that on average the starters score 12 points, but it doesn't say that all starters average 12 points. We could have some much higher than 12, some at 12 and some very near (or at) 0. Therefore the conclusion could be completely invalid because some of our starters may average 0 points per game.

E doesn't really open up additional criticism because the conclusion properly limits itself by saying "most players...almost certainly score...". Saying that some may not score at all in any game doesn't break that conclusion.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2015, 17:57
Responding to a PM here:

There is a question about "a starting roster". A roster is the list of the players on a given team. The starting roster would be the list of the players who are playing at the "start" of the game. The people who are not on the starting roster would be available to come into the game in case of injury or to provide rest to the "starters".

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2015, 22:48
KyleWiddison wrote:
b2bt wrote:

I agree that C is a total disaster. It's designed not to be correct but to completely wrap your brain in knots and is quite effective in doing so.

D & E do feel similar, but there are key differences based on some key words that are easily overlooked in the argument.

D is the correct answer and it points out that the argument starts by talking about the average of the group. The argument says that on average the starters score 12 points, but it doesn't say that all starters average 12 points. We could have some much higher than 12, some at 12 and some very near (or at) 0. Therefore the conclusion could be completely invalid because some of our starters may average 0 points per game.

E doesn't really open up additional criticism because the conclusion properly limits itself by saying "most players...almost certainly score...". Saying that some may not score at all in any game doesn't break that conclusion.

KW

Thanks Kyle, it's much clearer now. D talks about overlooking that many players might not score at all (which weakens the conclusion), and E talks about single player not scoring at all which is not the conclusion as it mentions 'most players'. Great exaplanation!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 04:38
If you want to read more about this "copy" of OG CR question you can read CR question 100 in OG 2015.

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 14:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Debater: The average points scored per game &nbs [#permalink] 31 Dec 2018, 14:57

Debater: The average points scored per game

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap