Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 03:33 It is currently 17 May 2024, 03:33
2.3 years
United States
Male
Score: 730 GMAT Classic
GPA: 3.83
Pre-MBA industry: Computer Software
Post-MBA industry: Other
After three years of consulting for federal government agencies, I'm ready for a career pivot into a leadership role in an international/global focused company.

I plan on retaking the GMAT in September to hopefully improve my 710. I'm most interested in schools that have a global business focus and are preferably are located in cities. Long term I see myself as a Chief International Officer or Lead Supply Chain Manager.
Anderson
Full Time MBA
9 months ago
Round 1
McDonough
Full Time MBA
9 months ago
Round 1
Ross Michigan
Full Time MBA
9 months ago
Round 2
Stern
Full Time MBA
9 months ago
Round 2
Columbia
Full Time MBA
9 months ago
Round 2
Darden
Full Time MBA
9 months ago
Round 2
Fuqua
Full Time MBA
9 months ago
Round 2
Yale
Full Time MBA
9 months ago
Round 2
Comments (4 comments)
08 Aug 2023, 17:48
In terms of having a unique profile, perhaps. What helps quite a bit is having strong brands and company names on the résumé. It helps in recruiting and helps in admissions.
08 Aug 2023, 16:07
Welcome to GMAT Club!

Interesting career move if you’re looking to switching to consumer products. It has not been a very popular field and it has not been a very well paying one either. So in light of the tech in Consulting Airport unities, many people have taken those routes.

Also, many people from software background realize that after an MBA they would actually take a pay cut. Sort of locking them in with golden handcuffs into being in software development… not sure if you’re there financially or not but something to be aware of.

Your background is fairly unique and I think would be appealing to a number of business schools. I’m not sure how strong your profile will be in terms of promotions and work experience but even with this GMAT score you can take a higher aim and if you can improve somewhat, You can definitely go up 5 to 10 ranking points. It is helpful to have a range however in case something doesn’t work out and you can get a sense of what options you have and how your candidacy is perceived by admissions.

PS. I see on the profile you indicated 25 months of work experience and you want to update it to the point of matriculating so it was counted to August 2024.
08 Aug 2023, 17:40
Happy to be here!

I actually couldn't find a selection for future industry that really suited me, so I selected "consumer products" while thinking of supply chain management. If I had to put it in my own words it would be management in a company with an international/global focus.

Also, while I work in software, I'm more of a client-focused consultant/business analyst. I started out of college and in two years I've received a promotion and title change and work on some of the company's most valuable projects.

While my career goals definitely aren't the typical consulting/investment banking, I personally don't find my background unique -- but I'm happy to be wrong! I'm a first generation Indian-American so I would consider myself "somewhat overrepresented." Thank you again for the feedback but I wanted to give more context in case it changes your assessment of my choices of MBA programs.
08 Aug 2023, 17:46
Got ya. It is awesome to have very specific career goals. When I was recruiting years ago out of business school, I was jumping on any job that was loosely a match. 😂 and I had a classmate who was extremely specific. She wanted to work in the sports and entertainment industry to be in the marketing and to be in the quantitative side of marketing. Two weeks later she had an internship offer and I sent 50 resumes that I never heard back about. It helps to be focused - it makes it sound like you’re searching for a ride opportunity rather than desperate for the job and it also allows people to connect you with the right people who may know someone. The key is to explain this well enough to the admissions team and make sure they’re not confused or concerned about your employee ability after graduation… so you want to be well researched in terms of what kind of company you wanna work out or your ideal position and things like that.
08 Aug 2023, 17:48
In terms of having a unique profile, perhaps. What helps quite a bit is having strong brands and company names on the résumé. It helps in recruiting and helps in admissions.