GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 10:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research;

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research;  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 16:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:36) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 12 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research; he constructs a coherent picture of two centuries of studies dealing with the changing roles of women.

A. Degler does more than merely summarizing

B. Deglers study is more than a mere summarizing of

C. Degler has done more than a mere summarizing of

D. Deglers study has done more than summarize merely

E. Degler does more than merely summarize

people , I need good explanation on this one .
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: SC:Summarize Vs summarizing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 16:58
I think the answer is E.

"Summarizig" looks like a verb but is being used as a noun (a.k.a. Gerund), so uing "merely" with it doesn't make any sense. It would make sense if "summarizing" was the acting Degler did. (Degler was merely summarizing the deposition when I called him.)

In E, "summarize" is the direct object. "Degler does"....Degler does what? He does more than merely summarize...

You can have a verb in the direct object. You just have to use it properly. The verb is "summarize". It is often used in the form of the infinitive "to summarize". "He did summarize, He summarized. You can add -ing to it, but it is no longer a verb. It's a gerund...a [VERB + ING] that is ued as a noun. Once this happens the usage is completely changed and the answer choices with "summarizing" do not use it correctly.

"more than merely" is actually functioning as an adverbial phrase. It describes to what extent Degler does summarize.

rpmodi wrote:
Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research; he constructs a coherent picture of two centuries of studies dealing with the changing roles of women.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 17:27
Good one - Stumbled between A and E

Since “he” in the second part of the sentence refers a person, “Deglers study” is illogical to be the subject. Eliminate B and D

Parallel issue: X more than Y where both X and Y are parallel.

A. Degler does more than merely summarizing [[adverb] merely [modifies participle] summarizing [which in turn modifies another participle] existing [which finally modifies noun] research [ this results in a modifying phrase – so [verb] more than [modifying phrase] are not parallel – eliminate it]

C. Degler has done more than a mere summarizing of [ [verb] has done more than [noun]a mere - not parallel – eliminate it]

E. Degler does more than merely summarize [[verb]does more than [adverb]merely [modifies verb ]summarize – [verb] more than [verb] - parallel – hold it]

Answer: E
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 18:52
E for me

and all the explaination is more than useful! Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 20:18
hanumayamma and jallenmorris , great explanation :-) thanks so much !
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 21:31
jallenmorris wrote:
I think the answer is E.

"Summarizig" looks like a verb but is being used as a noun (a.k.a. Gerund), so uing "merely" with it doesn't make any sense. It would make sense if "summarizing" was the acting Degler did. (Degler was merely summarizing the deposition when I called him.)

In E, "summarize" is the direct object. "Degler does"....Degler does what? He does more than merely summarize...

You can have a verb in the direct object. You just have to use it properly. The verb is "summarize". It is often used in the form of the infinitive "to summarize". "He did summarize, He summarized. You can add -ing to it, but it is no longer a verb. It's a gerund...a [VERB + ING] that is ued as a noun. Once this happens the usage is completely changed and the answer choices with "summarizing" do not use it correctly.

"more than merely" is actually functioning as an adverbial phrase. It describes to what extent Degler does summarize.

rpmodi wrote:

Great explanation Jallen..

I was struck between A and E. Now it's clear.

Delger summarzies existing research [ unemphatic ]
Delger does summarize existing research [emphatic ]
Sub + do/does/did ( Aux Verb) + main verb in base form + Object.
When we use auxilary do verb in setence the main verb must be in base form

Good one..

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 21:52
jallenmorris wrote:
I think the answer is E.

rpmodi wrote:

+1 :)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 22:36
Great explanation Jallen!

Also, am I wrong to see parallelism between summarize and construct? This ultimately is what lead me to E. Summarize and construct... seems consistent and clean. The others sound off with reasons already mentioned.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 05:53
raconteur,

There is nothing wrong with making sure that two words sound good and clean together, but don't get this confused with the words being parallel. Parallel deals with the structure of the sentence. If you use an infinitive in a series, all verbs should in that form in the series like this:

On his days off, he likes to golf, run, and sail.

Each of those, golf, run & sail are in the same form of conjugated verb. "to run", "to golf", and "to sail". The following form of that sentence is incorrect:

On his days off, he likes to golf, run, and sailing.

Sailing is a gerund and is used as a noun. This could be fixed with either "to go sailing" or back to the same sentence I wrote above.

If GMAT is testing parallelism, watch for verb structure in a series.

raconteur wrote:
Great explanation Jallen!

Also, am I wrong to see parallelism between summarize and construct? This ultimately is what lead me to E. Summarize and construct... seems consistent and clean. The others sound off with reasons already mentioned.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research;  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 23:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research; &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jun 2018, 23:22

Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research;

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap