Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
james... I too am a little disappointed with my 680 that I scored yesterday. Anyways, for me it was the flip side my Quant was a 45 which is the lowest I have ever gotten. I started with a 46(without any prep) and then regularly was getting a 48-50 range so I was a little shocked at my Quant scaled score. Something was definitely in the air yesterday as a bunch of us landed in the 660-680 bucket who seemed to be hopeful of cracking the 700 mark....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
disappointed, disappointed... please be happy with your 660!!! it is a great score, so give yourself some credit!!!

CONGRATS!!! :banana

nerves do play a huge role in this process... I suggest next time you hit the local park to run some laps... this will make you tired and you will fall asleep way faster!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations James!!!!

I dont care what you say, your score is very attractive to any school. Just think, you scored better than 87% of people taking the test. That is not shabby at all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good Job James!

You did great. I got a 620 my first time around. Yeah, I was dissapointed, but I'm back and if I can get a score like yours, I'll be pretty satisfied.

Cheers.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the reasponses guys..and gals:)
I think the reason that I am so upset is that I know I usually do better on the verbal section and am not sure what the heck happened. As I indicated previously, I never scored below a 41 on any verbal section before and on the PR online verbal exams that I took this week, I scored 44 and 45 respectively. I could have easily had a 700 if only I had scored the average for my verbal. And on the math section, if I didn't waste so much time on the first question, I just sort of froze, I would have done alot better on there too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
James, 660 is competitive enough to get into most schools. You should just focus on nailing down the apps. Once your done with the apps and you're confident you can do better, take it again and send the new scores if they are higher.

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
James,
first of all congrats. 660 is not bad. I would strongly suggest that you retake if the scores are below your true potential. If you can get a difference of 60-80, then its worth it. But, be sure to take it asap, otherwise you will easily get exhausted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I feel your pain [#permalink]
James, I know how you feel! How? Coz, I just got the same score, 660.
I decided to retake the exam. Personally, if my score were balanced between the Verbal and Quant as yours is, I might not retake the exam.
I think your score is adequate for most schools.

If you decide to retake the exam, I guess we will exchange many posts between now and our 2nd attempt.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks guys once again
I am going to focus on writing my application essays
I am only applying to two schools Penn State and Pitt. I already had the essays started as I was going to apply for admission to start this fall but my dad got cancer, and I decided to postpone it a year. My score is above the average and Median for Pitt and about on average for Penn State The primary reason I want to retake it is because I am hoping to get a scholarship, not for admissions per se

I told the lady at the center I will see her next month. As I indicated previously, I am not going to study much. I may view some forums and keep fresh on verbal, but I know it was more of a stress, tiredness, anxiety issue that kept me from a 700. I will make sure to have my drivers license in a safe place:) and will take a sleeping pill the night before...I was seriously drowsy during the first half of the quant section (caffeine wasn't helping)and I won't be so nervous since I know I have admission to my schools, unless my essays suck:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Jameswright,
If you could provide some insight into the types of questions , that'll be awesome. How hard did you find them ? Were they similar to GMATPrep or OG 11 ?? Were there any repeats etc ....

Thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
James,

Give a pat on your back buddy. Its a good score. I know you can do better. Schedule the next exam today for exactly after 31 days. Good luck!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Let's just say some of the questions were similar to ones found in a certain section of another site! :wink: I saw 2-3 of those. However, those were easy ones anyways and hence I don't received an advantage from them. Alot of them were similar to the OG 11

Nothing really weird or out of the ordinary, a few involving inequalities (those were simple)

I think I missed the first question because my mind went blank and spent too much time on it and that caused me problems in the Quant section, Also, that marker caused me troubles, I had to get a new one and sometimes it smeared and I had to start calculations over again because my numbers go out of line. I need to practice doing calculations with a marker at home... Next time I am going to ask for 2 markers for my exam. I think they will accomodate. I Don't see the big deal with having an extra marker

I think the first question went something like this. 3^X=cube root 27*27

I am not sure what the heck I put down for the answer...

The thing that threw me off is the verbal section had some CR's with some WEIRD terms in them and sometimes it was hard to keep track exactly what it was asking. The reading passage was about 160 lines long and dealt with Pakistani feminist literature from the 1930's ?? Talk about an oddball passage. The SC's didn't seem to be overly difficult, mostly dealt with parralelism, but SC's are always my downfall. As I indicated previously, I had 780 on verbal SAT and 740 GRE verbal (and scored in the 165 range on practice LSAT). I am usually quite strong in verbal. That is why I am so mad is I know I made STUPID mistakes on the verbal portion of the exam. There is really no other explanation for it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
BTW Congrats on your score !!! Don't beat yourself up man !!!!
U did great !!! Its not worth being dejected... Score of 650 + and 710 + is all the same man... Make sure your essays, recos etc are up to the mark. Focus on that... I have friends with 710 who got rejected first time.. Next attempt they corrected their essays and beefed up their recos etc..
u do the same man... Its crazy to focus on just scores..THey are not getting u anywhere until your overall application is top notch.

So you would agree that the difficulty level on GMAT quant and verbal questions has not changed (compared to GMATPrep) ???? I saw a post by a different person , he /she claims it has.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am most sure that you will get into both PSU and Upitt.
I hope you go to PSU.... I am a Nittany Lion Fan... :lol: :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats man... you did well! And if you do retake, I know you can do better.

You story is basically the same as mine - I did the same thing except in my case it was quant. I took a dozen practice exams, and always scored 42,43,44,45 on math. When I took teh real exam I got a 33 math. That's a 41% percentile. When I retook it, I got a 45 math (though by then I was pushing 48/49 on my practice exams) - in short, it happened to me too.... and if you read my rant here ( https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=30030 ) you'll see that, just like you, I had no idea what the heck caused it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Congrats man... you did well! And if you do retake, I know you can do better.

You story is basically the same as mine - I did the same thing except in my case it was quant. I took a dozen practice exams, and always scored 42,43,44,45 on math. When I took teh real exam I got a 33 math. That's a 41% percentile. When I retook it, I got a 45 math (though by then I was pushing 48/49 on my practice exams) - in short, it happened to me too.... and if you read my rant here ( https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=30030 ) you'll see that, just like you, I had no idea what the heck caused it.

Yep, I am taking it in stride. I am going to relook over my verbal section. It was really weird. I honestly thought I was going towards a verbal in a high 40's when I got two LONG RC. I was like man, I must be doing good. The SC didn't seem that hard! I am nto sure where I went wrong on Friday

I also think I can boost my quant score by at least 3-4. I was scoring an average of 47 and had one 49 on power prep. I just wasted too much time and had to guess on some of them:(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Finally got my AWA score! I almost forgot about it
I got a 5.5

I surprised about that considering I Didn't look at any info on AWA beforehand and didn't practice a single question I just debate alot on message boards, and I think it helped

I still think I am going to retake it in a month or so
My verbal score was so far below my usual scoring (took 3 GMAT Prep and Powerprep and Princeton review) Average there was between a 43-45
That would take me over 700, and I think I could improve a point or two on my quant
I am ready to rock:)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts