Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 08:25 It is currently 08 May 2024, 08:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [24]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3227 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
Re: Demographic experts predict that the global human population [#permalink]
KissGMAT wrote:
Demographic experts predict that the global human population will reach its peak sometime in the middle of this century, after which it will begin to decline. Population growth is driven primarily by high birth rates in developing countries. It is known that when women have access to education and economic opportunities, they choose to have fewer children. Therefore, these experts propose expanding educational and economic opportunities to women in developing countries to bring about an earlier and smaller population peak.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds to doubt that the experts' proposal, if adopted, will achieve its aim?
(A) The demographic experts proposing expanding opportunities for women in developing countries made the same recommendations over twenty years ago.
(B) The experts' prediction is based on realistic assessments of the educational and economic opportunities that can be made available to women in developing countries before that time.
(C) Many women in industrialized countries will continue to have four or more children despite access to a variety of educational and economic opportunities.
(D) The demographic experts fail to explain why an earlier and smaller population peak is preferable to a later and larger peak.
(E) Expanding opportunities to women in developing countries is generally considered a positive outcome regardless of its impact on population levels.

I go for D......C seems wrong as industrialized countries is not equivalent to developing countries.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
IMO C.

Although "developing" countries aren't the same as "industrialized" countries, it would seem to logically follow that if women in industrialized countries who have access to educational programs continue to have children in significant numbers, then those programs would have little to no effect on women in developing countries...which may ultimately wind up being industrialized countries.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
can anyone explain why is C and not D

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Correct answer : B

This is a weaken question. The experts' proposal involves expanding opportunities for women so that affected women will have fewer children, thus limiting the size of the population peak that the same experts have predicted. We're looking for a choice that suggests that the proposal will not limit the size of the peak or cause it to occur earlier. Consider each one:

(A) This is irrelevant. If the proposal 20 years ago was not followed (and we don't know whether it was or not) the fact that it was made doesn't tell us whether it would be effective or not today.
(B) This is correct. The proposal is based on the assumption that greater opportunities could be arranged for women in developing countries. If the maximum possible opportunities are already present, and have been built into the prediction, the proposal will not bring about any changes in the population peak.
(C) The argument is concerned primarily with developing countries, not industrialized countries.
(D) It doesn't matter whether the goal is desirable; the question is concerned with whether the goal will be attained.
(E) This is outside of the scope. It may be true, but it doesn't bear on whether the proposal will have the desired effect.

https://www.gmatdaily.com/20100803-gmat- ... e-day.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
D weakens the argument
B supports the conclusion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
KissGMAT wrote:
Demographic experts predict that the global human population will reach its peak sometime in the middle of this century, after which it will begin to decline. Population growth is driven primarily by high birth rates in developing countries. It is known that when women have access to education and economic opportunities, they choose to have fewer children. Therefore, these experts propose expanding educational and economic opportunities to women in developing countries to bring about an earlier and smaller population peak.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds to doubt that the experts' proposal, if adopted, will achieve its aim?
(A) The demographic experts proposing expanding opportunities for women in developing countries made the same recommendations over twenty years ago.
(B) The experts' prediction is based on realistic assessments of the educational and economic opportunities that can be made available to women in developing countries before that time.
Where in the statement , it is written that opportunities exist ?

(C) Many women in industrialized countries will continue to have four or more children despite access to a variety of educational and economic opportunities.
Correct. attempts are made to reduce global human population peak. Industrialized countries are part of global world.
(D) The demographic experts fail to explain why an earlier and smaller population peak is preferable to a later and larger peak.
(E) Expanding opportunities to women in developing countries is generally considered a positive outcome regardless of its impact on population levels.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2384 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Kudos
I will try to answer why B is the answer. :-D
P1 : Demographic experts want to peak the population in the developing country.
P2 : The reason they give for the success is that in developing countries women have access to education and economic opportunities, they choose to have fewer children.
Conclusion : Education and economic opportunities bring about an earlier and smaller population peak
Comparing B with C

----->
The scope shift. We are not arguing whether they will have more children or not. The focus is whether women have access to sufficient educational and economic opportunities. If they DO premise P2 will start working. That is the deciding factor for the experts to succeed in this endeavor.

------->
B : Articulate but answer. The important assumption for this endeavor to succeed is that the opportunities for education MUST be available in the developing countries. In the absence of this scenario the argument of the experts falls apart. In fact B weakens the argument that they will DEFINITELY succeed. It can be possible that the country has very little growth opportunities which will not affect the population and bring early peak.

Originally posted by nusmavrik on 08 Aug 2010, 12:38.
Last edited by nusmavrik on 08 Aug 2010, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Excellent explanation guys,

B is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Smurfit (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
Can you give explanation for the correct answer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Experts could you please help. I chose C and need to confirm whether it is correct or not
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15284 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
shikhaPorwal wrote:

ankujgupta wrote:
Experts could you please help. I chose C and need to confirm whether it is correct or not

Premise: Education and economic opportunities for women result in women having fewer children.
Conclusion: Education and economic opportunities will help in earlier and smaller peak population.

A: Irrelevant - how long the proposal was made is not related to the link between the premise and conclusion.
B: If the assessment is realistic, then option B strengthens the argument.
C: This option highlights a reason why the proposal may fail. Many women will give birth to four or more children, and hence the lower peak as envisaged will not be achieved.
D: It does not matter why lower peak is preferable to higher peak. The argument is about the relation between the premise and conclusion stated above, not about the justification of the proposal.
E: This option does not have any relation to the link between the premise and conclusion.

Option C is correct. OA added.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
shikhaPorwal wrote:

ankujgupta wrote:

Premise: Education and economic opportunities for women result in women having fewer children.
Conclusion: Education and economic opportunities will help in earlier and smaller peak population.

A: Irrelevant - how long the proposal was made is not related to the link between the premise and conclusion.
C: This option highlights a reason why the proposal may fail. Many women will give birth to four or more children, and hence the lower peak as envisaged will not be achieved.
D: It does not matter why lower peak is preferable to higher peak. The argument is about the relation between the premise and conclusion stated above, not about the justification of the proposal.
E: This option does not have any relation to the link between the premise and conclusion.

Please help to understand - how can I conclude "developing country women = industrial country women" if there is no link given in the passage?
If I'm not wrong, conclusion specifically talks about women in developing countries.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sachinrpat wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
shikhaPorwal wrote:

ankujgupta wrote:

Please help to understand - how can I conclude "developing country women = industrial country women" if there is no link given in the passage?
If I'm not wrong, conclusion specifically talks about women in developing countries.

You don't need equate developing country to industrialized country. The argument discusses total human population: reduction in number of children that women in developing countries give birth to may be compensated by increase in number of children taking birth in the same countries or other countries. Therefore it does not matter whether developing country women = industrial country women.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Hi experts, I'm not able to understand how women in developing countries are related to women in developed countries. It's given that the reason is women in developing countries , and option C says women in developed countries will continue. It doesn't say that they will start giving birth to more children. I don't think it is weekening the conclusion. Please advise

Posted from my mobile device

CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
rakaisraka wrote:
Hi experts, I'm not able to understand how women in developing countries are related to women in developed countries. It's given that the reason is women in developing countries , and option C says women in developed countries will continue. It doesn't say that they will start giving birth to more children. I don't think it is weekening the conclusion. Please advise

Please refer to the post just above yours. The conclusion is about global population - not population of some particular countries.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
rakaisraka wrote:

Please refer to the post just above yours. The conclusion is about global population - not population of some particular countries.

Hi, The reason why I'm not able to understand is because - women in Developed countires giving birth to more than 4 children is already there. They are not increasing the rate.What matters is the women in developing countries. The conclusion is based on the women in developing countries.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15284 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rakaisraka wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
rakaisraka wrote:

Hi, The reason why I'm not able to understand is because - women in Developed countires giving birth to more than 4 children is already there. They are not increasing the rate.What matters is the women in developing countries. The conclusion is based on the women in developing countries.

You are absolutely right. The part 'continue to' spoils option C. Option C has been modified to rectify the error. Thank you for pointing out.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts