GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 18:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Descending approximately 4,000 years ago from the African

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Descending approximately 4,000 years ago from the African  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2008, 15:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

73% (00:51) correct 27% (00:53) wrong based on 243 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Descending approximately 4,000 years ago from the African wildcat, it has been an exceedingly short time for the domestic cat with respect to genetic evolution and it scarcely seems sufficient to allow the marked physical changes that transformed the animal.

Descending approximately 4,000 years ago from the African wildcat, it has been an exceedingly short time for the domestic cat with respect to genetic evolution and it scarcely seems sufficient to allow the marked physical changes that transformed the animal.

The domestic cat descended from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, which is an exceedingly short time for the domestic cat's genetic evolution and scarcely sufficient for the marked physical changes that transformed the animal.

Descending from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, the domestic cat has had an exceedingly short time for its genetic evolution and has been scarcely sufficient for the marked physical changes in the animal.

Having descended from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, the domestic cat has had an exceedingly short time for its genetic evolution that has scarcely been sufficient for the marked physical changes that transformed the animal.

The domestic cat descended from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, an exceedingly recent divergence with respect to genetic evolution and one which scarcely seems sufficient to allow the marked physical changes in the animal.
VP
VP
Re: SC Wildcat 700-800 level  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2008, 11:35
Isn't the it/its in A C D ambiguous as it can refer to either cat? I ruled out A,C D based on that

Between B & E, B uses which clearly refers to 4000 years ago and is logically parallel in referring to the same 4000 years ago

E actually uses new words divergence etc..

My pick is B
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2008, 11:35
Isn't the it/its in A C D ambiguous as it can refer to either cat? I ruled out A,C D based on that

Between B & E, B uses which clearly refers to 4000 years ago and is logically parallel in referring to the same 4000 years ago

E actually uses new words divergence etc..

My pick is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2008, 11:49
IMO E for this one

was stuck between D and E on this one

but D although corrects the initial modifier problem, introduces another modifier issue

I think E is the correct answer on this one

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2008, 16:54
i agree with B as well, it properly structures the sentence such that 4000 is an exceeding short period of time for genetic evolution
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2008, 17:04
shiksta tough one..i just got the OA from a previous post..

i cant seem to nail these suckers
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2008, 17:06
i realized that in B, 4000 years ago is a moment in time, not a PERIOD of time..
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2008, 20:19
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

The domestic cat descended from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, which is an exceedingly short time for the domestic cat's genetic evolution and scarcely sufficient for the marked physical changes that transformed the animal.

Descending from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, the domestic cat has had an exceedingly short time for its genetic evolution and has been scarcely sufficient for the marked physical changes in the animal.

Having descended from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, the domestic cat has had an exceedingly short time for its genetic evolution that has scarcely been sufficient for the marked physical changes that transformed the animal.

The domestic cat descended from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, an exceedingly recent divergence with respect to genetic evolution and one which scarcely seems sufficient to allow the marked physical changes in the animal.

A,C,D --out It has no clear referrent.
B -- which modifes "ago" (400 years ago) ---not correct.

E wins.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: Descending approximately 4,000 years ago from the African  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 23:19
The original sentence begins with a misplaced modifier. It is the domestic cat that descended from the wildcat. We need to find a choice that expresses this correctly.

• (A) This choice is the same as the original sentence.
• (B) The original modifier issue has been corrected. However, the phrase "which is an exceedingly short time" has no referent ("4,000 years ago" is not a time span but a specific moment). so here it implies 4000 years ago is a short time span for evolution which doesn't make sense.
• (C) The original modifier issue has been corrected. However, the phrase "has been scarcely sufficient..." incorrectly refers to the domestic cat.
• (D) The original modifier issue has been corrected. However, the phrase "that has scarcely been sufficient..." incorrectly modifies "genetic evolution". Also "the marked physical changes that transformed the animal" is redundant. Compare to E: "the marked physical changes in the animal," a much tighter way of conveying the same information.
• (E) CORRECT. This choice correctly rearranges the opening modifier to place the words "the domestic cat" immediately next to the modifier "descended from the African wildcat." :P
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 06:33
Can anyone help me with the usage of "descended from"
According to another question, the right usage should be "is descended from", as "descended from" means a literal down stepping.

in this question the right answer uses "descended from", which would be non nonsensical.

This is the question i'm referring to. Answer is E

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

sayantanc2k chetan2u
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 06:48
rahulkashyap wrote:
According to another question, the right usage should be "is descended from", as "descended from" means a literal down stepping.

in this question the right answer uses "descended from", which would be non nonsensical.

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

sayantanc2k chetan2u

Hi,
There are three usages, which I can think of immediately--
a) descended-- when used alone, literally means to come down from
example:- he descended the staircase..
b) descended from something-- when we want to say how something has evolved/developed/origined
example the Hindu traditions descended from the Bhagwat Gita.
c) Be descended from- a relation with some past ancestors/something
This is the exact usage here, which tells us that th elephant has this ancient animal as his ancestors..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 06:56
chetan2u wrote:
rahulkashyap wrote:

sayantanc2k chetan2u

Hi,
b) descended from something-- when we want to say how something has evolved/developed/origined
This is the exact usage here, which tells us that th elephant has this ancient animal as his ancestors..

Option B is incorrect in the above question, as it says the elephants literally came down. This is the same issue here
Manager
Manager
B
Descending approximately 4,000 years ago from the African  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 06:58
chetan2u wrote:
rahulkashyap wrote:

sayantanc2k chetan2u

Hi,

chetan2u
I'd love to post on manhattan, but for some reason I'm not allowed to.
Anyway, this is a response from ron purewal from mgmat regarding the issue with B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
in B, why " , its trunk originally involving..." is wrong.

i don't think the problem is with that phrase.
two other elements of that answer choice are problematic:
* "has suggested" --> this is the present perfect, which is used to look back on past events that have some sort of relation to the present situation. so, "has suggested" would signify that, at some point in the (probably recent) past, this evidence has suggested what is stated here -- but that it doesn't suggest those notions anymore.
* "descended" (without "is") --> if you mean to state an evolutionary relationship, you should use "is descended". "descended", used alone, signifies literal downward motion.

-----------------------------------------------

Also, on a side note, this is what the dictionary meaning is :

be a blood relative of (a specified ancestor).
"John Dalrymple was descended from an ancient Ayrshire family"
"he is descended from a Flemish family"
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 07:04
rahulkashyap wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
rahulkashyap wrote:

sayantanc2k chetan2u

Hi,

chetan2u
I'd love to post on manhattan, but for some reason I'm not allowed to.
Anyway, this is a response from ron purewal from mgmat regarding the issue with B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
in B, why " , its trunk originally involving..." is wrong.

i don't think the problem is with that phrase.
two other elements of that answer choice are problematic:
* "has suggested" --> this is the present perfect, which is used to look back on past events that have some sort of relation to the present situation. so, "has suggested" would signify that, at some point in the (probably recent) past, this evidence has suggested what is stated here -- but that it doesn't suggest those notions anymore.
* "descended" (without "is") --> if you mean to state an evolutionary relationship, you should use "is descended". "descended", used alone, signifies literal downward motion.

-----------------------------------------------

Also, on a side note, this is what the dictionary meaning is :

be a blood relative of (a specified ancestor).
"John Dalrymple was descended from an ancient Ayrshire family"
"he is descended from a Flemish family"

hi,
B is wrong for two reasons
1) descended from --- very reason you are mentioning
2) usage of ' its trunk originally evolving' is also incorrect

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 07:16
chetan2u
if B is wrong for the reason that it uses descended from, then how is option E correct in the original question of this thread. It also uses "descended from"

" The domestic cat descended from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, "

I have used the question for reference to pinpoint the error in this thread's question.
Please help me out
Thanks
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 07:31
rahulkashyap wrote:
chetan2u
if B is wrong for the reason that it uses descended from, then how is option E correct in the original question of this thread. It also uses "descended from"

" The domestic cat descended from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, "

I have used the question for reference to pinpoint the error in this thread's question.
Please help me out
Thanks

hi,
I believe the reason here is--
1)the domestic cat descended from african wild cat means the domestic cat has evolved out of african wild cat..
and at present both the animals in Q are present so MAY be the domestic cat 'evolved from' african wild cat is better than ' african wild cat is ancestor of the domestic cat'
2)Had you wanted to say it evolved out of something extinct now, say A..
then it would be better to say the domestic cat is descended from A..

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 07:35
Alright, but by saying the car descended, don't we mean that it had a downward motion? At least that's what mgmat and the dictionary says
chetan2u

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 07:56
rahulkashyap wrote:
Alright, but by saying the car descended, don't we mean that it had a downward motion? At least that's what mgmat and the dictionary says
chetan2u

Hi rahul
That's exactly what I have written two three posts above...
Descended without from means what is being said
Pl refer my first post after your query..

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 08:06
Chetan, I'm not sure whether u get my point. According to the mgmat post and the dictionary, saying " x descended from y" means that x came down from y. Which is what is pointed out in the question about the elephant. " the elephant descended from", hence it is wrong because the elephant did not come down from anything. The question about the African cat says that the car descended from, which means that the cat came down from something. Which is wrong as pointed out in the question about the elephant
chetan2u

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 08:19
rahulkashyap wrote:
Chetan, I'm not sure whether u get my point. According to the mgmat post and the dictionary, saying " x descended from y" means that x came down from y. Which is what is pointed out in the question about the elephant. " the elephant descended from", hence it is wrong because the elephant did not come down from anything. The question about the African cat says that the car descended from, which means that the cat came down from something. Which is wrong as pointed out in the question about the elephant
chetan2u

Hi,
You have mentioned car descended so didn't know that you meant cat ...
I think descended from is better used in terms of evolution...
And all these OG examples point towards that.
Can you reproduce the words od mgmat

GMAT online Tutor

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Descending approximately 4,000 years ago from the African &nbs [#permalink] 06 Mar 2016, 08:19

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

Descending approximately 4,000 years ago from the African

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap