Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4090 [0]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4090 [0]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Re: Descending approximately 4,000 years ago from the African wildcat, it [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
Parallelism is not a problem because both parts are modifying 'divergence.'
Also, the use of 'which' is acceptable even if it is used in the restrictive sense. GMAT may 'prefer' that in restrictive sense but the use of 'which' cannot be called incorrect.
That said, I have issues with the meaning of the sentence (or perhaps there is some fault in my understanding).

In option (E), I am not sure what 'domestic cat descended from wild cat 4000 years ago' means. So we had the domestic cat the way it is today 4000 years ago or did the process of divergence start 4000 years ago?
'an exceedingly recent divergence' makes sense in either case but what is 'not sufficient to allow the marked physical changes' has to be the time period in which the changes took place. How can 'divergence' not be sufficient? Perhaps the genetic makeup changed 4000 years ago and physical changes have been taking place after that? And at this point, I was thoroughly confused and wished I understood genetics and evolution better.

In that sense, (B) worked better because both 'exceedingly short time ...' and 'scarcely sufficient for the marked changes ...' are talking about time periods (though the time period is not mentioned) One can only assume that the time period began 4000 years ago and led to today. This means that the process of descending started 4000 years ago and has continued till now. Does it make sense? I am again not sure.

Hi KarishmaB

Thank you for your insights. Can you please comment if a phrase can be parallel to a clause. I thought phrases and clauses cannot be parallel, please let me know if I mistaken in here.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Descending approximately 4,000 years ago from the African wildcat, it [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatophobia wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
Parallelism is not a problem because both parts are modifying 'divergence.'
Also, the use of 'which' is acceptable even if it is used in the restrictive sense. GMAT may 'prefer' that in restrictive sense but the use of 'which' cannot be called incorrect.
That said, I have issues with the meaning of the sentence (or perhaps there is some fault in my understanding).

In option (E), I am not sure what 'domestic cat descended from wild cat 4000 years ago' means. So we had the domestic cat the way it is today 4000 years ago or did the process of divergence start 4000 years ago?
'an exceedingly recent divergence' makes sense in either case but what is 'not sufficient to allow the marked physical changes' has to be the time period in which the changes took place. How can 'divergence' not be sufficient? Perhaps the genetic makeup changed 4000 years ago and physical changes have been taking place after that? And at this point, I was thoroughly confused and wished I understood genetics and evolution better.

In that sense, (B) worked better because both 'exceedingly short time ...' and 'scarcely sufficient for the marked changes ...' are talking about time periods (though the time period is not mentioned) One can only assume that the time period began 4000 years ago and led to today. This means that the process of descending started 4000 years ago and has continued till now. Does it make sense? I am again not sure.

Hi KarishmaB

Thank you for your insights. Can you please comment if a phrase can be parallel to a clause. I thought phrases and clauses cannot be parallel, please let me know if I mistaken in here.

We cannot think in terms of 'whether A can be parallel to B.'
Parallelism is good to have, especially in formal, business writing since it makes the sentence easy to understand. We make do with as much parallelism as we can get from the options.

In this sentence, both structures are 'noun + modifier'.
Noun 'divergence' renames the previous clause and 'one' again stands for 'divergence.' The which clause modifies 'one.'
The kind of modifiers in the cases differs but it doesn't matter. We accept as much parallelism as we can find in the options and live with that.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts