Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: Desktop or no? [#permalink]
I don't know of any students here who have a desktop, most just use their laptops for everything. The only desktop I've seen here is a Mac owned by someone's significant other who does a lot of graphics and video editing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Cornell '12
Send PM
Kudos
I have a slightly different take on this.

You definitely need an ultra portable laptop with you all the time in school, while travelling etc for which a Thinkpad x201 12" laptop is perfect. In addition to that I am carrying my desktop with me. I added a Samsung p2570HD 25" LCD monitor/HDTV to it, which gives me a monitor as well as a full TV. I will be using it as my TV/DVD player/Music center and also for work related stuff like big excel sheets, heavy simulations or anything else that the 12" laptop is too small for. I kinda like sitting on a desk with a proper keyboard and good posture for long sittings.

Somehow, I prefer this combination over carrying a 14"-15" heavier laptop.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
vino wrote:
I have a slightly different take on this.

You definitely need an ultra portable laptop with you all the time in school, while travelling etc for which a Thinkpad x201 12" laptop is perfect. In addition to that I am carrying my desktop with me. I added a Samsung p2570HD 25" LCD monitor/HDTV to it, which gives me a monitor as well as a full TV. I will be using it as my TV/DVD player/Music center and also for work related stuff like big excel sheets, heavy simulations or anything else that the 12" laptop is too small for. I kinda like sitting on a desk with a proper keyboard and good posture for long sittings.

Somehow, I prefer this combination over carrying a 14"-15" heavier laptop.

My preference is similar to yours. I can't even imagine myself using a laptop exclusively, but I can see how other people choose to do so. I'm a little concerned about the ease and convenience of transferring working documents between my laptop and desktop though. I guess that's what Dropbox is for...

Here's a link if anyone's curious about syncing files on multiple computers.
https://www.dropbox.com/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
I guess that's what Dropbox is for...

Here's a link if anyone's curious about syncing files on multiple computers.
https://www.dropbox.com/

Dropbox is cool but I always worried about forgetting to use it. I've had great success accessing my desktop remotely through LogMeIn. As long as you have an internet connection (and keep your desktop connected at home) you can work on your desktop, find files to email them to yourself, etc. There are faster and more secure ways to remotely access a desktop, but for free, I think it does the trick.
GMAT Club Bot