It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 09:33

Live Now:

Ace the Booth Interview - Live on YouTube

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite the fact that antilock brakes are designed to make

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: SPG
Despite the fact that antilock brakes are designed to make [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2010, 05:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:10) correct 42% (01:22) wrong based on 198 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Despite the fact that antilock brakes are designed to make driving safer, research suggests that people who drive cars equipped with antilock brakes have more accidents than those who drive cars equipped with antilock brakes have more accidents than those who drive cars not equipped with antilock brakes.

Each of the following, if true, would help resolve the apparent discrepancy described above EXCEPT:

a) Most cars equipped with antilock brakes are, on average, driven more carelessly than cars not equipped with antilock-brakes.

b) Antilock brakes malfunction more often than regular brakes.

c) Antilock brakes require expensive specialized maintenance to be even as effective as unmaintained regular brakes

d) Most people who drive cars equipped with antilock brakes do not know how to use those brakes properly

e) Antilock brakes were designed for safety in congested urban driving, but accidents of the most serious nature take place on highways.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Re: Despite the fact that antilock brakes are designed to make [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2010, 06:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Going with E:
dimitri92 wrote:
Despite the fact that antilock brakes are designed to make driving safer, research suggests that people who drive cars equipped with antilock brakes have more accidents than those who drive cars equipped with antilock brakes have more accidents than those who drive cars not equipped with antilock brakes.

Each of the following, if true, would help resolve the apparent discrepancy described above EXCEPT:

a) Most cars equipped with antilock brakes are, on average, driven more carelessly than cars not equipped with antilock-brakes. You would expect this to lead to more accidents with anti-lock brake equipped cars. It's a strange thing to have be true, but hey, the question tells to assume it is.

b) Antilock brakes malfunction more often than regular brakes. Leading to more accidents. Not a big leap of logic there.

c) Antilock brakes require expensive specialized maintenance to be even as effective as unmaintained regular brakes Which implies that not everyone will have the means to get the maintenance, which would lead to b) happening.

d) Most people who drive cars equipped with antilock brakes do not know how to use those brakes properly Pretty straightforward. You need to know how to use brakes in order to not have accidents.

e) Antilock brakes were designed for safety in congested urban driving, but accidents of the most serious nature take place on highways. This is talking about the nature of the accidents, not the frequency. The statement only said more accidents happen, not accidents are more/less serious with anti-lock brakes. This doesn't tell me why anti-lock brake cars are getting into MORE accidents at all. The others all clearly tell me why.

Last edited by dalmba on 23 May 2010, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2010, 09:05
Yes E. Agree with the reasoning as above.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 05:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Despite the fact that antilock brakes are designed to make driving [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 10:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

a) Most cars equipped with antilock brakes are, on average, driven more carelessly than cars not equipped with antilock-brakes.

b) Antilock brakes malfunction more often than regular brakes.

c) Antilock brakes require expensive specialized maintenance to be even as effective as unmaintained regular brakes

d) Most people who drive cars equipped with antilock brakes do not know how to use those brakes properly

e) Antilock brakes were designed for safety in congested urban driving, but accidents of the most serious nature take place on highways.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Despite the fact that antilock brakes are designed to make driving [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 11:13
I will mark option (E) as the answer , it compares urban driving to higway accidents and got nothing to do with the discrepancy why antilock brakes designed for making driving safer is unable to do so.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 03:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Despite the fact that antilock brakes are designed to make driving [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
Why more number of accidents occur on cars equipped with ABS than those that are not equipped with ABS is the paradox here.

Choice C tells when not maintained properly, ABS does not even perform like regular brakes and can often malfunction. Hence explains a cause for the discrepancy.

Choice E explains that those accidents on ABS equipped cars are not serious but does not justify why there is a difference in number of accidents between AB equipped cars & regular ones.

Just restarted my GMAT life. KUDOs please :-)
Re: Despite the fact that antilock brakes are designed to make driving   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2018, 10:28

Despite the fact that antilock brakes are designed to make

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap