Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 20:27 It is currently 05 May 2024, 20:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Duke '15
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.94
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Diagnostic test [#permalink]
wjdgusqls wrote:
I can see why people would want to save GMATPrep for later, but I think doing one as a diagnostic test is a good idea. Ultimately, you are not looking for tests that are the "best indicators" of your actual performance - you are looking for ones that will help you most effectively prepare for the actual exam. I believe that doing a test that most closely mimics what you will see on the actual day (not just scoring algorithm-wise but also in difficulty of questions) helps you best identify your weaknesses and tackle them right away. For instance, MGMAT's quant section is known to be a lot more difficult than GMATPrep - so, if you only do MGMAT practice tests early on, you may end up spending unnecessary amount of time training for the quant section.

Hey ur GMAT TEst Prep scores and MGMAT scores are awesome...

How are u taking your GMAT preparations. Share some tips and techniques...

And how to proceed aftr the diagnostic tests...
Well how did you start your preparation and how is this 770 and all was possible....

share your insights please...

And congrats in advance for the 790.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Actually, I took my first GMATPrep without any preparation. I didn't even really know what type of questions there were in GMAT (well I knew there were verbal and quant sections, but I wasn't sure what kind of questions are asked in each section). I just graduated from college, so my mind is still in academic mode. This must have helped me do well on my diagnostic. Also, since it was my very first test, I was really relaxed and felt no pressure during the exam. If I did poorly, I could just say, "that was expected."

Because I studied engineering in college, I am pretty confident in quant, so I am not going to spend much time preparing for it. I just skimmed through OG12 to make sure that I am comfortable with all the concepts that GMAT may potentially test. I think understanding the scope of the exam is important, because it really narrows down the type of approach that you might take to answer each question. For this, I think OG12 is the best guide to look at because it IS the official book and it does give you an outline of all the topics that may show up on the exam.

As for verbal, my GMATPrep diagnostic showed me that my weakest section is SC - out of 5 questions that I got wrong, 4 of them were SC. So basically, I have been going through MGMAT SC, putting stars beside concepts that I didn't know / wasn't sure about. Doing GMATPrep as my first diagnostic helped me pinpoint my weaknesses right away.

In general, I think the best way to prepare is doing targeted practice.

Best of luck to you!

Originally posted by hakunamatata3 on 17 Aug 2011, 06:43.
Last edited by hakunamatata3 on 17 Aug 2011, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wjdgusqls wrote:
Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Actually, I took my first GMATPrep without any preparation. I didn't even really know what type of questions there were in GMAT (well I knew there were verbal and quant sections, but I wasn't sure what kind of questions are asked in each section). I just graduated from college, so my mind is still in academic mode. This must have helped me do well on my diagnostic. Also, because it was my very first test, I was really relaxed and felt no pressure during the exam because if I did poorly, I could just say, "that was expected."

Because I studied engineering in college, I am pretty confident in quant, so I am not going to spend much time preparing for it. I just skimmed through OG12 to make sure that I am comfortable with all the concepts that GMAT may potentially test. I think understanding the scope of the exam is important, because it really narrows down the type of approach that you might take to answer each question. For this, I think OG12 is the best guide to look at because it IS the official book and it does give you an outline of all the topics that may show up on the exam.

As for verbal, my GMATPrep diagnostic showed me that my weakest section is SC - out of 5 questions that I got wrong, 4 of them were SC. So basically, I have been going through MGMAT SC, putting stars beside concepts that I didn't know / wasn't sure about. Doing GMATPrep as my first diagnostic helped me pinpoint my weaknesses right away.

In general, I think the best way to prepare is doing targeted practice.

Best of luck to you!

Hey man... Kudos to uu....
Wish u get a 800. Do update abt ur preparations and schedule.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Haha thanks. Please keep us updated on your progress as well.
GMAT Club Bot