Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 22:42 It is currently 14 May 2024, 22:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11682 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Didn't I perform well or Did I get wrong score? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Nikhil,

If you have not taken a FULL CAT yet (with the Essay and IR sections), then it's likely that all of these scores are 'inflated' (because you took a shorter, easier Test each time). As you continue to study, you really MUST put an emphasis on the 'reality' of Test Day and train appropriately. With a mid-April Test Date, you still have plenty of time to study and improve.

So far, your Verbal studies have been 'book-heavy', which might end up limiting how high you score in that section. Many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. While it's too early to determine if that will happen to you, it is something that you should think about - you might need to invest in some new non-book resources (and doing so sooner, rather than later, would likely be beneficial).

1) In this Verbal section, how many questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices, but still get wrong?'
2) Did you have to rush at the end just to finish (and guess on a bunch of questions)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Didn't I perform well or Did I get wrong score? [#permalink]
Hi Rich,

Yes, I know the importance of taking FULL CATs and I will start that soon.

I don't feel like my prep has been book heavy, because that stuff (knowledge & strategies) is necessary to improve my score. Since English was third language at my school, I barely know the nomenclature of English grammar (what is adjective, what is adverb etc) and hence I need to gain that knowledge from books. Yet, I speak and write well in English.

Regarding non-book prep, I have been reading editorials, articles (from reputed sources) since few months, not regularly but I'm trying to.

My verbal score is low because of two reasons.
a. RC - I get lost in big RCs and hence answer questions incorrectly.
b. I didn't followed any strategies in first two CATs. In third one, I have followed and I could see the improvement clearly, though my score is not increased.

Answers to your questions:
1. 5 out of those 11 incorrect are the ones in which I have narrowed down to two. After analysis, I felt that I haven't concentrated enough in deciding between those two.
2. No, my time management was good in the last test. You can see that only 2 out of last 11 are incorrect.

Thanks again.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Nikhil,

If you have not taken a FULL CAT yet ...

So far, your Verbal studies have been ...

1) In this Verbal section, how many questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices, but still get wrong?'
2) Did you have to rush at the end just to finish (and guess on a bunch of questions)?

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nikhil,

When I asked what materials you have used during your studies, you listed a series of books. If there are other resources that you've used (in addition to those books), then you should list those as well. Otherwise, the description that your studies have been 'book-heavy' is accurate.

Before we can figure out how to adjust your studies so that you can hit your score goal, you really MUST take a FULL-LENGTH CAT under realistic conditions that match what you'll face on Test Day. Once you have that score result, you should post back here.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot