Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline [#permalink]
sondenso wrote:
58. Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.

A of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have

Diesel engines BURN [as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines [u]of comparable size ], as well as emitting

BURN and EMITTING are not parallel.... it should rather be BURN and EMIT.

B of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having

The HAVING suggests that it's the diesel engine itself that's been implicated

C of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have

While not the best this is the best of the lot.

D that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having

Same problem as in B. Having links to diesel engine. Besides the reference of THEY is ambigous

E that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having

Same problem as in A and B.

Sondenso...what's the source of this question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Non-Profit
Schools:R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
GMAT 2: 710  Q48  V39
Send PM
dwivedys wrote:
sondenso wrote:
58. Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.

A of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have

Diesel engines BURN [as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines [u]of comparable size ], as well as emitting

BURN and EMITTING are not parallel.... it should rather be BURN and EMIT.

B of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having

The HAVING suggests that it's the diesel engine itself that's been implicated

C of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have

While not the best this is the best of the lot.

D that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having

Same problem as in B. Having links to diesel engine. Besides the reference of THEY is ambigous

E that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having

Same problem as in A and B.

High I would choose A,
Not sure if burn and emitting are meant to be parallel in this sentence, also I would think it is incorrect to say fewer carbondioxide, it should be less carbondioxide(non-countable). Finally I would choose have been to having been at the end of the sentence.

Whats the OA?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
i get A...

emitting modifies diesel engines..its progressive noun...nothing indicates that diesel engines have stopped emitting..A is best ..

having at the end of B is just wrong..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Send PM
dwivedys wrote:

GmatPrep!. Ok, from now on, I will put GmatPrep as tilte of my post!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
sondenso wrote:
Altered Intent: having been implicated incorrectly points to engines. But the gases have been implicated NOT engines.
Don't need both 'and' + 'also'. Either and they emit or also they emit should do.
Moreover, 'they' refers to what? (diesel engines / gasoline engines?)
Also, fewer carbon dioxide is wrong. 'Less' should be used.
same as above.

Though I eliminated A as soon as I saw the 'emitting', which is not parallel with 'burn' , A is a little better than other options.
A is my choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Send PM
sondenso wrote:

B, D and E are wrong for using "haing".

A is not parallel. "as well as" joins two parallel phrases.

C is the right answer (although not the best, because it uses also).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Send PM
saravalli wrote:
sondenso wrote:
Altered Intent: having been implicated incorrectly points to engines. But the gases have been implicated NOT engines.
Don't need both 'and' + 'also'. Either and they emit or also they emit should do.
Moreover, 'they' refers to what? (diesel engines / gasoline engines?)
Also, fewer carbon dioxide is wrong. 'Less' should be used.
same as above.

Though I eliminated A as soon as I saw the 'emitting', which is not parallel with 'burn' , A is a little better than other options.
A is my choice.

rw6183 wrote:
My approach towards SC is always unconventional

dwivedys wrote:

ventivish wrote:
also I would think it is incorrect to say fewer carbondioxide, it should be less carbondioxide(non-countable)

saravalli, rw6183, dwivedys, ventivish, all of you are a monster of SC, I think so! :lol:

OA is A.

fresinha12 wrote:
emitting modifies diesel engines..its progressive noun

Btw, fresinha12, can you tell me how this "progressive noun" relating to "diesel engines"? If correct, I think it modifies "gasoline engines"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Send PM
B,D,E are out beacause of "having' at the end.

i would chose A over c, although it has improper parallel structure. for two reasons :
1) it does not have ambiguous "they"
2) fewer CO2 is wrong , it should be less CO2.
thnks,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 382 [0]
Send PM
abhaypratapsingh wrote:

can someone explain me why "having" is wrong here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Send PM
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.
A of comparable size , as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that haveparallel issues
C of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have 'and' and 'also' is redundant. Use of 'they' confusing.
parallel issues

B survives!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 682 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
rpmodi wrote:
abhaypratapsingh wrote:

can someone explain me why "having" is wrong here?

Correct verb form is have been(present perfect continous).

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts