It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 17:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Difference between Master and Master of Science?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Difference between Master and Master of Science? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 01:39
Hey guys! I'm pursuing a bachelor degree in Italy, I will graduate soon and plan to continue my studies.

Now, I have a huge doubt: what's the difference between a "Masters" and a "MSc / Master of Science" in different countries?

Here in Italy, our top university (Bocconi) offers both Masters and MSc courses: Msc courses are very competitive and quite hard to get into, while Masters basically have no entry requirements (indeed I know plenty of people applying for MSc but almost none applying for Masters). How is the situation in other countries?

In France, if we take Hec as an example, their flagship Grande Ecole program is called "Masters" (Masters in management), while the other courses with less reputation (well, I mean relatively..it's still Hec!) are called "Master of Science".

Let's take United Kingdom. In LSE, they both offer "Masters" (e.g. Masters in management) and Msc courses (e.g. Msc in management and strategy). In LBS, on the other hand, they only offer Masters and not Msc courses.

Now, some of the courses I want to apply for are technically called Masters (e.g. LBS masters in management) while others are called "Master of Science" (Hec MSc in Strategic management; Bocconi MSc in International management).
So, what's the main difference between a Masters and a Master of Science or is it just a different way to name the same thing?

Thanks for the help guys!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Concentration: Technology, General Management
Difference between Master and Master of Science? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 02:47
Louvre886 wrote:
Hey guys! I'm pursuing a bachelor degree in Italy, I will graduate soon and plan to continue my studies.

Now, I have a huge doubt: what's the difference between a "Masters" and a "MSc / Master of Science" in different countries?

Here in Italy, our top university (Bocconi) offers both Masters and MSc courses: Msc courses are very competitive and quite hard to get into, while Masters basically have no entry requirements (indeed I know plenty of people applying for MSc but almost none applying for Masters). How is the situation in other countries?

In France, if we take Hec as an example, their flagship Grande Ecole program is called "Masters" (Masters in management), while the other courses with less reputation (well, I mean relatively..it's still Hec!) are called "Master of Science".

Let's take United Kingdom. In LSE, they both offer "Masters" (e.g. Masters in management) and Msc courses (e.g. Msc in management and strategy). In LBS, on the other hand, they only offer Masters and not Msc courses.

Now, some of the courses I want to apply for are technically called Masters (e.g. LBS masters in management) while others are called "Master of Science" (Hec MSc in Strategic management; Bocconi MSc in International management).
So, what's the main difference between a Masters and a Master of Science or is it just a different way to name the same thing?

Thanks for the help guys!

Hi, I'm Italian too and I just got my bachelor degree in Bocconi. I decided to continue with a MSc abroad, and I have the same doubts.
I guess it is because the MSc in many countries is not a "necessary choice" as it is in Italy. In fact, I found out that many Master of Science programs are especially aiming to students who want to continue after the master with a Ph.D., while it's common for students not interested in the academic field to start working after the bachelor degree. I think it is the reason why the MBA is more popular than the MSc.

Let's keep in touch, maybe we can help each other to orientate among these doubts.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Difference between Master and Master of Science? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 01:08
Hi Tony46,

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one having these doubts. I agree with you on the different "necessity" of a masters degree in Italy and abroad. In any case, I'm doing some further research, if I find something worth considering, I'll post it here.

Btw, which schools are you planning to apply for? :)

Re: Difference between Master and Master of Science?   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2015, 01:08

Difference between Master and Master of Science?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: carcass

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap