Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:48 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V31
Send PM
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Send PM
Re: Different mammals in many parts of the world have what is [#permalink]
I got B by POE...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
Different mammals in many parts of the world have what is known as 'headgear.' Horns, made of heratin, that are found on animals like sheep and cattle are considered headgear. Antlers, made of bone, that are found on some members of the deer family are also considerd headgears. All animals that possess headgears share two common characteristics: they have hooves and they are herbivores. Since we know that the Asian Musk Deer is a member of the deer family, that is has hooves, and that it is a herbivore, we can conclude that it has headgear.

Given the information in the passage above, the conclution is unsound because:

a) Deer's headgear is made of keratin

b) Not all deer have headgear

c) Asian Musk Deer do not have horns.

d) The Asian Musk Deer is not a mammal.

e) The conclusion above is sound.

guys, I think this is an awesome CR question to practice with. I tried drawing a diagram, but i'm not sure if it is completely correct and would need your input. This is what i've come up with in the attachment. If you think i'm missing something, please feel free to add your diagram, but i'm certain that drawing a diagram would make it easier to visualize and understand this argument.

, made of bone, that are found on some members of the deer family are also considerd headgears.

this sentence has lead me to pick B.

A: this would make the conclusion sound
C: doesnt necessarily make it unsound. its not the best answer
D: irrelevant
E: this was actually tempting for a bit b/c everything seemed in order.

I reread the passage and the sentence above is in line with B.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2761 [0]
Send PM
B. It is said in the passage that: Antlers, made of bone, that are found on some members of the deer family are also considerd headgears.
It means that not every deer has headgears.
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
drawing a diagram can be a helpful tool whenever you feel that you're brain is turning blank when reading text with plenty of information. I don't use this diagram 90% of the time, but it's helpful to learn how to use it whenever you feel it's necessary. one of the verbal teachers from gmaxonline taught me this approach through the one-to-one online tutoring. very useful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
 Q50  V31
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
hi amar. heheh....what did you mean by that comment. that i'm doing well or am i wasting energy unefficiently? i'd like to know either way ;) if you managed to understand immediately after reading, well that's great cause for me at least, i had difficulty following up with too much information. how did you approach it?

Well take it in the positive spirit buddy. Irrespective of whether you got it in first time, your efforts to understand and your desire to learn are commendable. :) Remember labor never goes to vain, you will reap of every inch you sow... good luck

Amar
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Send PM
I like B too
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
OA is B
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
amar, hehe...i didn't take it in the wrong way buddy. i only laughed cause here i am trying so hard to learn and understand and then i saw other people like you able to answer such question easily. then i started laughing to myself saying that "damn, when am i every gonna get there?." to be honest, i've been studying for 6 months and it's really tiring. i'm having my test next week on the 13th of december. so any clue or help that you have that you think will be valuable to me, i'd really appreciate it to know about it! although i speak english fluently, the verbal section of this test is just a nightmare! no matter how many idioms you learn, you will always come across even more idioms that you didn't know about. it just never ends...heheh...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2075 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
Different mammals in many parts of the world have what is known as 'headgear.' Horns, made of heratin, that are found on animals like sheep and cattle are considered headgear. Antlers, made of bone, that are found on some members of the deer family are also considerd headgears. All animals that possess headgears share two common characteristics: they have hooves and they are herbivores. Since we know that the Asian Musk Deer is a member of the deer family, that is has hooves, and that it is a herbivore, we can conclude that it has headgear.

Given the information in the passage above, the conclution is unsound because:

a) Deer's headgear is made of keratin

b) Not all deer have headgear

c) Asian Musk Deer do not have horns.

d) The Asian Musk Deer is not a mammal.

e) The conclusion above is sound.

guys, I think this is an awesome CR question to practice with. I tried drawing a diagram, but i'm not sure if it is completely correct and would need your input. This is what i've come up with in the attachment. If you think i'm missing something, please feel free to add your diagram, but i'm certain that drawing a diagram would make it easier to visualize and understand this argument.

, made of bone, that are found on some members of the deer family are also considerd headgears.

this sentence has lead me to pick B.

A: this would make the conclusion sound
C: doesnt necessarily make it unsound. its not the best answer
D: irrelevant
E: this was actually tempting for a bit b/c everything seemed in order.

I reread the passage and the sentence above is in line with B.

Well, although the obvious answer seems B, the passage is not clear.Its testing our general knowledge only.Tarek, whats the source of this CR.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts