It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 11:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ding Dong, I'm a Bell Tower: Random Rants Page.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Ding Dong, I'm a Bell Tower: Random Rants Page. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2008, 20:43
Rant: before I left for my 2 week trip, I forgot to take out the trash. Eww. :(

Rave: a finished a client project! woo! no more 16 hr days for a few more weeks! :)

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Schools: Harvard '11

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2008, 21:08
Rave: Had my Cornell interview/visit yesterday, and everything about Johnson was just fantastic.

Rant: On my way back from Cornell, my flight from Ithaca to Philly got canceled, so I had to drive an hour to Syracuse (+$110 for a rental car) and then take random flights back home....crashed on my bed at 1:30am after getting up at 4am that morning. Not a happy camper today.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 8

Schools: Oxford'10

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2008, 08:39
Rant: 1.5 Dings so far out of 2. (LBS fully dinged me and Cambridge put me on an Interview Waitlist). Not sure were I am headed.

Rave: Spent 3 weeks in NZ after two years away. Absolutely got away from MBA Applications and work and now starting R2.

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2008, 18:11
Rant: 1 ding so far, already feel burnout.

Rave: My 18 months daughter started dancing.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2008, 18:51
Rant: Dinged by Wharton :(

Rave: Looking forward to my Chicago interview on Friday :)

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2008, 19:14
Soni, sorry about the ding.

Hopefully you're planning on meeting a few clubbers when you're here on the 21st. Is it another GSB Live (or whatever they're calling it now)?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 10

Schools: Kellogg School of Management

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2008, 05:05
Rave: Feeling really strong about two first round schools

Rant: Can't afford to wait for an admit so have no choice but to work on my second round applications even though I think I will not need them...

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 10

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 29

Schools: Cornell '11

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2008, 07:24
Rave: Was accepted to my safety school super early, and invited to interview at one of my top choices.

Rant: Dinged without interview by Oxbridge. I think they are still mad about the whole declaration of independence thing. Bloody wankers.

"George is getting upset!"

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 29

Director
Director

Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2008, 10:26
Irishfan wrote:
Soni, sorry about the ding.

Hopefully you're planning on meeting a few clubbers when you're here on the 21st. Is it another GSB Live (or whatever they're calling it now)?

Yeah, sure I'd be willing to meet any GMATclubber. I'll send some PMs out this week and see who's available.

GSB Live was a couple days ago, Nov 14th. How are you liking Chicago Booth so far Irish?

edit: purpose of the Booth visit is my on-campus interview

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Schools: Kellogg 2011

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2008, 09:50
YihWei wrote:
GoBruins wrote:
no backups??

My columbia essays were on my USB stick which I stuffed into the washing machine, however it survived 17 minutes in the wash cycle. Unfortunately, my iphone didn't.

Apparently, I'm not smart enough to back up my data. If I had been, I still wouldn't have had a computer to use to access my data.

LOL @ the memory stick. I have one of those now. I wonder if mine'll survive 17 minutes in the washer...

Google docs are the way to go. You can work on (and access) them anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection. The formatting options suck, but no more backing up!

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 9

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2008, 10:29
Rant: Why the hell can't Google, with all the geniuses they have working there, get any software out of 'beta'?

From an article: "Someone finally took the time to do a count of all the Google apps marked 'beta.' Fully 45% of its products carry that familiar tag — including 4-year-old Gmail."

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 9

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Schools: Booth 2012

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2008, 11:35
That's a very risky move!! Google isn't immune to data loss. Unlikely, maybe... but i wouldn't risk it.

I usually have 3+ copies of whatever I'm working on. My laptop, a backup drive (automatically backs up wirelessly), and my email server usually all have a copy at any given time.

cs11 wrote:

Google docs are the way to go. You can work on (and access) them anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection. The formatting options suck, but no more backing up!

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager

Schools: Georgetown '11

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2008, 12:08
Rants: 2 month wait between last application submission and first response. Schools that release admits/interviews on a rolling basis but don't release dings until the deadline date: this just seems mean. Not only did you not get in, but also you've had to sit around waiting for a response for 2 or more months.

Raves: taking 3 weeks off before diving into round 2 applications in december was a good idea.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2008, 12:40
jb32 wrote:
Rant: Why the hell can't Google, with all the geniuses they have working there, get any software out of 'beta'?

From an article: "Someone finally took the time to do a count of all the Google apps marked 'beta.' Fully 45% of its products carry that familiar tag — including 4-year-old Gmail."

Why take it out of beta... Everyone is using it anyways, and if something goes wrong you can just say "hey it's beta testing"

That's why they are geniuses.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2008, 17:30
GoBruins wrote:
First off, Note to anyone else who's going to apply columbia, Seems the most engineer unfriendly school EVER...

Hey GoBruins, would you mind elaborating why CBS is unfriendly to engineers? I've heard they are more GPA sensitive than others, which IMO would lead to less engineers, but haven't heard it specifically to a certain group of applicants.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Current Student

Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2008, 18:26
kidro2001 wrote:
GoBruins wrote:
First off, Note to anyone else who's going to apply columbia, Seems the most engineer unfriendly school EVER...

Hey GoBruins, would you mind elaborating why CBS is unfriendly to engineers? I've heard they are more GPA sensitive than others, which IMO would lead to less engineers, but haven't heard it specifically to a certain group of applicants.

Um, seems like the personality of the school.. This is only my opinion, but since i was keeping track of the spread sheet for CBS for a short while, you can tell trends. There just wasn't alot of engineers who got accepted, many of whom had Masters degrees and strong undergrad GPA's, I would say as a group, engineers have strong GMAT scores, so I think engineers aren't what they want from ED. From the small data set, there was a trend toward finance/Consultants.

I personally think engineers will open up, but I think being that's it ED and binding, CBS grabbed alot of the main wall-street types which have a lot of options typically. Most likely they will backfill in the RD rounds.

I personally don't think they are that grade sensitive, since the GPA ranges were pretty in the admits.

My opinion now is that, CBS is more about networking the academics, and they like people who can smooze. I would say it's the party school of the bunch.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2008, 09:35
rant: ding from Columbia. oh well that's old news.
rave: break even in Vegas. winning covered all the expenses. :lol: Free entertainment! Highly recommend Zoomanity, if anyone is going to see a show in vegas. Wish the vacation was longer.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 07:41
Rant: my Columbia interviewer has not submitted the feedback yet... please hurry... pretty please.

Rave: Going to Ireland this weekend and back to Italy the following one... will party like crazy and try and forget about this MBA stuff for a bit.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Ding Dong, I'm a Bell Tower: Random Rants Page.   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2008, 07:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 38 posts ] 

Ding Dong, I'm a Bell Tower: Random Rants Page.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap