Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [2]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: disappointed with the mock test score [#permalink]
Kudos
Buddy,
First of all, Don't get demoralized. There are many on this forum who have score in 300s and 400s during the mocks and subsequently with diligent hard work crossed even 700, so keep your morale high.
That's said, i feel that you got to postpone the exam date if you are consistently scoring around 500 and you intend scoring around 700.
Moreover, You need to work on the fundamentals in both as scope exist in both quant and verbal.
Hope that helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Send PM
Re: disappointed with the mock test score [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gaurav2016 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
gaurav2016 wrote:
today i took gmat prep mock test and got only 500 ,quite disappointed with the verbal performance.
planning to take exam in next month.what should i do,can anyone help ?

Yes, people can help but you need to first put in the effort to get help. Just saying that you got 500 doesn't tell anyone anything. There could be a million reasons why you got 500. You need to elaborate your story as much as possible so that you get some advice useful for you particular situation. You need to talk about your strengths and weaknesses, what you have done till now to overcome weaknesses, which are the areas where you need more help, what is your target score, your Q/V split etc.

The only advice I can give with this information is 'study hard from a set of Verbal books and practice'.

I got v21/q38 few weeks back and decided to extend the gmat date.My verbal score was poor than i decided to work specifically on CR and RC .

Please suggest how can i improve timing in CR and RC.

I think your pressing problem right now is getting your basics in order. As pointed out by rajeevrks27, there is enough scope in both Quant and Verbal. You may wish to review a complete set of books rather than cherry picking. That will help you improve across the board. Alternatively, a full course would be quite useful too. Either way, to go from 500 to 700, you need a couple of months of serious study.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
help neeeded [#permalink]
please help!!

I took a mock test yesterday and got V-28/Q42. As suggested above,i took full MGMAT SC course and CR course but my verbal score is still not improving.I practice 20 SC+ 20 CR+3 RC daily.i have only 20 days left ,please suggest how can i take verbal from 28 to 44 ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Send PM
Re: help neeeded [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gaurav2016 wrote:
please help!!

I took a mock test yesterday and got V-28/Q42. As suggested above,i took full MGMAT SC course and CR course but my verbal score is still not improving.I practice 20 SC+ 20 CR+3 RC daily.i have only 20 days left ,please suggest how can i take verbal from 28 to 44 ?

In my opinion, improvement in Verbal takes a little more time than improvement in Quant because once you understand a concept well in Quant, you need a little bit of practice to see how to apply it in most average questions. On the other hand, even after you understand what you have to do in Verbal, it takes a lot more effort to actually do it. Hence going through a book may not give you the desired results. You need to do and then, more importantly, thoroughly analyze lots of practice questions. You need to understand what the author was trying to say that you missed (or understood) in each question. You need to pay heed to every written word because it is there for a reason. There have to be takeaways so that you don't make the same mistakes again. You have to try out the various strategies suggested in your books and then adopt one according to your comfort and then practice it. You might need to tweak it on a regular basis. Also, a slight difference in the wording changes the question altogether (the way it happens in P&C questions). You need to understand these subtle differences. Let me give you an example:

Say you read up on various question types in CR. Great! So now you know that there are strengthen questions and inference questions (and many others). So you look at a question stem and say that it is a strengthen question because it is looking for support for the conclusion. But it could very well be an inference question if you change the placing of two words. So half a page in our book discusses just how to identify this difference. There are many such little things that you need to think about. With practice, you will develop an eye for them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
gaurav2016 wrote:
please help!!

In my opinion, improvement in Verbal takes a little more time than improvement in Quant because once you understand a concept well in Quant, you need a little bit of practice to see how to apply it in most average questions. On the other hand, even after you understand what you have to do in Verbal, it takes a lot more effort to actually do it. Hence going through a book may not give you the desired results. You need to do and then, more importantly, thoroughly analyze lots of practice questions. You need to understand what the author was trying to say that you missed (or understood) in each question. You need to pay heed to every written word because it is there for a reason. There have to be takeaways so that you don't make the same mistakes again. You have to try out the various strategies suggested in your books and then adopt one according to your comfort and then practice it. You might need to tweak it on a regular basis. Also, a slight difference in the wording changes the question altogether (the way it happens in P&C questions). You need to understand these subtle differences. Let me give you an example:

Say you read up on various question types in CR. Great! So now you know that there are strengthen questions and inference questions (and many others). So you look at a question stem and say that it is a strengthen question because it is looking for support for the conclusion. But it could very well be an inference question if you change the placing of two words. So half a page in our book discusses just how to identify this difference. There are many such little things that you need to think about. With practice, you will develop an eye for them.

Hey,
Thanks for the help.After thoroughly studying OG and MGMAT i am getting V-30/Q-46 ,verbal score is quite disappointing.I mark 70 % of the wrong question correct during the review of the wrong answers.Can you please help regarding this issue ? what could be the reason ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gaurav2016 wrote:
gaurav2016 wrote:
please help!!

Hey,
Thanks for the help.After thoroughly studying OG and MGMAT i am getting V-30/Q-46 ,verbal score is quite disappointing.I mark 70 % of the wrong question correct during the review of the wrong answers.Can you please help regarding this issue ? what could be the reason ?

If I were to guess, I would say time pressure. While reviewing you know you have free time and you read carefully, understand thoroughly and then try. So rather than a conceptual problem, it looks like time management issue. Divide time evenly - it is easier to do in Verbal. Try to stay focused, don't let your mind wander and practice reading a little faster but closely.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: [#permalink]