It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disappointing score- but i wnt give up

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Disappointing score- but i wnt give up [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2008, 18:26
I gave GMAT on 27th September. This was my second chance. But the scores are disappointing. :cry: I got 610 with break up as follows
Quant-47
Verbal-27
last time also verbal shattered me . I got 25 in my last attempt (Total score was 580 ,Quant 44, Verbal 25)
I dnt know where did the things go wrong this time? In fact while giving the test i was feeling very confident in Verbal as i faced some boldface problems also. Though i was a bit apprehensive in Quant section but i was able 2 finish verbal 5 minutes early.
But I wnt give up. I will keep on trying till I come in 700+. The very next thing I did after coming out of the test centre was looking for a cyber cafe 4 next appointment. I found one nearby &took appointment for December again. This time I wanna give special emphasis on Verbal section. Kindly help me in that.
What should be my strategy while preparing? I have already done OG 3 times. Please help

Last edited by ritula on 29 Sep 2008, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 460 [1], given: 14

Re: Disappointing score- but i wnt give up [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 00:33
This post received
KUDOS
Hi

First of all hats off to you for showing this "Never to say die spirit" and secondly I dont think 610 is a bad score, if you have a good amount of quality experience and killer essay's

Even I had attempted GMAT for the second time but couldn't even manage to touch the mean score... but I think we don't have anything to loose and lot to learn... so just keep moving and you will definitely touch the mark....

My suggestion is don't be in a hurry to give gmat just because you have to quickly get into a B school, analyze your mistakes and find where u went wrong....

And finally participate in the GMAT forum and start answering to questions posted by other members I hope this is the correct and effective way to have an intellectual environment ...

Rest good luck and keep moving

Regards
Gurpreet

Kudos [?]: 460 [1], given: 14

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 704 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 00:45
ritula wrote:
I gave GMAT on 27th September. This was my second chance. But the scores are disappointing. :cry: I got 610 with break up as follows
Quant-47
Verbal-27
last time also verbal shattered me . I got 25 in my last attempt (Total score was 580 ,Quant 44, Verbal 25)
I dnt know where did the things go wrong this time? In fact while giving the test i was feeling very confident in Verbal as i faced some boldface problems also. Though i was a bit apprehensive in Quant section but i was able 2 finish verbal 5 minutes early.
But I wnt give up. I will keep on trying till I dnt come in 700+. The very next thing I did after coming out of the test centre was looking for a cyber cafe 4 next appointment. I found one nearby &took appointment for December again. This time I wanna give special emphasis on Verbal section. Kindly help me in that.
What should be my strategy while preparing? I have already done OG 3 times. Please help

First of all, its good to know you are determined to CRACK the GMAT. I am sure you will make it.

How much did you score in your practice tests ? Especially verbal part.

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 01:53
In Practice test, I scored 650 and 710 respectively. VErbal scores were 32 and 35 respectively.

amitdgr wrote:
ritula wrote:
Quant-47
Verbal-27
But I wnt give up. I will keep on trying till I dnt come in 700+. The very next thing I did after coming out of the test centre was looking for a cyber cafe 4 next appointment. I found one nearby &took appointment for December again. This time I wanna give special emphasis on Verbal section. Kindly help me in that.

First of all, its good to know you are determined to CRACK the GMAT. I am sure you will make it.

How much did you score in your practice tests ? Especially verbal part.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 04:00
What practice test did you use to examine where you stand on the test? What type of resources (books, etc.) did you use to study for the GMAT? Also, there is a verbal section on this forum where there might be some questions you can take a look at to answer when you have spare time.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 22

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 04:08
I assume that you have posted the scores from your GMATPrep tests. Did you take full length tests i mean AWA+QUANT+VERBAL ? How many full length tests you took ?

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 210

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 07:01
Ritula, you'll benefit from fine tuning your verbal weaknesses. Try to assess the following :
1. Which section in verbal you get wrong the most ? CR ? RC ? SC ?
2. Which section do you tend to spend most of your time on ? perhaps you're spending too much time reading ? I know others who have over come this by practicing skim/speed reading.
3. Also perhaps you are finding it difficult to transition from taking tests on paper to taking tests on screen. I know I read a LOT better on paper than I do on screen. That alone can make a difference of 2-3 points. Highly recommend Gmatter to overcome this.

Having said this - I commend you on your Q improvement. V is one push away. Good luck.

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 210

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 11:58
ritula wrote:
Quant-47
Verbal-27
But I wnt give up. I will keep on trying till I come in 700+. The very next thing I did after coming out of the test centre was looking for a cyber cafe 4 next appointment. I found one nearby &took appointment for December again. This time I wanna give special emphasis on Verbal section. Kindly help me in that.

Ritula, some questions on this:
1) From your verbal practice tests, have you isolated what areas you get wrong most often? Is it distributed across SC, RC and CRs or is it specific to one of them.
2) What is your hit rate on OG11 problems? For the questions that you get wrong, do you understand OG's guidance on how to isolate INCORRECT choices?
3) Do you maintain a log of these errors (with general concepts that you got wrong), and re-visit them from time to time?

My GMAT debrief

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 16

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 17:14
Hi All,
Thanks a lot for encouraging words and kind advice.Well yes, the scores I mentioned (650 &710) are frm GMATPREP. Regarding resources, I prepared frm OG an Kaplan (no other source).
I know that my weak area is RC. I am confident in CR but RC is my biggest weakness. Abt log of errors. Thats a great idea. I will start making it.
Again Thanks a lot 2 all esp GMATCLUB forum.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 119 [1], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 21:47
This post received
KUDOS
ritula wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks a lot for encouraging words and kind advice.Well yes, the scores I mentioned (650 &710) are frm GMATPREP. Regarding resources, I prepared frm OG an Kaplan (no other source).
I know that my weak area is RC. I am confident in CR but RC is my biggest weakness. Abt log of errors. Thats a great idea. I will start making it.

My recommendation for RCs would be to gain an overall understanding of the passage. Pay attention to the first sentence in each paragraph, as they're useful in identifying the overall flow.

After reading each paragraph, paraphrase what you just read (this need not be a detailed summary - it can be very basic). Now try answering some simple questions. What was the paragraph about? Was the author supportive, mildly skeptical, neutral or opposed to the viewpoint? Was he contrasting multiple viewpoints, or simply listing out reasons behind his support for a particular viewpoint? Once you have these figured out, it's time to move on to the next paragraph.

If you're not able to answer these questions after a few attempts, you're probably reading faster than you should be. I would recommend adjusting your speed by spending another minute or so understanding the passage better. Remember that if you don't understand an RC passage, it's likely you'll get a good portion of the 3-5 questions wrong. Not to mention what that can do to your score. So relax, and take the topic like a challenge, an opportunity to learn.

Once you reach the questions, make note of what the author asks -- "Inferred" questions require an understanding of the passage. "According to the passage" ones are almost always taken directly from the paragraph (yes, they are THAT straightforward). But their answers are generally twisted. Which is why it helps to understand the passage. Just be careful not to fall for common traps, where "approximate" facts are taken from the passage and passed on for the answer.

Hope that helps. Try this out with a few passages. This is not a short term strategy (In fact, I don't think there is such a thing. Weaknesses have to be approached at their foundations) Don't expect it to work immediately - give it some time and I don't see why your score won't improve.

My GMAT debrief

Kudos [?]: 119 [1], given: 16

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 22:38
Thanks a ton! thats a very good strategy. In fact thats exactly whr the problem lies. I was reading the pasage fast w/t fully understanding its meaning n directly jumping 2 the questions. I will follow wht u said.
Thanks again +1 frm me
incognito1 wrote:
ritula wrote:
Hi All,

My recommendation for RCs would be to gain an overall understanding of the passage. Pay attention to the first sentence in each paragraph, as they're useful in identifying the overall flow.

After reading each paragraph, paraphrase what you just read (this need not be a detailed summary - it can be very basic). Now try answering some simple questions. What was the paragraph about? Was the author supportive, mildly skeptical, neutral or opposed to the viewpoint? Was he contrasting multiple viewpoints, or simply listing out reasons behind his support for a particular viewpoint? Once you have these figured out, it's time to move on to the next paragraph.

If you're not able to answer these questions after a few attempts, you're probably reading faster than you should be. I would recommend adjusting your speed by spending another minute or so understanding the passage better. Remember that if you don't understand an RC passage, it's likely you'll get a good portion of the 3-5 questions wrong. Not to mention what that can do to your score. So relax, and take the topic like a challenge, an opportunity to learn.

Once you reach the questions, make note of what the author asks -- "Inferred" questions require an understanding of the passage. "According to the passage" ones are almost always taken directly from the paragraph (yes, they are THAT straightforward). But their answers are generally twisted. Which is why it helps to understand the passage. Just be careful not to fall for common traps, where "approximate" facts are taken from the passage and passed on for the answer.

Hope that helps. Try this out with a few passages. This is not a short term strategy (In fact, I don't think there is such a thing. Weaknesses have to be approached at their foundations) Don't expect it to work immediately - give it some time and I don't see why your score won't improve.

Re: Disappointing score- but i wnt give up   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2008, 22:38

Disappointing score- but i wnt give up

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap